BOOM....50 cal. BMG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Just a fun build of a fun caliber round.

.50 caliber BMG bullet

2" custom resin, foam filled nosecone

2" -3" Loc trans.

3" Blue Tube Bodt tube

Baltic Birch shaped aft end
1/8" lexan fins

Used Krylon Brass and Copper and Duplicolor Gun Metal for the tip.

Clear cotaed with Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss

Just a fun build,of my favorite round.

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Paul T

php1JMu1vPM.jpg

phpB7wABWPM.jpg

phpFl3a8PPM.jpg

phpgoMLFLPM.jpg

phpjQmEdEPM.jpg

Wow!

That build hit the bullseye, Paul!

Greg

PS: Can you launch it with a Ma Deuce?

Wow!

That build hit the bullseye, Paul!

Greg

PS: Can you launch it with a Ma Deuce?

Thanks Greg !

Ma Deuce.....have not heard that since my uncle was in WWII.

I hope it flies !

We shall see.

Cheers

Paul t

Very Nice, Paul!! The paints are spot on!

I appreciate that Terry !

It looked a lot better before the clear coat ,but of course ,it`s a catch 22 with these metalics.No clear coat....shiny and fragile or dull and bullet proof.

Ahhhh...I`m happy with it.

All the best;

paul T

Looks really cool! Hopefully the fins will be OK on landing. That has been been my big concern on my build with lexan fins.

Very nice build. I am impressed. How did you make a foam resin nose cone?

Very nice Paul! I'm just surprised you didn't make it a tracer. What size "primer" you gonna use?

Very nice build. I am impressed. How did you make a foam resin nose cone?

Thankyou Chuck !

I was planning this for some time ,and finally went through the old spares box and found the parts I could use ,so this also dictated the size and scale (although it`s not really a scaled 50 cal round ,but looks the part )

The nosecone was purchased some 13 years ago when I got back into rocketry and wanted to try some scratch building.I bought it at a shop in Toronto Canada and a bunch of other stuff (I think I spent about $1000.00 that day......IT WAS GREAT !! LOL)

I really do not know who was the maker of the nosecone ,PML ???? I have another in 3" diam.

I must say though ,it does have the propper shape (ogive) so I got lucky...as I sometimes do.

While digging around in my parts boxes ,I found quite a treasure trove of goodies ,so there will be many more scratch builds comming in the future :wink:

Have a great day !

Paul T

Very nice Paul! I'm just surprised you didn't make it a tracer. What size "primer" you gonna use?

Thankyou sir !

Probably several CCI No.35 arsenal primers and a few pounds of Hodgdon H50BMG smokeless LOL

I know ,I was looking at some rounds and found some spotter/tracer rounds with red & yellow and blue tipped incindiary as well as the red/silver armour piercing/incindiary !

Oh well, looks like I should build a few more !

I think I might add a red tip to the silver and make it armour/incindiary.......THANKS for the idea :handshake:

Paul T

Looks really cool! Hopefully the fins will be OK on landing. That has been been my big concern on my build with lexan fins.

Thanks chum !

Yah, this was the first time I ever used 1/8" Lexan ,so I guess i`ll find out soon enough.

But looking at the finished rocket ,it really does need the clear fins, you can`t really see them.

Cheers

Paul T

I guess I should have said what motor you gonna use? :eyeroll:

I guess I should have said what motor you gonna use? :eyeroll:

OH....LOL

Well I need to do a Rocksim first ,but since the MMT is 29mm something in a G to start (maybe 93G80 Skid to start then a 138G106 Skid....I have plenty of those on hand)

But the primers and gunpowder would be cool too.....:wink:

Paul t

Very nice, you are right, fins are almost invisible. So if it is next to a .50 caliber bullet, what would the equivalent caliber of the rocket be?

Very nice, you are right, fins are almost invisible. So if it is next to a .50 caliber bullet, what would the equivalent caliber of the rocket be?

Thanks !

I guess it would be 2.0 caliber or 51mm.

