Competition streamer material, is this what I want?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I make mine out of the cheap space blankets you can get at Walmart or Target for a buck or two. I cut a rectangle the size of my streamer (2x20, 3x30 or 4x40) and then fanfold it according to the instructions given in one of the Apogee how-to videos. I then use a red Sharpie Magnum to color one side red and attach a shroud line to it. It is light (about 50 mils), holds a crease well and unfurls well. If you are having trouble getting the full length into the body tube, you can make it a bit shorter (like 3x20 or 4x30). As long as it comes out of the body tube easily. I have used tracing paper, but the mylar space blanket is cheaper and seems to work better. Plus, it isn't susceptible to humidity damage like the tracing paper streamers were.

Yeah, that 7# stuff should work well. The space blanket stuff is good too as is mylar wrapping paper.

Well, as I've mentioned before, our club's regionals feature some of the top NAR competitors (Chad Ring, Chan Stevens, Patrick Peterson, Jim Stum and several others on an occasional basis) and I'v done pretty well against them with the space blanket streamers. I've also found the real trick is to build the model a bit bigger (the main BT is 18mm diameter even on models flown with 13mm motors - for them, I use a reducer to a 13mm motor tube that's about 1-1/2" long with the fins attached to that). The 18mm BT gives me more room for a bigger streamer. I build out of cardstock so it is a bit lighter than regular body tubes, and I use a simple piston for launch. Then I depend on getting some thermal activity - doesn't matter how high your model gets to under boost if it goes up in a thermal after deployment, and that is more a matter of getting enough laundry out to catch the thermal.

I've always had the tracing paper tear when used for competition rockets. It is the lightest easily creased material out there, though, so if you can get it to work, more power to you.

I use Fibafilm, which is similar to the old Micafilm of legend.

I've always had the tracing paper tear when used for competition rockets. It is the lightest easily creased material out there, though, so if you can get it to work, more power to you.

Thanks! I ordered some so let me test it out. Do you just use cellophane tape to attach the shroud line or some other type of adhesive tape?

I use Fibafilm, which is similar to the old Micafilm of legend.

Thanks for the tip! You bake in the folds, right?

Thanks! I ordered some so let me test it out. Do you just use cellophane tape to attach the shroud line or some other type of adhesive tape?

Thanks for the tip! You bake in the folds, right?

Fibafilm/Micafilm is indeed covering material. You do not need to bake in the folds, however. A good crease with the back of a butter knife or your finger nail should do the trick. I placed 4th in two flights (third one DQ'ed spectacularly, see video below) in C Streamer Multi-Round at NARAM last year with 6"x80" Fibafilm streamers with a 1/2" alternating fold.

You do need to bake the folds for regular mylar.

As for the tracing paper, I've seen guys use mylar tape to reinforce the first 6-8" or so. You may want to try that if you have trouble.

As for attachment, I use mylar tape. Haven't found anything stickier or stronger.

[YOUTUBE]elWAVPCK8fA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
If you are going to use paper streamers, be sure to protect them from the elements when not in use. They will suck moisture out of the air like a sponge - you'll be lucky to get two flights out of one one a really humid day, and forget about it in a light rain. When I was trying the tracing paper streamers (oh, and I found the roll at Blick's), I kept them in zipper storage bags with a fresh silica gel drying pack in there to keep them dry. Also, they are not as visible as Mylar streamers (no shiny), so be sure to color one side with a marker - black is good for most sky conditions, red is good under certain conditions and makes it easier to spot on the ground. I use Sharpie Magnums (also found at Blick's) to color all my streamers, both paper and Mylar.

Using the method in the Apogee video link I posted above works on pretty much every Mylar or film based plastic material - I've tried Space Blanket material (the best, IMHO), Mylar birthday banners (too thick and heavy) and the Mylar competion streamer material from Apogee (nice, but heavier than space blanket and a lot more expensive). I tried baking once, but it was more trouble than it was worth, didn't work as well as the thumb/forefinger method and tended to "warp" or partially melt the Mylar.

I'm out here in SoCal where we almost have no humidity so I don't have to worry about that.

I don't have a source for thin mylar tape. Does anyone? (Or do you all have your own secret stash of vintage CMR material?)

https://www.asp-rocketry.com/store//moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=978&Category=250
Get a few rolls. Make sure you put your name on them.

Tracing paper streamers are a classic material for the typical low power NAR contest events. It's light, can be reinforced, readily takes a crease, and works pretty darn well. I've started to use 1 mil Mylar (in the form of 5" wide party streamers) and have had pretty good results.

It usually comes down to what you can get locally or ordering in without busting your budget.

As to why you just don't have a nylon streamer made, that would be heavy, and not normally crease able to get the required flapping action to get longer durations.

kj

Last edited:
Thanks for the lead! I couldn't find anything thinner than 2 mil. I'll not only put my name on them but register them with Lojack. This stuff (to me at least) is hard to find!

The FAI guys are using 1/2 mil mylar: The trick is to fold it, clamp it and bake in the oven (low temp) see: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...pc3BhY2Vtb2RlbGluZ3xneDo2MTdjYTAxNDcxNGY4ZjFk I used the to good effect at the first Capitol Cup FAI comp (sliver medal) beating the US team members.

Back