Heathkit survey

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the questions on the survey asked, "If you had $1000 to spend on electronics kits, would you want one $1000 kit or ten $100 kits?"

I'm trying to imagine what a $1000 Heathkit would be.

A laser cutter? A CNC machine...

First thing I want back is my old alarm clock! Best clock I've ever had; when it died after 20+ years, I ended up tossing it.

Of course, years later I learned that the problem was likely just a bad display, which could have been replaced. :(

Thanks for posting this -- I just finished the survey, and will be sending it on to some friends.

-Kevin

Last edited:
First thing I want back is my old alarm clock! Best clock I've ever had; when it died after 20+ years, I ended up tossing it.

Of course, years later I learned that the problem was likely just a bad display, which could have been replaced. :(

Thanks for posting this -- I just finished the survey, and will be sending it on to some friends.

-Kevin

I felt the same way about the Heathkit desk calculator I put together in 1972. It had full size keys and big numbers. It lasted 10 years before it died and I kept it for a while after that in case I could figure out how to fix it.

I would LOVE health kits to return. All the old radios I refurb are health kits and such, they're all nice quality and work really well.

I chose "I'd want $2000 and do both" heh

thanks for sharing that survey link. :)

Years ago, I build dozens of these kits, including a couple of color TV's. Enjoyed it immensely.

I started to fill out the survey, but as I went along, I began to realize that I think the time of the electronics kit has come and gone. Would you really want to build your cell phone from a kit? Or your iPod? Or even your garage door opener? -well maybe the garage door opener.

Electronics has come a long way since 12AT7's, 2N2222's, 1/2W carbon comp resistors, mylar caps, etc. The majority of electronics work I do now requires me to use a microscope to really see what I am doing. Can Heathkit really expect the average hobbyist to have the skills and tools to work with modern micro-electronics? And what can you really do with the older reasonably sized parts?

Sad, but I think that is the reality.

A nice wireless launch console and launch pads.

see the MAY/JUNE 2012 issue of sport rocketry for a good example of a launch controller you can build with "older reasonably sized parts". (I'll see if I can find an online version.)

Also:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?40335-Project-ALTDuino-A-homemade-altimeter
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...timeter-dual-recovery-for-less-than-20-dollar

not to mention many hobby robotics and various other electronics kits out there. I have one of these I built siting on my desk: https://learn.adafruit.com/ice-tube-clock-kit

I drooled over those catalogs, but never could afford their kits back in the day, especially wanted the shortwave radio! I had to settle for P-Box kits...

I start to fill the survey, I drop it after 6 or 8 pages, it's too much. I don,t liek the question about how much we want to pay if they release limited edition kits, they piss me off so much with those special editions kits in model railroading.

I start to fill the survey, I drop it after 6 or 8 pages, it's too much. I don,t liek the question about how much we want to pay if they release limited edition kits, they piss me off so much with those special editions kits in model railroading.

then TELL them that :tongue:

I want a Nixie clock!

I built a Nixie clock back in the late sixties. Stupidly I parted with it after a friend begged me for it. I still have a spare Nixie tube! Also built a SW receiver and a 25" Color TV (I convinced my parents to buy the kit so we could all watch TV in color!) I recall the remote control used miniature mechanical chimes! This was before IR LEDs were invented. Man do I feel old!

ZM1080-01.jpgZM1080-02.jpg

Filled out the survey a couple weeks ago, and got a followup email yesterday:

Dear Heathkit Insider,

Thank you for completing the Heathkit survey.
You now are a member of the Heathkit Insiders mailing list.

We appreciate the time you spent telling us what is important to you. We are listening. And we are reading---every single survey response is being read by at least one member of Heath Company's Board of Directors.

Many thousands of you wrote to tell us personal stories about your Heathkit experience and your hopes for us. We want you to know that we appreciate your well wishes, and we are working hard to bring this great company back.

As a Heathkit Insider, you are the first to learn today that this week we are publishing Frequently Asked Questions (and answers) on the heathkit.com website. This will answer many questions that you and other loyal Heathkit fans have been asking. You can be among the first to read it, at

https://www.heathkit.com/heathkit-faq.html

We will be working hard, and mostly quietly, for the next several months, to define new products for you. From time to time, we will send out brief updates to you.

If you are a Facebook user, a good way to stay up-to-date is to join our Facebook page and "Like" us:

https://www.facebook.com/heathcompany

Click the "Like" button on that page to receive notices whenever we publish Facebook updates. (We also will send occasional email messages, for those of you who do not use Facebook.)

We'll write again soon to tell you about our progress.
Meanwhile, we're thankful for your patience and enthusiasm.

Sincerely,

The Heathkit Management Team

I finally got a response from the Heathkit survey I sent in back in June.
It sounds promising.

Dear Heathkit Insider,
The response to our survey has been formidable. There's no question that many people – many thousands of people – want Heathkit to succeed and flourish. We thank you for your good will and interest.
We promised not to clutter your email inbox with noisy communications you don't want, and we've kept that promise. Meanwhile remember that if you are a Facebook user, a good way to stay up-to-date is to join our Facebook page and "Like" us, at
https://www.facebook.com/heathcompany

Me too. I want to buy one (or three), but timing is just not right for me right now. :-(

Back