BOOM....50 cal. BMG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, you should definitely be in the Rocketry Hall Of Fame!

Paul, you should definitely be in the Rocketry Hall Of Fame!

How much does that pay ? :rofl:

I just can`t sit idle, I have to keep busy ,so this is what I do when I`m not building plastic models ,birdwatching ,fishing ,gardening ,target shooting ,canoeing ,hunting and tinkering......

OH YAH......full time job LOL

I can hardly wait to retire

Cheers

Paul T

How much does that pay ? :rofl:

I just can`t sit idle, I have to keep busy ,so this is what I do when I`m not building plastic models ,birdwatching ,fishing ,gardening ,target shooting ,canoeing ,hunting and tinkering......

OH YAH......full time job LOL

I can hardly wait to retire

Cheers

Paul T

What, do you have 28 hour days up there in Canada?

Then why are you sitting at your computer typing? Lazy.

I was actually getting the Hellfire painted and typing between coats.....really !

I had to get a stupid little fluffy see pod thing out of the nosecone paint ,and that got me very angry (at least it wasn`t a spider or aphid or bird this time LOL)but I cooled down and lightly scraped it off and shot a few mist coats (semi-gloss black) looks good.

If it`s not rain ,it`s wind and all that gets blown around this time of year.it should be mosquito season soon ,looking forward to that too LOL

Next I need to prime the old Mercury Redstone, tomorrow I hope ,going to use Painters Touch 2x white primer.I love that stuff !

Cheers

Paul T

Oh, that build hits the the mark...

You should kit it... I took one look at it, and I went ballistic! I'd love to try a shot at it!

(sorry, my puns are so bad (so bad in fact, I got fired), but your work is of the Highest caliber!)

Awesome Job!
Jim

Oh, that build hits the the mark...

You should kit it... I took one look at it, and I went ballistic! I'd love to try a shot at it!

(sorry, my puns are so bad (so bad in fact, I got fired), but your work is of the Highest caliber!)

Awesome Job!
Jim

Puns what puns ??

I know,you got a million of `em LOL

Thanks for the good words Jim !

I`d like to make a bigger version using an LOC 3-4" transition ,next time.

Cheers

Paul T

Awesome rocket Paul!
Somebody should kit that thing :w:
JP
Just a fun build of a fun caliber round.

.50 caliber BMG bullet

2" custom resin, foam filled nosecone

2" -3" Loc trans.

3" Blue Tube Bodt tube

Baltic Birch shaped aft end
1/8" lexan fins

Used Krylon Brass and Copper and Duplicolor Gun Metal for the tip.

Clear cotaed with Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss

Just a fun build,of my favorite round.

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Paul T

Pretty cool, got any construction pictures I would like to see how you mounted the fins.

TA

Now yer talkin'! I've got one brewing in OR based on a 4" nosecone that I have. Fins to be shaped like open ammo cans.

Terry ,4" would be wicked cool for sure !

I`d like to see that !

Take care

Paul T

Pretty cool, got any construction pictures I would like to see how you mounted the fins.

TA

Thanks Todd.

Sorry no ,I just sat down one day ,gathered the parts and built it ,took about 3 days off and on.Not doing a build thread or taking a bunch of pics is probably the reason it got built so fast LOL

The BT is 3" PML Quantum tube (I love that stuff) although I don`t often use it ,and I have plenty on hand. :confused2:

I cut the 1/8" slots for the fins on my router table using a carbide spiral bit (down cut) and one of my various bodytube sleds/fixtures.

I just used the old TTW construction for the fins,nothing special.I did however make sure the fin tabs were well scored (60 grit and then an Exacto blade to make deep cross hatches) and clean with alcohol.The same was done on the interior of the Quantum tube for the internal fillets.

I use PML 29mm phenolic for the MMT

5 min.epoxy was used to set the fin tab edges to the MMT ,and one cooked off ,15 min,epoxy was used for all the internal fillets,

I did NOT however place any external fillets on the outside of the body tube to the fin ,that would have ruined the look.

The fins are very solid ,so if anything ,the fins will snap off before the fillets let go.

Hope that kind of helps you out.

Take care

Paul T

I think the 1/8" lexan will be fine for this weight I just flew my 20# titan II with makrolon(lexan like) fins that are 3/16" and they held up fine. I did make them removable but so far so good on three flights.

Frank

Dang it guys you got me all excited that sod was back posting again!

TA

Dang it guys you got me all excited that sod was back posting again!

TA

Haahahha.....guess who dropped in for a second ,and found this old thread LOL

I`ll be back some time when I get back to building some stuff ,but for now ,I`ll just stop in once in awhile.

Cheerio my friend !!

Paul T

That is the most amazing piece of effective thread necromancy ever...you brought Paul back from the dead!

Paul, Glad you're still roaming around. I look forward to your triumphant return with anticipation.

Back