Either way ,a good muzzle break and recoil pad would be a must LOL

And to think they used to have shoulder mounted anti-tank guns/rifles that were larger than .50 cal./12.7mm :y:

There were several 13.9mm/.55 cal. (the Boys anti-tank rifle for one) I think two that were 14.4mm/.57 cal. and a huge Japanese 20mm/.787 cal.rifle !!

I`m thinking some serious "flinching" was the order of the day LOL

Take care

Paul t

Seriously cool. I have to agree, the metal hues are perfect.

Thanks Steve !

I looked like polished brass and copper before I clear coated it ,really nice nad shiny.But those paints are so fragile, I had to clear it....oh well.

Take care

Paul T

Sweet looking rocket. I find it interesting the JMB actually "upscaled" the .30-06 to make the .50 BMG - same exact ratio of dimensions.

I've been looking for some .50 cal. bullets. I want to solder/braze on some tiny little copper sheet fins to make a retro-design like the forum logo (but not for flight - just a pretty doo-dad).

Sweet looking rocket. I find it interesting the JMB actually "upscaled" the .30-06 to make the .50 BMG - same exact ratio of dimensions.

I've been looking for some .50 cal. bullets. I want to solder/braze on some tiny little copper sheet fins to make a retro-design like the forum logo (but not for flight - just a pretty doo-dad).

It`s too bad I don`t live closer to you or in the US ,I would mail you a few dummy rounds ,but US State department and USBP would freak out !

Go to Brownells or Midway USA ,you can buy cases and bullets for reloading or try reloading forums ,guys would sell you a few empty rounds.

Cheers

Paul T

This is pure insanity, but in a really cool way.:wink:

Inert/Dummy/Training rounds are pretty easy to find in the states. Most mil surplus stores have a small selection on hand and some even carry some of the larger calibers such as 20mm, 40mm and even larger than that. When the gun show comes to town you can usually find a few booths that sell inert rounds. I was at a flea market once where there was a fella selling water bongs made from 20 and 40mm shells with a 50 cal shell brazed in as the bowl.:y:

This is pure insanity, but in a really cool way.:wink:

Inert/Dummy/Training rounds are pretty easy to find in the states. Most mil surplus stores have a small selection on hand and some even carry some of the larger calibers such as 20mm, 40mm and even larger than that. When the gun show comes to town you can usually find a few booths that sell inert rounds. I was at a flea market once where there was a fella selling water bongs made from 20 and 40mm shells with a 50 cal shell brazed in as the bowl.:y:

Thanks Jeff.....I think ?? LOL

I would like to get some dummy rounds for my collection, as I have a large collection of bullet rounds from .17 cal up to a 20mm cannon rnd. but would like to get a few bigger.

I had a dealer in the USA from whom I bought various ammunition rounds (he would pull the bullet ,remove the powder and pour oil into the case to kill the primer ,then send me the case and bullet ,usually two of each) but the US State Department and Homeland Security pretty much put an end to that :(

Hmmmmm......BONGS...NOT WAR....darn hippies :headbang:

Take care !

Paul t

It`s too bad I don`t live closer to you or in the US ,I would mail you a few dummy rounds ,but US State department and USBP would freak out !

Go to Brownells or Midway USA ,you can buy cases and bullets for reloading or try reloading forums ,guys would sell you a few empty rounds.

Cheers

Paul T

Well, thanks for the thoughts anyway, friend. This is a back-burner project, not worth the cost/effort to track down stuff at a gun show. The price of ammo, even dummy/display shells is insane.

Paul,
this build is just fantastic....man!! when you go into winter build mode you really go all out! All of your build threads have been just superb..your Mercury Redstone, Hellfire, your mid power Saturn V variant is just outstanding and now your .50 cal....BEAUTIFUL work!!!

Thankyou fellas ,you are very kind !

Indeed, I have been a busy bee over the winter ,and we had a Looooooog winter.

But now it`s time to catch up on painting ,lots of painting.

You all take care and thankyou for looking at my little bullet build !

Sincerely yours

Paul t

Back