Rube Goldberg Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you're a couple of candles short of a menorah. I've got a pretty good idea (at least in *my* mind) of what it will look like. My one question for John is on recovery, "with all those fiddly bits sticking out, how many sections do you intend it to come down in?". I see at least two. I hope it's going to (launch and recover) be only two. I've had "fantasy" designs that start to shed parts just after clearing the rod, and left a trail when they hit the ground and were drug along by the parachute. Hope you get back to the build soon (means your life is back to more normal...).

It should come down in one section.

It is "triple deploy".

1. after apogee, deploy drogues.
2. at an opportune time between apogee and ground impact, deploy mains
3. after deploying mains but before ground impact, deploy landing gear.

We're all enjoying it, John. (Albeit from the comfort of our air-conditioned homes.) Keep up the good work.

In the last few days, with the activity on this thread, I have actually thought about going out and doing some work on it. The heat has not been too bad and I have the desire to get something done. The problem lately is that every opportunity has been interrupted by a hospital pager or an issue at one of my churches.

Check with Troy over at https://defyg.com/store.html. The text was my idea but I gave him the rights when he added the graphics. I don't think he'd mind for a one-of copy. As always, support our vendors.

I agree,supporting vendors is a good thing. I'll check out Troy's store. Thanks for the point in the right direction. :)

In the last few days, with the activity on this thread, I have actually thought about going out and doing some work on it. The heat has not been too bad and I have the desire to get something done. The problem lately is that every opportunity has been interrupted by a hospital pager or an issue at one of my churches.

John, don't worry about us. As you can see, we are perfectly capable of amusing ourselves while you take care of things what need taking care of, and obeying those who must be obeyed. :)

We'll be here when you get back to building and posting.

OK, John. Enough goofing off. Back to work on this. You have to have priorities (and you can't leave us hanging like this...).

OK, John. Enough goofing off. Back to work on this. You have to have priorities (and you can't leave us hanging like this...).

Strangely enough, I replied just a few hours ago to a PM with the following:

Things are going well. Just BUSY!

A few hours ago, I finished the anual charge conference for one of my churches. Its a big deal in the Methodist church and I have spent every waking hour for over a month trying to recreate the church records that disappeared with the transfer of the previous pastor. That is done now. I have one more conference coming up for my other church but the other pastor is going to handle most of that.

Knowing this, I have ordered some parts, got some paint am going to get some sleep and then probably get started on Tuesday.

JAL

...I have ordered some parts, got some paint am going to get some sleep and then probably get started on Tuesday.

JAL

I'm back in the saddle again
In a build thread that may never end
Where the strange-shaped rocket flies
Through the bright blue Texas skies
Back in the saddle again....

It is "triple deploy".

I'm sorry, what now?

Allright, quick update.

I got a little, not a lot, done today as promised. I've had issues with a virus and the tech guys reloaded the OS this afternoon. I am getting the data restored.

I have now been without sleep for 44 hours and am going to call it a night. I have to be up at 7.

Good to see you back

It is vain for you to rise up early, To retire late, To eat the bread of painful labors; For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep.
Psalms 127:2

Much easier said than done!

Just don't pull a Eutychus (but would be a good rocket name!)

It is "triple deploy".

I *think* I can see how to do (most of) this. One problem to work out is how to control the speed of "deployments". If you're going to use springs, you have to control how fast the "arms" pivot so that they don't shake the rocket apart (paying attention to stops as well).

I *think* I can see how to do (most of) this. One problem to work out is how to control the speed of "deployments". If you're going to use springs, you have to control how fast the "arms" pivot so that they don't shake the rocket apart (paying attention to stops as well).

There were two approaches to this.

The first was all that stuff I learned in engineering school about spring coefficients, friction, rotational moments of inertia, etc.

The second was to go out and see what kind of springs I could actually find that would fit, try things out and cross my fingers.

I am at the point in life were the first seemed like work and the second seemed like fun.

There were two approaches to this.

The first was all that stuff I learned in engineering school about spring coefficients, friction, rotational moments of inertia, etc.

The second was to go out and see what kind of springs I could actually find that would fit, try things out and cross my fingers.

I am at the point in life were the first seemed like work and the second seemed like fun.

That's the best kind of engineering. I think you learn more that way (plus you learn what doesn't work).

That's the best kind of engineering. I think you learn more that way (plus you learn what doesn't work).

The whole point is to make sure that I don't work. Playing with rockets is fine but working is verbotten!

It seems that right now, the hospital system is determined to make sure I neither work nor play with rockets.

John, any chance we'll see more of this soon? I hope this isn't going into the hiatus that your aeroshell project did

John, any chance we'll see more of this soon? I hope this isn't going into the hiatus that your aeroshell project did

I would be very dissapointed if that were to happen. I want to finish this and fly it.

The issue has been a combination of my schedule, tiredness and lack of motivation. There was a month and a half when I didn't even log in to TRF! Things are a little better now but the hours are still deadly and when I actually have the opportunity to work on it, I just don't feel like doing anything except making sure the LazyBoy still works..

