Show me Your Cool "Old School" 38mm Motor Mount Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In all my years of building rockets, I have never built a kit with a 38mm mount. I just bought a 38/240 motor and reloads from Loki Research, and I am in need of a dedicated H capable rocket (no electronics). What are some cool "old-school" rocket kits that come standard with 38mm mounts?

Defined: Old School refers to paper tubes and plastic cones and plywood components... no G10 or G12 kits

I have always liked the Loc Precision Hi-Tech 45, and may just get it, but I wanted to know some of your favorites... maybe I will come across something I have not considered.

Would you mind posting up what you have and give a little back ground? Pics are mandatory... or it did not happen! Video is option and sometimes cooler than pics.

LOC Minie Magg is an obvious choice.

Hi-Tech H45 / EZI-65 built bone stock would work great, too.

Clone an NCR Phantom 4000 with a 38mm mount.

LOC Vulcanite would also work well.

I would have to say the loc Iroc is the best choice . 5.5 inches in diameter so it is a nice fat rocket , but it is still almost 5 feet tall ( 56 inches if I can remember ) . You should get abo 600 feet with the H144 .

Eric

I built the 4" Madcow Patriot for my L1. All cardboard and plywood with a plastic nosecone. If you want to go without electronics, a 4" kit is nice: keeps it low and slow. Kit was high quality and forgiving to build.

Here's a video of my L1: WARNING, loud rock music soundtrack (some find this annoying). At the end are some pix of my son and his friends, who were at least temporarily impressed by the old man.

[video=youtube_share;f3Wx_gvcEro]https://youtu.be/f3Wx_gvcEro[/video]

HyperLoc 300 would be quite sweet and old school. Granted that's a 54mm mount but an adapter can easily rectify that...

I have flown my bare-stock EZI-65 on a 3-grain, 29mm H motor. Went about a thousand feet or so.

The H45 is probably a better choice, simply because it has a dedicated 38mm mount.. In fact, I think there are many Loc kits which fit your requirements.

How did you get your level two by not flying 38mm? Did you jump right into 54mm.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, my Javelin XL.

Not a kit, but it probably meets the definition of "old school" (or in my world, contemporary). All heavy-walled Semroc (airframe) and ASP (38mm motor tube) paper tubing, hand-cut (pull-saw, utility knife and lots of sanding) plywood fins with bamboo on the exposed edges, hand-cut (X-Acto knife) fin slots, homemade motor mount and e-bay, and large (hardened) Semroc balsa nose cone. Middle and aft centering rings on the motor mount are phenolic from GLR, while forward (white) CR was built-up with strips of cardstock. GLR Slimline motor retainer. Hardware from Ace Hardware. Kevlar for shock cord from CDI. Plywood stock for fins and e-bay bulkheads from Michael's Crafts and BMS. Rail buttons were from LOC.

Successfully flown (maiden flight) for Level 1 certification in May 2011 on AT H165R using a homemade 29-38 motor adapter. Video clip (sorry for the poor quality and lack of sound) is of this flight.

DSCF0507-1.JPG
DSCF0020.JPG
Javelin+XL-3.jpg

[YOUTUBE]cWM8_tPpO5E[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
How did you get your level two by not flying 38mm? Did you jump right into 54mm.

My level 1 was a 29mm H128 and my level 2 was a 54mm HyperTEK J300.

I do own a rocket with a 38mm mount, but it was a North Coast Rocketry SA-14 Archer that I built with a 54mm upgrade, and then I ended up permanently mounting a 38mm adaptor in place...

I sometimes forget that Mad Cow sells old school buildable kits... I will have to check them out.

I do like the IRoc from LOC, but would rahter have the EZI-65... cata gorizing rockets like Salsa, you have mild, medium and HOT fliers... the EZI-65 ranks between mild and medium on an H-load and the Hi-Tech 45 ranks medium to HOT on an H-load.

I have considered the scratch design using a custom "Hybrid Dart" that dixontj93060 designed, it is a sleek 2.56" rocket with a 38mm mount.

I suggest you also look at the kits from Binder Design.

Mike Fisher makes some nice kits that take a bit more work to assemble (hand slotting, drilling CRs for recovery attachment, etc.) but if you're willing to do that, you can get a nice looking rocket.

I'm currently building the Stealth in DD configuration, as I took advantage of his holiday special of a free av-bay with any kit over $99.

G.D.

I suggest you also look at the kits from Binder Design.

Mike Fisher makes some nice kits that take a bit more work to assemble (hand slotting, drilling CRs for recovery attachment, etc.) but if you're willing to do that, you can get a nice looking rocket.

I'm currently building the Stealth in DD configuration, as I took advantage of his holiday special of a free av-bay with any kit over $99.

G.D.

I love Binder Design, specifically the Raptor.

I have also found a sport scale Sandhawk kit in 3" that I did not know that Loc carried... Looks promising.

If I were to not go old school, I would go for the Dark Star Jr.

I like the Darkstar Jr. It flies high on smaller motors, and can be used single-deploy in "short mode" for even smaller motors and fields. I refer to that configuration on flight cards as "Junior Darkstar Jr."

+1 for the madcow phoenix. Mine will eat cti 2 and 3 grain motors all afternoon. And a big +1 to the folks at mad cow, my kit came with a warped fin, and after I couldn't fix it, I shot them an e-mail, and a whole new set was at my door in less than a week.

My L1 was a LOC I-ROC on a I-357 then adapted with the extended payload and then did my L2 on a J-600.

image-927244108.jpg

image-2584627401.jpg

Right now it is a toss up between the Madcow 4" Phoenix and the Loc Precision 3" Sandhawk... I just received an Aerotech H180-M relaod that would really do well to hammer the snot out of either rocket, but I bet the Phoenix would look better taking the beating.

If I was to buy a kit it would have to be that Phoenix. I have the estes one and would love to get a bigger one.

I had an Estes Phoenix many moons ago... that bird loved the Aerotech E18... Traded that rocket off, so like you, owning the larger version may get my fix back!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the LOC-IV. How much more old school can you get? It's a classic 3FNC.

[YOUTUBE]Uz8PMY0xPkg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZL1EFWmxnaY[/YOUTUBE]

LOC-IV_me.JPG

LOC-IV_skidmark1.jpg

LOC-IV_skidmark2.jpg

LOC-IV_smoky1.jpg

LOC-IV.jpg

[YOUTUBE]cyV0PMamHM8[/YOUTUBE]

My phoenix on a windy day. I use a 44" skyangle for recovery, never had an issue with broken fins (yet... fingers crossed). It does come down pretty softly, though.

ps. it whistles :wink:

[YOUTUBE]cyV0PMamHM8[/YOUTUBE]

My phoenix on a windy day. I use a 44" skyangle for recovery, never had an issue with broken fins (yet... fingers crossed). It does come down pretty softly, though.

ps. it whistles :wink:

Thanks for the video... looked a little squirely off the pad there... What was the motor?

Back