SpaceX Falcon 9 model nosecone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmattingly13

Reaction score
After an unfortunate bout of wind and my own poor judgment thereof, I've managed to lodge the capsule (nosecone) of my SpaceX Falcon 9 at the top of a tree. A bit of investigation led me to believe that SpaceX doesn't sell spare parts, and seeing as the nosecone is pretty important (no matter how many C motors I use, I still won't have the cargo carrying capability to get stuff to the ISS!), I see that as a bit of a predicament. Rather than buying a new kit, which seems kind of pointless for losing a nosecone, I was thinking I could turn a new one on a lathe, or if feeling particularly ambitious, 3-D print a new one.

The problem is, for some reason I didn't foresee the possibility of losing the Dragon in a tree. (Can't really figure that one out--it's given me plenty of close calls before...) I was hoping that someone out there may happen to know the dimensions of the nosecone so I could reproduce it (major diameter, shoulder OD, shoulder length, length not including the shoulder, tip radius, mass). Many thanks!

here are some dimensions of the real thing...https://www.spacex.com/SpaceX_Brochure_V7_All.pdf

the 3.6m dia from the drawing is 1.655" on my model (over the wrap) which makes this a 1:85.8 scale. Best I can measure the widest diameter (heat shield OD?) is 1.70 here are my measurements, but that taper from the 1.7 to 1.655 is a radius, but I don't know what the dimension is. Plus I am not sure about the tip...on the model is a little more elliptical than a sphere like I drew, but this should get you in the ball park...

View attachment SpaceX_Dragon.PDF

After an unfortunate bout of wind and my own poor judgment thereof, I've managed to lodge the capsule (nosecone) of my SpaceX Falcon 9 at the top of a tree. A bit of investigation led me to believe that SpaceX doesn't sell spare parts, and seeing as the nosecone is pretty important (no matter how many C motors I use, I still won't have the cargo carrying capability to get stuff to the ISS!), I see that as a bit of a predicament. Rather than buying a new kit, which seems kind of pointless for losing a nosecone, I was thinking I could turn a new one on a lathe, or if feeling particularly ambitious, 3-D print a new one.

The problem is, for some reason I didn't foresee the possibility of losing the Dragon in a tree. (Can't really figure that one out--it's given me plenty of close calls before...) I was hoping that someone out there may happen to know the dimensions of the nosecone so I could reproduce it (major diameter, shoulder OD, shoulder length, length not including the shoulder, tip radius, mass). Many thanks!
I'll talk to the guy that makes the kits for SpaceX-(personal friend) and ask a favour. No promises, but I'll try.

I'll talk to the guy that makes the kits for SpaceX-(personal friend) and ask a favour. No promises, but I'll try.

If that doesn't work I have a professional 3D printer that I've been making mold masters for Apogee and parts for my own kits. I can do it pretty reasonably priced, I have my Dragon kit to use for reference.

If you would like measurements from the nosecone of the model and not the actual measurments please let me know.

I think the PDF David attached has the model dimensions. Could you confirm those?
Yes, but if you can get the shape of the tip closer than I did, I will gladly update my drawing...it appears to be more of an elliptical shape than a true sphere, but I only have a set of dial calipers to measure the thing with.

I really want to get that kit. I always thought I wouldn't launch it though because I wouldn't want to lose it. lol

Back