A.C.M.E. Spitfire on D12-0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemech

Reaction score
That’s right. Dumbsh*t (me) installed a D12-0 instead of a D12-3. Ejected at burnout. (sob) Stripped the shrouds from the ‘chute, zippered the tube, ripped the elastic from the kevlar and allowed the body to prang onto one of the few spots of hard dirt on the grassy field. The nose cone and ‘chute (remains thereof) drifted down nicely onto the grass. The front section of BT-70 crumpled at the S3/S4 joint. Surprisingly, the stuffer tube looks OK. When the shock cord is repaired and the ‘chute replaced I’m going to fly it again. I may leave the BT-70 damage as is. Actually looks OK on the Spitfire. I’ll make an 8" ‘chute from what’s left of this one. I must practice not being stupid. After 68 years you would think I had it figured out. :eyeroll:

Mike

I always said that if I made motors I would stamp them so that you could read the motor type AFTER installation...

Also, you've discovered one of the features of the A.C.M.E. Spitfire.... The greater the battle scars, the cooler she looks :)

'taint no such thing as an ugly ACME! :)

Mike,
Sorry to heat about your Spitfire - we've all installed a wrong engine at one point.

Jim,
I agree! I sent a suggestion to Estes a while back:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-engine-designation-idea.html

I know this would be a change, expensive to do. Still, it would solve problems.

Taking a tip from Bill Gibson (from Tampa TTRA), I write the engine designation on the paper tape holding the nichrome wires.
The "X" reminds me that wadding was installed.

Igniter ID.jpg

Everybody makes a mistake now and then..... One thing I do is to keep my motor box off my prep table. The only motor I have in front of me is the one I intend to launch. Also at one of the clubs I launch at the motor is not to be installed until after you get checked by the RSO. I've often seen him catch that very problem.

Jerome

Back