BLU....smarter bomb FINISHED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
I`ve never seen a BLU smart bomb built ,nor even seen one attempted ,so i thought I had better see if i could build one.

My version is a smarter bomb ,but still stupid in it`s ultimate design and end all.

On the drawing table it seemed daunting and had it`s design flaws....but you know I like a challenge,and never back down.

So here we are ,another build by your humble rocketeer and general all around tinkererer.

Let`s build :wink:

....and of course ,as per usual, I do not really have a plan ,but will figure things out as i go.

Paul t

Last edited:
this is going to be fun to watch!!

I`ve never seen a BLU smart bomb built ,nor even seen one attempted ,so i thought I had better see if i could build one.

My version is a smarter bomb ,but still stupid in it`s ultimate design and end all.

On the drawing table it seemed daunting and had it`s design flaws....but you know I like a challenge,and never back down.

So here we are ,another build by your humble rocketeer and general all around tinkererer.

Let`s build :wink:

....and of course ,as per usual, I do not really have a plan ,but will figure things out as i go.

Paul t

Not too much happening ,just plugging along with this one ,as it`s kinda complicated.

I got the transitions made ,using heavy cardstock ,doubled up and used laminating epoxy.

I`m not too smart and got lazy and forgot my transition maker program, so I just winged it.They actually worked out nicely...so I got lucky LOL

The longer tailcone is for the aft end and the short transition for the forward end.

The bomb/motor assist BLU is based on a 4" Loc BT

Paul T

phpcLPyeEAM.jpg

phpGRlDfOAM.jpg

phpkQRXpuAM.jpg

Ballons popped ,just needs some sanding.

These are already pretty strong and stiff ,but I`m going to add some re-enforcement.

Paul T

phpImFJWJAM.jpg

phpMRuMyAAM.jpg

phptxUVY6AM.jpg

I made several CRs and will epoxy them inside the trans and tailcone.

Cheers

Paul t

phpCISZEHAM.jpg

phpNhJji8AM.jpg

phpUsUOMoAM.jpg

phpXrqF2QAM.jpg

I switched to building the MMT.

I`ll be using a 38mm tube and custom made CRs from 1/4" BBirch.

The 38mm is the biggest MMT that will fit the aft tube while still being able to use TTW fins.

Paul t

php4EqX3cAM.jpg

phpducHgtAM.jpg

I was very fortunate to have found this resin (PML ?) transition in my parts box, it should work wonderfully !

Paul T

phpGtWvqjAM.jpg

phpNHrZcDAM.jpg

Working on the targeting section ,while other parts are curing.

Estes NC and BT60 tube.

CRs made in my shop.

The stepped down tube is PML 38mm phenolic MMT

This is a dry fit.

Paul t

php6Xg2t3AM.jpg

phpgSRit3AM.jpg

phpRwwh7gAM.jpg

phpVZzJLBAM.jpg

phpXbh9maAM.jpg

Spacers epoxied in place after all the parts were test fitted.

Paul T

phpJpJ8dJAM.jpg

phpkRNCM1AM.jpg

phplDixvdAM.jpg

Neat build. I am going a upscale of a smart bomb when I get home. I bough the nose cone earlier in the deployment.

Ring in place after being soaked in thin CA and sanded smooth.

Does this look familiar ?

Paul t

phpEGUBGqAM.jpg

phpoZsI4xAM.jpg

phpV3bPr5AM.jpg

Neat build. I am going a upscale of a smart bomb when I get home. I bough the nose cone earlier in the deployment.

I`ve always wanted to do something like this ,and after going through my parts box looking for the NC for the .50cal. BMG rocket ,I found some resin transitions and the lightbulb went on.

Now hurry and get home my friend !!

Paul t

Aft CR in place !

Brothers, I need to start ordering CRs ,as I spend all my time making ny own :facepalm:

Paul T

php1JgaZ5AM.jpg

phpWIqNo6AM.jpg

phpY4RsJSAM.jpg

phpzhgFSmAM.jpg

Work has begun on the main bomb portion.

Loc 4" BT

TTW fin construction

Paul T

phpcFjT4fAM.jpg

phpLyqMqRAM.jpg

phpsjcCZXAM.jpg

The transition and tailcone are cured,sanded and ready to be glued on.

I did a test fit and they worked out nicely.

YUP....I got lucky again LOL

I hope my luck holds out for the fins ,as these will be somewhat complicated to say the least.

