Phoenix/NCR BH-2000 (a.k.a Bright Hawk)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Originally this was an old North Coast Rocketry (NCR) Bright Hawk... then NCR became Phoenix Rocketry, and the Bright Hawk was rebranded the BH-2000. Essentially the Bright Hawk kit was updated to year 2000 build standards.

So how old is the kit I have... let's just say that it is about time I got started finishing this bird... here is the original build thread (if you can stomach my thread skillz):

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=15479

As of just 20-minutes ago, this rocket saw its first coat of KILZ primer...

At least now I have a better camera...

I have the original NCR (built and a liittle worse for wear) from around the late 80's. Came in a huge (to me) box back then. It had to be after the Challenger went down as I couldn't get any time off to fly HPR for almost two years. I'd say between 86/early 87 and 92. Mine has the foam booster cones and I still have the bag of screws I never installed as I hated the wieght penalty. Yours looks like an updated version, so I would say around 93-96? Not a historian. You have a great looking bird there and it's a lot more sexy than the original.

I have the original NCR (built and a liittle worse for wear) from around the late 80's. Came in a huge (to me) box back then. It had to be after the Challenger went down as I couldn't get any time off to fly HPR for almost two years. I'd say between 86/early 87 and 92. Mine has the foam booster cones and I still have the bag of screws I never installed as I hated the wieght penalty. Yours looks like an updated version, so I would say around 93-96? Not a historian. You have a great looking bird there and it's a lot more sexy than the original.

Thanks... it is a round Y2K release, I bought it in 2005 - 2006 I believe. After spraying the first coat of primer, I can see where my building skills back then really stunk! I decided not to stretch the rocket, and I am leaving the outboards open in case I decide to populate them with 29mm support roles... heh heh I got to see an original fly back in 1998. It had a central 29mkm and 24mm on the outboards for black powder motors... flew great! Any idea what color these rockets were modeled in by NCR way back when? I'm undecided on what color to do for mine.

Ha! You're asking this from a guy whose first action after ripping open the package is to throw the instructions away! I have no clue what 'they' thought it should be. I just went with Testor's Racing Orange on the fins and Gloss White for the rest. I know-boring! I really need to build one like this-MUCH better looking IMO. Good flights, buddy!

Ha! You're asking this from a guy whose first action after ripping open the package is to throw the instructions away! I have no clue what 'they' thought it should be. I just went with Testor's Racing Orange on the fins and Gloss White for the rest. I know-boring! I really need to build one like this-MUCH better looking IMO. Good flights, buddy!

I was looking at the sticker sheet included with the kit, and I gotta say, this vehicle screams for some kind of gernment paint scheme...

BH-200 decal sheet.jpg

Last edited:
With Southern Thunder out of the way, which means my daughter's scratch build is done, I can finally get back to finishing a couple projects... like my Bright Hawk 2000. Today I sanded the coat of primer I applied a month ago... only to find out I needed one more coat of KILZ. This rocket is detal finicky. Sanded and primed again, I hope to do yet another final sand tomorrow, so I can start painting!

Sanding1.jpg

Back