Maxi Alpha 3 (in pieces)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
Let me introduce my modified version of the Estes Maxi Alpha 3.

However, I must first begin with a sad story for why I decided in doing the modification. On 1st January of this year my relatives house burnt to the ground. Almost everything in the house was lost. Among the items were 60% of my rockets among others my Estes D-Region Tomahawk, Estes Pro Series II™ Nike Smoke, Estes Der V3 and the MA3.

I enjoy flying the MA3 so I had to have one my rocket fleet again.

Since it is difficult for me to build rockets in the States I decided to build it in Germany where I live.
The main stumbling block was the question of how to carry the rocket in my luggage for transportation to the States. Fully assembled would not be practical, however if I could disassemble the fins then the storage problem would be solved.

Here the MA3 fully assembled ready for flight:
maxi_alpha_3_P_1903.jpg

As you can see, no difference to the normal built version.

However this is how it looks in pieces:
maxi_alpha_3_P_Layout.jpg

The modifications were simple.

First assemble the lower sections as per instructions:
maxi_alpha_3_P_Lowerassem.jpg

Then add two launch lugs and a stage coupler as anchor to the upper engine tube:
maxi_alpha_3_P_Twistlock.jpg

Make a second die cut ring and glue together for added strength. Also cut two holes so the launch lugs pass through.
maxi_alpha_3_P_Ringassem.jpg

Place the 3 fins on the lower section and slide the movable top fine ring in place:
maxi_alpha_3_P_Finunit.jpg

Now all that needs to be done is to slide the fin unit in the body tube assembly and twist until it is in a locked position.
maxi_alpha_3_P_Lockpos.jpg

One other BIG advantage to this setup that one can easily replace the fins as they are very prone to break :D

Last edited:
Maybe they are just 'speechless' over the cool modification..:) Very nice!

Or in shock of you losing 60% of your rockets to a fire.:eek: Either way, looks great(as usual:D) and looking forward to seeing you in a couple of months for Freedom Launch!

I won't be attending Freedom Launch due to the sad situation with the house burning down.

Old thread, I know. But that is a very cool and interesting modification! Nice idea for a rocket that can be broken down and transported.

Hi, I came across this thread as I was searching for a Maxi 3 Alpha KIT. I took one of these rockets un assembled in my suit case in 1979 to Greece, Europe. I had the D motors shipped separately by mail. I assembled the rocket and was able to get two flights off in an open field before being chased off by an agricultural watchman who thought we would put the field on fire. Greece is very dry so they are very nervous about pyrotechnics. I was looking for the same kit to bring to Greece and fly it with my son to recreate the memory. If i can not find a kit I will try to reproduce it.

Always nice to see when an old thread one had started pops up again :)

My modified Alpha 3 is still going strong, swapping a broken fin now and then.

What vendors sell motors in Europe? i am looking to maybe ship some to GREECE from Europe, not sure what the regulations are to ship from the USA to Greece. I am thinking it might be easier to find a European source for motors.

Back