Cosmic Inteceptor build questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudoldboy

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to.start this build. I am new to more advanced rocketry techniques, but have plenty of experience with fine scale aircraft modeling. I planning on papering the wings, and using epoxy fillets on this one. What do you think about not installing the "air intake" to nowhere? It looks like its only purpose is to look cool and rob performance. Am I right? Is a D-12-3 too small for this rocket? I have never launched an E size motor but it looks like I may need too with this beast.

This isn't the only rocket with intakes, check out the QCC Explorer it has four. Being a kit it's been designed to fly. I've built the QCC, Renegade which has five fins, two wing pods and two tanks, and have a Raptor on the way. These rockets are heavy, the QCC being the lightest of the three. The intakes shouldn't effect flight but the weight will effect altitude. On a D-12-3 the Renegade reaches around 800', I also have a Black Star Voyager and also on a D-12-3 is about the same, low slow flights. The QCC on the other hand is a screamer, on a D it easily reaches 1000-1200', with four intakes. When I first built the QCC I thought like you, I thought that with four blocked off intakes it would be really draggy, and probably unstable but I was way off. It's probably the highest, most stable flyer in my fleet.

SciFi models are NOT ment to be performance rockets. They are suppose to look COOL. If you want performance simply make a 3-fina nose cone rocket.

John Boren

Thank you for the replies. Mr. Boren, I in no way meant any disrespect. I love the new kits you are designing. I just didn't want to hurt performance too bad flying it on a D only.
If it rains tomorrow I will start building it.

Mr. Boren, I in no way meant any disrespect

Boy I feel older then I really am. Non taken.

For a little more punch try the new Estes E12 motor or any of the Aerotech 24mm composite motors. The Cosmic Interceptor is a good looking model in the air, so enjoy the flight and don't worry so much about how high it goes. For those days you want to scream off the pad and fly out of site, try the new Astron Sprint XL.

John Boren

Will do John. I can't wait to get it on the pad and push the button.
Nothing to do with age, everything to do with respect. I'm in my 40's and was raised by a depression era farmer.
I'm on a tear for big kits right now. Maybe it's over-compensating. :)

Pictures of the build or launch would be cool if you like:)

Well life happened so I just filled the spirals last night. After reading a lot on here I'm thinking of a baffle. I'm thinking I should put it in place of the tube coupler. I want to build my own but have never built one. Which design is better? Holes drilled or the half moons?

Back