All-In-One DD 5" Jart

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbertelsen

Reaction score
Well, Wildman offered up his 5" dual deploy kit a month or two ago and I bit. I am in the final major construction phases and wanted to share a few ideas.

My goal is to be able to launch this as a standard Jart or the extended DD version. The alt bay on the DD is a set of concentric tubes to allow a longer (CTI 54mm 6XL or more) motor in the hole plus a good amount of area for electronics. This is great but I wanted the flexibility of launching the stock airframe as well with GPS tracker and possibly flight electronics in the nosecone.

I have done the all-thread through the nose and leave the nosecone shoulder free to be removed for access on previous rockets. There are three issues with this at the moment:
  1. The shoulder never sits at the same depth; this makes shear pins a pain.
  2. The shoulder likes to bind and be a pain.
  3. Locating the nosecone bulkplate in the standard location cuts down motor choices due to length.

Solution:

I took the 1" vent band and sliced about 3/8 inch out of it to allow it to slide into the nosecone just short of the place the shoulder starts to bind. Rough up the are it sits and the outer side of the ring with 60 grit and epoxy in.

Epoxy the nosecone bulkplate where it will allow enough clearance for a CTI 54mm 6GXL motor. This was about in the front of the nosecone shoulder on my rocket. YMMV depending on where you locate the motor mount tube.

Cut all-thread to appropriate length and add the rest of the hardware to the bulkplate (shock cord mount and electronics attachment point.

Voila, your nosecone shoulder is always the same depth for shear pins and doesn't bind!

I will post a couple of pictures soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back