Paul T

Paul T

phpqNqIbbAM.jpg

phpWucTj2AM.jpg

are you making this thing ?

View attachment 131641

Very similar mon chum !

The one I`m doing is actually a dedicated smart bomb, as opposed to a Mk82 or whatever with a strap on navigation and radar rider.

I got the idea from pictures on the internet while searching around.

That is a very nice picture you posted ,I was thinking of doing a color scheme similar to that.

Salut !

Paul t

This missile is so big, ugly and mean looking it's cool! Good build choice.

Here's a couple of pics of my design. Actual video lens on a "C" mount for nose weight.

C2.JPGC4.JPGC8.JPG

Below is what I saw most every day on the way to lunch. The nose is pointed in the direction of the Paveway assembly "shop". I worked at TI in Sherman, TX for several years. They made the Paveway guidance section (everything but the "bomb" part) and the HARM missile seekers and steering assemblies there. There were some *fascinating* things that went through company surplus at times. At one time a bunch of defective HARM nosecones were sold there. Most ended up as hanging planters at the TEXINS resort area at Lake Texomah.

paveway.jpg

This missile is so big, ugly and mean looking it's cool! Good build choice.

Well you know Todd ,sometimes ugly and different is a good thing !

I`m working on the fins (making drawings and templates on matte board so i get them the way I want) going to be a little slow going ,as they will be made in 6 pieces per fin.

But that needs to wait,as it`s the anual "cleaning of the Koi pond" so the day is shot.

Take care !

PAul T

Here's a couple of pics of my design. Actual video lens on a "C" mount for nose weight.

View attachment 131839View attachment 131840View attachment 131841

Below is what I saw most every day on the way to lunch. The nose is pointed in the direction of the Paveway assembly "shop". I worked at TI in Sherman, TX for several years. They made the Paveway guidance section (everything but the "bomb" part) and the HARM missile seekers and steering assemblies there. There were some *fascinating* things that went through company surplus at times. At one time a bunch of defective HARM nosecones were sold there. Most ended up as hanging planters at the TEXINS resort area at Lake Texomah.

View attachment 131842

That is so very cool ,that would look pretty nice on my version......

....and even cooler on my AGM-114 Hellfire project, although I suspect it would not last long after hitting the ground !

NOW...about those HARM nosecones :drool:.....what a great place to plant my Petunias LOL

Cheers

Paul T

That is so very cool ,that would look pretty nice on my version......

....and even cooler on my AGM-114 Hellfire project, although I suspect it would not last long after hitting the ground !

The clear dome is made from a plastic ball (comes as two halves) I got at Walmart. I seem to remember that it was supposed to be for making Christmas tree balls. I think you can find them at Hobby Lobby too. You're right, it is fragile. This one is "crazed" at the tip. The HARM noses were neat, but I wish I had gotten a real Paveway optical window (nosecone).

On the real Paveway, the seeker head (the first part you built on your rocket) is on a pivot so it will point into the wind. That's the reason it has fins on it. I don't think that would be safe (or necessary) for your rocket. Makes yours look mighty fine though...

Last edited:
The clear dome is made from a plastic ball (comes as two halves) I got at Walmart. I seem to remember that it was supposed to be for making Christmas tree balls. I think you can find them at Hobby Lobby too. You're right, it is fragile. This one is "crazed" at the tip. The HARM noses were neat, but I wish I had gotten a real Paveway optical window (nosecone).

On the real Paveway, the seeker head (the first part you built on your rocket) is on a pivot so it will point into the wind. That's the reason it has fins on it. I don't think that would be safe (or necessary) for your rocket. Makes yours look mighty fine though...

I almost did not put the ring/fins on mine for that reason, but hey ,it looks cool !

I was going to machine a optical window, but thought it too much trouble ,and i got lazy.

Cheers

Paul T

Jeff and big Daddy ,I got a little more done today ,so more pictures a commin` :wink:

I was buzzing around the web one day looking for pictures for a new project ,and BLUs came up......and things went from there.

I have not seen too many or any build around ,so I thought....might as well.

Take care guys

Paul T

Transitions are in place and filled.

To my great surprise ,they fit nicely.

Told you I get lucky once in awhile LOL

Also cut some fin slots.

The several coats of finishing epoxy, the double wall heavy cardstock and internal centering rings really made the transitions quite strong.

Paul T

phphLqH3uPM.jpg

phpnaMkJdPM.jpg

phpS9UJfBPM.jpg

phpZ38MK8PM.jpg

Back