BLU....smarter bomb FINISHED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, he do something,:headbang: Every day, I check this tread to see the progress.

so you can tell folks that it is a laser-guided weapon. (Careful, half of them will believe it, and someone will try to turn you in to the feds.)

The one I`m doing is actually a dedicated smart bomb, as opposed to a Mk82 or whatever with a strap on navigation and radar rider.

Your GBU (or LGB ?) model looks interesting. Are you going to make the aft fins fold-able, or fixed (deployed) in the flight condition?

Maybe print a great big "BANG" (in bold print) across the parachute?

so you can tell folks that it is a laser-guided weapon. (Careful, half of them will believe it, and someone will try to turn you in to the feds.)

Your GBU (or LGB ?) model looks interesting. Are you going to make the aft fins fold-able, or fixed (deployed) in the flight condition?

Maybe print a great big "BANG" (in bold print) across the parachute?

The fins will be in full deploy ,but they will be made to look like they fold ,although because of stability and scale ,they really would not be able to fold in.But the look will be there ,or at least that is what i have planned.

I suppose I should draw something up ,but I have the idea locked up in the old gray matter.......somewhere LOL

Cheers

paul T

Finally, he do something,:headbang: Every day, I check this tread to see the progress.

Mon Dieu....I`m just one man :surprised:

BUT ,your should see the crap in the old hobby room.There is much going on here ,very much indeed :wink:

Paul t

Mon Dieu....I`m just one man :surprised:

BUT ,your should see the crap in the old hobby room.There is much going on here ,very much indeed :wink:

Paul t

What are you waiting to have a live web cam ?

" Paul T reality show "

What are you waiting to have a live web cam ?

" Paul T reality show "

Oh no, then i would never get things done ,like now ...me being on the computer typing this....when I could be building the GBU bomb ..:rofl:

Oh wait, I did get more done....LOOK

I cut a length of 4" body tube and epeoxied it to the side of the main tube.It`s kind of a conduit/tunnel cover.It will also give me more thickness into which to screw my rail buttons into.

Paul T

phpaeLH1XPM.jpg

phpAtww2MPM.jpg

phpLzCnRUPM.jpg

phptrQDhFPM.jpg

I made a bunch of cardstock rings in different widths.These bands will wrap around the body and give some scale effect and dimension.

I`m tacking them in place with white glue...just a few dabs (Weldbond.....great stuff for this) and then soak them in super thin CA.

Paul t

phphVWKPYPM.jpg

phpWGXD35PM.jpg

The bands are being layered one by one.

This really does go quickly, as the white glue sets very fast,then the thin CA locks it all down and turns them rock hard.

Paul T

phpTEMJl1PM.jpg

phpWZK7t7PM.jpg

The bands are all on, just need to sand them smooth with 320 grit.

This was pretty much all done in a half hour ,so the process goes pretty fast.

Well, I want to go sit down and draw up some templates for the main fins ,so until later

Take care

paul T

phpaLg04CPM.jpg

phpdELtimPM.jpg

phpmoGKHXPM.jpg

Geez Paul, and they call me a rocket building machine!

Should you not be busy building something ?

......then again ,I should be at work.....:wink:

Too nice a day ,so I might get some painting done.

Don`t forget my friend ,we have long winters here ,so not much to do ,although this build was just started last week on ANOTHER rainy weekend :facepalm:

Take care

Paul T

Should you not be busy building something ?

......then again ,I should be at work.....:wink:

Too nice a day ,so I might get some painting done.

Don`t forget my friend ,we have long winters here ,so not much to do ,although this build was just started last week on ANOTHER rainy weekend :facepalm:

Take care

Paul T

Actually, I was at work when I sent that message. LOL

What, you can't paint at work?

I wish.That`s the problem with these long winters up here, by the time spring comes along ,I have a huge backlog of painting to get done.

And then there`s the rainy weekends.

Paul T

Last Friday after work I sat outside with a beer and made the fin templates.It was a lovely day to sit outside and mess around.

I also got a bunch of painting done (rocketsc of course) :wink:

Paul t

phpH2aHOqPM.jpg

phpIlXiKTPM.jpg

Templates overlayed to show complete fin shape.

All pieces (fin and outer fin sheaths) are to be made of 1/8" Baltic Birch.

Paul T

phpmRkLbdPM.jpg

phpyb98WAPM.jpg

Test fit of main fin template.

Good.

Time to go into the workshop and cut the parts.

Paul T

phpEN12TxPM.jpg

The main fins are cut,sanded ,holes filled and then will be finish sanded with 320.

The holes you will see filled are from small finish nails use to keep all like parts together when I run them on the router table using as master template and pattern bit (straight cutter with a bearing on the top)

I used this for all the parts needed ,as it keeps every part the exact same.

Paul T

phpFG0vDTPM.jpg

phph5wcmJPM.jpg

These are the filler parts, to be sandwiched between the fin and outer fin covers.

These need no hole filling ,as they will not be seen.

Time to break out the clamps and begin the gluing process.Wood glue will be used for this of course ,as I know you expected me to use epoxy LOL

Paul t

php5JiPJyPM.jpg

phpDmir48PM.jpg

Here is one almost complete fin assembly ,just need the other cover to be glued on.

In order to keep everything in alignment, I can only glue one cover ,the fin and the filler at one shot.Then the other cover goes last.

The parts are only clamped for 15 minutes ,then the other cover is glued on,clamped then the clamps will be removed after a few minutes and the whole assembly will be pressed between wax paper and boards and 25 pound bags of lead shot placed on top.

This will keep the fin assemblys pressed while the glue cooks and help prevent warping.

Paul T

phpix69fNPM.jpg

A gaggle of fins.

I`m glad this part is over .....almost over :wink:

Paul T

phpbeySBJPM.jpg

phppc4e81PM.jpg

phpvY5GbZPM.jpg

Now they are done.

I added some buttons to the holes.

Thanks for looking !

Paul T

phpBrTt5bPM.jpg

phpLM5CwyPM.jpg

phpq29VmVPM.jpg

phpuvabYNPM.jpg

phpzQRO0fPM.jpg

No, but you definitely need more.

You`re actually right Jim !

I buy those little ones at my local dollar store.Not bad quality for the price ,I mean they really are very good quality.

Go figure ?

Paul t

Back