Finishing bare fiberglass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

There's a bunch of new colored fiberglass tubes out there. How do you finish these? Yes, I've painted fiberglass before but I am looking for something "easier". I have thought about paste car wax and Future floor polish, but really I want to get some advice before I start.

Thanks

Kevin

Top coat of epoxy thin coat, Wet sand with 500 thru 2500. All you need. Glass must be seal first. After this you can apply polish/wax.

You can also just use a clear coat and then do the sanding/buffing/polish bit. Won't be as tough as the thin epoxy though.
I was told to use the table top type clear epoxy for what it's worth.
-Ken

Finish epoxy will add some weight. You can just use Future and then buff it out with 3M Finess-It. Also for an interesting depth of finish you might try some of Krylon's translucent paints and then apply Future. Both have been successful for me.

I havent tried it yet but making fishing rods we use a thin resin to coat the threads and some of the blanks, its high gloss and comes in a lightweight version. You put it on with a brush and have the rod in a rotator that spins 5-6 rpm to keep any sagging places evened out. Strong and flexible so it should work good. I'll let you know when I try some if it hasent already been used.

Back