A chapter of my life winds down! Finally!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenstarr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Today is the last day of school for me! It's been a LONG LONG LONG time in the coming. Most sane individuals would have simply finished college long ago or dropped out but not me. I knew when I took a manager job 5 years ago I would be in for the long haul. In parody of an old song, "I did it one class at a time, And it cost me a lot of dimes...." But after my finals today I will be done! Graduation is Saturday.
I will have a swell degree in Environmental Water and Soil Science, emphasis in the soils aspect. Unfortunately, I don't plan on doing anything with it. To take a job with just that bachelors degree would be a nice step down in pay. A masters would help but I don't want to go there. All my life I have struggled with math, which is sad because I really like it. It just doesn't click (I still count on my fingers) but hey, I made it through calculus and physics!
Now I need to decide what to do with the rest of my life. I'm seriously considering becoming an electrician (yeah baby, more school and a step down in pay... for a little bit) or just staying in retail management.
At the very least, I'm going to sign up for a cake decorating class at Hobby Lobby just as soon as I can. Cupcakes anyone?
-Ken

If you like retail then stick with it. Many companies will advance you into upper management based on your bachelors even if it isn't directly related to retail sales. Heck, I've know area managers that had little or no college. Of course I don't have to tell you that the life of a retail manager is a lot of long hours, stress and butt kissing. Watch your back, literally, I messed up my back pretty badly as have a lot of other managers I've known. One good thing about retail is that there are always jobs to be found. You'll never get rich but you can stay in work for as long as you want or are able. Unfortunately you may have to work into your seventies.

" But after my finals today I will be done! Graduation is Saturday.

At the very least, I'm going to sign up for a cake decorating class at Hobby Lobby just as soon as I can. Cupcakes anyone?
-Ken

Congratulations! :wave:

And, why yes! please!

Yes, it has been quite the journey! A few years ago I realized I wouldn't be pursuing a career within my field of study but I still wanted to finish if for no other reason I can say I started something and saw it through to the bittersweet end. Same reason I will be starting on my L3 cert this fall I hope! My poor sister (and only sibling) is in the same long haul slow boat but I'm even more proud of her. After getting pregnant at 15 and dropping out of high school, she will also be finishing a degree as an RN within a year and she is working in her field already! Of all my family and extended family, I've only had 2 other cousins get at least a four year degree. Others have done trade school. If I could go back in time, career wise, I should have done a trade as all my high school tests showed that was my best option. However, for where I'm at in life and what I have been blessed with, I wouldn't change anything, except fail less classes. I'm here to tell you, If I can do it, anyone can!
-Ken

Congratulations for sticking with it. My wife just finished her Masters in Nursing....a lot of work and sacrafice.
And if you go to the trouble, pumkpin cupcakes are my favorite :) HAV

Congratulations!

A degree is definitely worth having even if you do not end up working in your field of study. It can still advance your career, because it says something about you as a person who can set a long-term goal and see it through, and in your case, that is especially true.

Congrats, it doesn't matter how long it took you got their.

I went to school for 6 years straight while working full-time jobs (mostly retail) before dropping out because I didn't think I could do it any longer. Then after an 8 year absence my wife (girlfriend at the time) convinced me to give it another try. The result, I now have a B.S. and M.S. in Physics and am currently working on my PhD. Sometimes it just takes persistence (and the right support).

FYI with all the math classes I've had, I still count on my fingers and can't add or subtract worth crap. Calculus on the other hand I do in my head, go figure. I always thought I was bad at math when I was younger because I had trouble adding. It took a very good teacher to finally tell me it was OK to use my fingers, if I needed too, and that it didn't mean I wasn't as smart as the other kids if I did, for me the get comfortable enough with math to start understanding it.

-Alan

The derivative of acceleration is a jerk. Don't let it play with your rockets, you may not get them back.

Congrats!!

I get the work you have done, both in school and life, I am facing something myself...

Been a Paramedic for 22 years, have done every job you can do with that, problem is, it is a young man's job and I am starting to just fall apart.

Maybe time to follow your lead, good luck in what you decide!!

The journey has been a pleasure. At times I wanted to quit, and financially, that may have made complete sense. My wife is a teacher and let's just say, quitting was not an option so I really owe it to her to give enough encouragement, maybe even a kick in the pants at times to keep me going. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't teary eyed as I walked back from school. I should be absolutely excited but I feel like a kid that just had their blanket/comfort object taken away. I'm still tied to the school with our giant pumpkin growing contest we have going on and I'm excited for that.

Just remember all you young'uns, if you decide to get an associates and then do a bachelors degree, do yourself a favor and make sure everything is transferable BEFORE you do the associates! Yeah, I got an AAS in Environmental Technology Management and not much transfered... Lesson learned.
-Ken

Latest posts

Back