Open rocket help?! Error

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soxfan121

Reaction score
In open rocket I designed a 3 stage rocket (should be starting the build tomorrow if i can fix this error...) and whenever I run a simulation it gives me this error: "An error occurred during the simulation: Simulation values exceed limits. Try selecting a shorter time step."
I'm unsure of what this means so can someone help me out? I'll attach the ork file so you can see for yourself (unless it only happens for me).
View attachment 3 stage Thunder.ork
~Ed

Last edited:
I've been playing with Open Rocket today but 3 stagers are beyond my experience.
Is there an Open Rocket forum somewhere maybe?
Edit -->
Hey, didn't know there is a new version available, hey thanks, your having problems helped me out :grin:

Last edited:
I've been playing with Open Rocket today but 3 stagers are beyond my experience.
Is there an Open Rocket forum somewhere maybe?

from the website: "The official support forum for OpenRocket is the Rocketry Electronics and Software forum at The Rocketry Forum." haha I posted it in the watering hole because it gets a lot more traffic and I need help ASAP.

What version of OR are you running? I just ran it in version 12.09.01 and it worked fine.....
Interestingly, when I try in version 13.5, I got the same error you did until I changes the time step from 0.05 to 0.005 sec

Last edited:
from the website: "The official support forum for OpenRocket is the Rocketry Electronics and Software forum at The Rocketry Forum." haha I posted it in the watering hole because it gets a lot more traffic and I need help ASAP.

The Electronics and Software forum has less traffic, but people on the OpenRocket dev team do check it pretty frequently. In fact there was a thread about the version 13.05 "shorter time step" problem at https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?54867-OpenRocket-issue-with-multiple-stages . That thread lead to a discussion on the openrocket-dev mailing list, and there is a bugfix in the works for booster tumble recovery. In the mean time, as T-Rex said, you can change the time step of the simulation to a lower value as a work around. Did the work-around work for you?

There's also a new wiki for OpenRocket at https://wiki.openrocket.info . Right now it mostly has the same information as the old sourceforge page, but hopefully we can get much better documentation written soon. I definitely want to add a FAQ page, and basic instructions on how to get started with OpenRocket.

Back