2 Churches, 6 hospitals and CPE: its not for wimps!

John- you 've already taken the gold medals for:
A) Longest build thread
B) Most obscure design
C) Most entertaining photos
D) Best Imagination
E) Dedication, Perseverence and commitment.
F) Your unswerving service to your fellow Human Beings
Please know you have our respect, undying appreciation for what you do and a huge score of readers loyally dedicated to helping you thru this project to the end-when ever that may be. It's not the destination, but the journey. Most like our own humble lives. Find peace, be rested and carry on the good work in all aspects. Sincerely observed and offered.

Please know you have our respect, undying appreciation for what you do and a huge score of readers loyally dedicated to helping you thru this project to the end-when ever that may be. It's not the destination, but the journey. Most like our own humble lives. Find peace, be rested and carry on the good work in all aspects. Sincerely observed and offered.

fywrxz said pretty much what I was going to say. Hang in there, my friend.

John- you 've already taken the gold medals for:
A) Longest build thread
B) Most obscure design
C) Most entertaining photos
D) Best Imagination
E) Dedication, Perseverence and commitment.
F) Your unswerving service to your fellow Human Beings

+1 ('cept for A, at least time wise might have some competition from Hornet Driver or Bradycros :wink:)

Put me down as encouraging you to continue. Hopefully the interest from the fans of this build will motivate you. We ALL want to see what this will look like!

Bump

John, are you ever getting back to this? It was looking great, had me hooked on watching the build with anticipation of what would go on next. Would like to see it completed (and really like to see it fly!)

Bump

John, are you ever getting back to this? It was looking great, had me hooked on watching the build with anticipation of what would go on next. Would like to see it completed (and really like to see it fly!)

Same here !.... Ah hell, it take me a year and a half to finish my stuff anyway--who am I to speak??

I do plan an want to finish it!

From December to well into Feb I was so snowed under with work that every spare hour was valued for the opportunity it gave me to do a visual exam of my eyelids.

It has calmed down some since then but not all that much.

My priorities of late have run towards learning the Adobe CS5.5 applications. I have finally upgraded some stuff that dated back to 2002! I have to migrate the galleries and TRI to the new format. It is in progress. Then I can start combing through the galleries again and then, when I find my parts for the lander, get back to work on that too!

This must be one of those Old Testament builds. Years of labor and sacrifice, then the big storm comes, lots of fire and brimstone, pillars of salt, raining frogs, haircuts and sling shots. In the end there is a successful flight and recovery. There was always a lesson to be learned by all the carnage, but I never seemed to get it. But now I feel confident the Rocket Powered Preacher can show his wayward internet followers the way. Casa Grande is in sight!:)

This must be one of those Old Testament builds. Years of labor and sacrifice, then the big storm comes, lots of fire and brimstone, pillars of salt, raining frogs, haircuts and sling shots. In the end there is a successful flight and recovery. There was always a lesson to be learned by all the carnage, but I never seemed to get it. But now I feel confident the Rocket Powered Preacher can show his wayward internet followers the way. Casa Grande is in sight!:)

For the record, this one has not even come close to "longest" for me. I'm not sure whether that would be my PEPP Aeroshell or my Estes Cosmos Mariner. Both spanned TRF 1 to TRF 2 by a good margin.

Both involved years of work and sacrifice. Both had lots of fire (not always in a good way especially for the CM!) The Cosmos Mariner did slingshot the motor mount back to the launch pad after a mostly horizontal flight/crash after an especially vigorous ejection charge on a D12. "Successful" is not in the CM vocabulary. The PEPP was marginally successful and will get a retry. The carnage for both was minimal and I expect to fully recover some day.

The big house in sight at the moment is Methodist Metropolitan hospital. I am writing this from the ER nurses station. I was here earlier today then left to do a wedding rehearsal. I had just gotten home and undressed when the pager went off and they wanted me in the ER to sign a consent. I'm killing time now waiting for my briefing. Then its back to bed.

No Rube Goldberg tonight!

PS There is another possible contender for "longest". That would be a Centuri Bandito that was started around 1977. If I ever find it (doubtful) I want to finish it. Otherwise I'll get around to cloning it and calling it a day.

Both involved years of work and sacrifice. Both had lots of fire (not always in a good way especially for the CM!) The Cosmos Mariner did slingshot the motor mount back to the launch pad after a mostly horizontal flight/crash after an especially vigorous ejection charge on a D12. "Successful" is not in the CM vocabulary. The PEPP was marginally successful and will get a retry. The carnage for both was minimal and I expect to fully recover some day.

Is it wrong I find that story hilarious?

-Dave

Marty Robbins gave me my first teddy bear....

I was in Nashville this past week on business, and also took in the Saturday night show at the Grand Ole Opry. I met a friend of mine who lives in nearby Franklin for lunch, and he mentioned that the only time he ever went to the Opry was as a kid when Marty Robbins gave him a ticket--his best friend's mother was Marty's secretary.

Which means I know two people who knew Marty Robbins.

Back