Rube Goldberg Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for more parts to come in is painful! To kill time, I took a closer look at the payload compartment components.

rgl-const-25.jpg

rgl-const-26.jpg

rgl-const-27.jpg

The main pod cones were a tight fit in the tubes so I grabbed the first one and sanded down the shoulder.

rgl-const-28.jpg

I then stuck the cone on a painting tube and drizzled thin CA over it to harden it and begin the finishing process.

rgl-const-29.jpg

The process of sanding the shoulder and drizzling with CA was then repeated with the other Main Recovery Pod Cone.

rgl-const-30.jpg

rgl-const-31.jpg

The same sanding and CA process was then repeated with the Drogue Recovery Pod cones.

rgl-const-32.jpg

rgl-const-33.jpg

rgl-const-34.jpg

rgl-const-35.jpg

The 5 BT-50 Motor Tubes were then marked 1-5.

rgl-const-36.jpg

WUT

R

U

DOIN

?!

Rasing everyone's premiums!

Seriously, It's an idea that came to me, almost fully formed (the fins/landing gear still need work) one night in the wee hours when I was doing the overnight shift in the hospital. I was on my way back to the chaplain's office from (REALLY) the psych ward. I did some sketches on my patient rounding pad and when I got home, I could not get to sleep. I went right to my computer.

I drew some things out, contacted Gordon at Roachwerks to see if he could make what I needed; started to put together lists from Semroc, Rocketarium and Fliskits for parts (can't find them all in one place!); started saving my allowance and pulled the trigger last week.

I`m enjoying your build John ,very high cool factor !

...and LOTS of parts !!

I`m going to order a bunch of cones and transitions from SEMROC one day and build something crazzzzzzy !

Please continue !

paul t

Another box from Rocketarium.com arrived on Saturday!!!!!

rgl-const-37.jpg

The main cargo of the box were 4 BT50 ejection baffles from Rocketarium.com. I learned that Rocketarium does not include kevlar with their baffles but that was easily rectified since I have plenty.

rgl-const-38.jpg

A length of Kevlar was fed through one of the baffle plate holes, tied into place and fixed with some Titebond II.

rgl-const-39.jpg

The baffle was then assembled as per the instructions and some Titebond was smeared onto the plates.

rgl-const-41.jpg

rgl-const-40.jpg

Last edited:
The other three baffles were then assembled and all four were set aside to dry.

rgl-const-42.jpg

You're supposed to read my mind lol. I meant, a copy of the directions for this entire project. In other words...I was trying to be a smart a$$.

Sorry.

You are reading the directions for the entire project right now. This is all that exists outside of the hallucinations.

The Drogue Recovery Pod base tubes were a bit tight on the shoulders so I sanded them down a bit.

rgl-const-43.jpg

The drogue tube was pretty tight also so that shoulder got sanded down as well.

rgl-const-44.jpg

The tubes for the other drogue pod had the same issues so received the same treatment.

rgl-const-45.jpg

The process was then repeated with the tubes for the Main Recovery Pods.

rgl-const-46.jpg

I was now ready with the parts for 2 Drogue Recovery Pods and 2 Main Recovery Pods. This takes care of phases 1 and two of the recovery process.

rgl-const-47.jpg

The parts for the Drogue Recovery Pods were marked with the numerals 1 and 3; those of the Main Recovery Pods were marked with 2 and 4

rgl-const-48.jpg

Back