Der Red Max Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAviator

Reaction score
Contrary to my signature, I do, in fact, build 3FNC rockets now and again. I received a Der Red Max kit recently, and thought it would be a good way to relax and refine my finishing skills. (Read: I can't remove grain or spirals to save my life.)

Some of the highlights of the build thus far:

I've applied three coats of SIG nitrate dope to the fins, sanding with progressively finer grits of sandpaper, to seal the wood. I did this prior to attaching because I find that sealing is easier ahead of time.

I used a straight edge razor blade to scrape away the mold lines on the plastic nose cone and then sanded with 220 grit paper to prepare the cone for paint.

I used my trusty Rose Fin Jig (sic, I know it's a fixture) to attach the fins. As I only have a 13mm, 18mm, and 24mm mandrel, I friction fit the motor mount to the 18mm mandrel and friction fit the airframe to the mount. I glued each fin individually with Titebond and clamped with a binder clip until the glue dried.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the fixture in use and then a final shot from the aft end to show just how easy it makes attaching fins straight. It may be expensive, but it does work very well.

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Last edited:
I seem to have found the secret to my woes: wet sanding! I've applied a coat of Testors rattle primer (not my choice, but what I had on hand) and did a thorough wet sanding with 150 grit paper. I need to go pick up more primer so I can spray another coat. I also need to remember to put the launch lugs on before I get too much farther in the finishing...

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

Found a can of the old Krylon grey primer, so shot two coats of that and did some sanding. Turns out I've had the skills for a good finish all along, but not the patience. The finish isn't perfect, but after a wet sanding with 400 grit paper, I'm willing to call this bird paint ready.

DSC_0088.jpg

Looking good! I (like many others) love Der Red Max. I have one and I am thinking of getting another kit as a back up.

I've got three coats of color on both the airframe and the nose cone. I sprayed the cone flawlessly, but managed to get a run in the airframe. They both look like they need to be wet sanded, so I'll be doing that with 600 grit to shine the paint and to get rid of the run.

I found these paints at the local Ace hardware store, and they seem to be working pretty well. One thing that I do like about them is they have some sort of special spray head. It sprays in a planar rather than conical fashion and also has an easy press button. No wearing out your finger with these cans! It is still an enamel, so I need to wait a few days to sand.

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

Just a quick update. I'm a little impatient, so I carefully put the nose cone on for some assembled shots. Going to let it dry until Friday and do some sanding, then apply the decals and clear.
DSC_0093.jpg

And... done! I did a couple of passes with 600 grit sandpaper, then shot a final coat of color. Apply decals, apply Future, and voila! Finished rocket. The finish isn't perfect, but it's far better than I've been able to accomplish thus far.

I'm planning on flying her tomorrow. Hopefully there will be pics.DSC_0097.jpg

Nice job on your Max Brian,I have one in my build pile.I built one for my grandson and used a 24mm LOC motor tube,made some centering rings out of birch plywood.It's on display in his room until he's old enough to come out and launch with our club.

Nice job on your Max Brian,I have one in my build pile.I built one for my grandson and used a 24mm LOC motor tube,made some centering rings out of birch plywood.It's on display in his room until he's old enough to come out and launch with our club.

I considered swapping for 24mm mount, but I wanted to do a good finish, and therefore get it back. I figured a C6-3 would be plenty of flight for this bird.

Back