Planning on going for Level 1 at Orangeburg, SC UPDATE: Level 1 SUCCESSFUL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VARifleman

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while now as you can tell from my join date. I had flown a lot of low power to mid power when I was younger (6-18 years old, up to F motors), and then got out of it for a while. I've been looking at getting my Level 1 with Tripoli using a PML 1/4 Patriot (with a 54mm kwik-switch). The rocket is partway completed and wonder if ya'll have some advise for me on this. Pic of the current state of the build attached.

IMG_20130601_152824_306.jpg

Looking at the July launch for the date of the cert flight, what do ya'll suggest I bring for that?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Go for it and good luck, throw in a Aerotech I211 for your L1 then a J500 for your L2, good luck and keep us posted on your cert flight.
I did my L1 cert flight on a Loc/Percision Patriot on a 38mm H123

If you can bring er to the next launch,June 8,9 I will donate your cert motor!!. I have CTI and AT 29 thru 54. I would recommend CTI for ease of assembly. I have all the necessary hardware you can use if you need to. This offer is for the June launch only!! LOL!!

Great offer from Jim to donate your motor for your level 1 cert! I too would go with a CTI motor. Come down in June for your cert 1 flight then come back in July for cert 2!:wink: The rocket does NOT have to be painted to certify...

BTW, Ken Allen from Performance hobbies should be on site so you can buy more goodies if you need or should I say WANT them.

Hope to see you!

That's very generous of you, Jim. Hopefully I can get it ready in time then.

Since the June launch is a NAR event, would I be able to certify as a Tripoli member? I was thinking about using Tripoli for use of research motors down the road.

Edited to add:

Are there launch rods or rails at the launch site?

Last edited:
Yes, there are many of us that belong to both TRA and NAR. There are plenty of rails and rods. I prefer rails though.

Last edited:
I will be there for both the June and July launches. If you need any help with your rocket or cert please look me up

Charlie

I epoxied in the bulkplate for the payload bay. Since I may use this with a J motor in the future I used #6 stainless wood screws to hold the payload bay together so I can take it apart and add necessary nose weight and an altimeter if I need to go that route in the future. I've sanded down some of the flashing and lines in the nose cone, but it still shows through. Should I coat this in a little epoxy to fill and sand or try to get a paint to fill it?

IMG_20130601_204520_695.jpg

I epoxied in the bulkplate for the payload bay. Since I may use this with a J motor in the future I used #6 stainless wood screws to hold the payload bay together so I can take it apart and add necessary nose weight and an altimeter if I need to go that route in the future. I've sanded down some of the flashing and lines in the nose cone, but it still shows through. Should I coat this in a little epoxy to fill and sand or try to get a paint to fill it?

View attachment 131724

Epoxy don't hold very well on plastic. I would take the orbital sander to it. Or a lot of elbow grease will get it smooth.

Good luck. I will not make June, but I will be there for July. Hopefully you can make that launch too.

I will be there after about 2 PM Saturday. If Ed Fenton isn't there, I can witness Tripoli cert flights as a TAP member.

I appreciate all the responses and support. Ya'll are great. I've been scuffing this to get it ready for paint. I just ordered a motor retainer and some rail guides from PML. I'll have to order some 80/20 rail from grainger to check it, but I feel like I should be able to get it aligned alright. I may just do both rail guides and launch lugs, the thing is a draggy beast anyway.

Here's where it stands tonight...

IMG_20130602_221310_964.jpg

Got some more goodies from PML. I have my linear rail guides installed (carefully aligned, expoxied and screwed). As soon as the epoxy sets more I'll put on the motor retainer.

Edited to add: Just joined Tripoli.

Last edited:
VARifleman, I wont be able to make the June launch, last minuite snaffus. If you do certify look me up at the July launch and I will replace your cert motor. A promise is a promise afterall!!! Ya'll have fun,I will be there in July with some really neat stuff!!

Something that I was planning on for Sunday has been moved up. I'll need to head to Charleston tomorrow afternoon.

I could make it tomorrow, however I won't have much time on site. :(

The rocket is ready to go, though.

I'll be there in July, I'm gonna try to make it tomorrow though, if only for a little bit.

Do swing by to say hello if you can! Looking forward to meeting you.

I intend to, I may only have a half hour or an hour or so. I was there last July and met some of y'all when I was thinking about starting this project.

Hope to see you in July. This will be my first trip to Orangeburg.

I was glad to meet y'all today, I'm looking forward to see y'all again in July for my level 1 launch.

After having to forgo launching this, I'm now going to have some time to get this ready to accept any motor the mount can hold. My plan is below, using a 1/4" eyebolt for shock cord attachment to the payload section, and a length of 1/4" allthread connected to it with a coupling nut. This extends to the tip of the nose cone, and is stiffened from buckling by passing through a bulkplate just below the shoulder of the nosecone.

This can be attached and removed as needed, left out for 29mm launches, and be installed and loaded up to maintain 1 caliber on a 3 grain J. Anyone see any potential problems? Any different way I should approach this? Thanks.

1-4Patriot-w54mmKS.jpg

The whole threaded rod things just seems too complicated and too heavy.

I think I would just make the av-bay functional. Put a shock cord between the av-bay and the nose cone and add enough masking tape to the nose cone shoulder to keep it from coming off. You can still use the threaded part in the tip of the nose cone to add weight if you need it.

If you do that, you can easily add DD.

The whole threaded rod things just seems too complicated and too heavy.

I think I would just make the av-bay functional. Put a shock cord between the av-bay and the nose cone and add enough masking tape to the nose cone shoulder to keep it from coming off. You can still use the threaded part in the tip of the nose cone to add weight if you need it.

If you do that, you can easily add DD.

Certainly a good idea there. I have been considering using DD for the 3-6k foot apogee when it's flow on full I and J. One thing I noticed for this was the Archetype cable cutter, I could eject a small drogue and the main with the piston off motor ejection and then release the main at a specified altitude. Looking through the design of this I have doubts that I could rework it for a dual break dual deploy while maintaining stability and the correct length of the rocket.

Certainly a good idea there. I have been considering using DD for the 3-6k foot apogee when it's flow on full I and J. One thing I noticed for this was the Archetype cable cutter, I could eject a small drogue and the main with the piston off motor ejection and then release the main at a specified altitude. Looking through the design of this I have doubts that I could rework it for a dual break dual deploy while maintaining stability and the correct length of the rocket.

You should have enough room for a chute and shock cord. Even if the weight creeps up to 7 lbs, use tubular kevlar for forward shock cord to reduce the space needed and you should still have plenty of room. The added weight of the main forward recovery and av-bay should make the rocket over stable if anything. The weathercocking that can result because of overstability can actually help limit your walk on higher flights.

Back