Vintage Centuri Buck Rogers Marauder Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I have collected a few of these kits over the years including the other 2 Centuri Buck Rogers Kits. I always thought these were neat looking but I am not to impressed with the paper parts, oh well. This kit is in great condition and was a pretty challenging build. I think if the parts were laser cut it would help, but still it is challenging. I learned from other Centuri paper builds to fillet all paper joints so that is what I did here. I used a toothpick to help apply the Elmers glue in tight areas. This rocket is pretty heavy so I will take it easy on the primer coats.

DSC_1229.JPG

DSC_1235.JPG

DSC_1240.JPG

DSC_1249.JPG

DSC_1250.JPG

DSC_1251.JPG

WOW! That's one you don't see every day. I'm amazed at what was "kit'ed" back in the day. Cool red nose cone. Another ebay find ?

Very cool! This is a design right up my ally, these are the designs I really like. Where did you find it and how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

Another question, how do you plan on painting it? With all the nooks and crannies it looks like a painting nightmare.

Very cool! This is a design right up my ally, these are the designs I really like. Where did you find it and how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

Another question, how do you plan on painting it? With all the nooks and crannies it looks like a painting nightmare.

I had this kit and the Buck Rogers Earth Forces Starfighter back in the 80's... (unfortunately I don't think they survived Grandma's attic all those years during my pre-BAR-dom...) This is a model of the Draconian Marauder from the "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" TV series from 1979-80. It was produced by Centuri, a rocket company that later became part of Estes (or technically the other way around, due to business benefits, but I digress-- basically Centuri was "absorbed" into Estes, and the Centuri stuff went away, for the most part). It hasn't been produced in probably close to 30 years...

These kits turn on Ebay for anywhere from fairly reasonable to downright rediculous prices... check there if you're really interested in them... there's also probably the capability to clone them if one looks around-- folks on YORF would probably be the best source for information on that... either cloning from the plans or getting someone to scan and send you tracings of the cardstock "wing cutouts" that were stacked to create more aerodynamic copies of the fat, thick wings of the Draconian Marauder seen in the TV show (which obviously was never intended to fly anywhere but onscreen). A copy of the decals would be really cool too, as it had the horn-frilled "death's head" seen in the TV show...

Later! OL JR :)

PS... it's ALLEY... as in "right up my alley"... not "ally", as in "the Force is my ally", meaning a supportive friend... :)

Very COOL.
Another kit that just begs to be upscaled.
Chris

Erin Gray....
Be still my fever wracked heart. With apologies to all the women of TRF, but those clothes should be the law...

:marshmallow::marshmallow:
:duck::duck:

Edit. Oh! Nice build!

Erin Gray....
Be still my fever wracked heart. With apologies to all the women of TRF, but those clothes should be the law...

Edit. Oh! Nice build!

Erin---Did you say Erin??? ---gray.jpg---OH YEA, THE ROCKET IS COOL TOO !!! Nice find !!

I'm happy to cut a set of parts if you want? How about $7 + postage?

Krusty

Sounds good. I also have the Buck Rogers Centuri Starfighter, I can draw the parts in CorelDraw if you like.

Erin Gray....

Edit. Oh! Nice build!

Wilma was hot, but Princess Ardala was hotter...
buck-rogers-princess-ardala-2.jpgmedium_wilmaardala2.jpgPrincess_Ardala_Buck_Rogers-240x300.jpgWilma Deering.jpg

Geeezus... I forgot that last photo... I hate the blond dew... but otherwise... it ought be the law...

Now where were we before I hi-jacked the thread...

Geeezus... I forgot that last photo... I hate the blond dew... but otherwise... it ought be the law...

Now where were we before I hi-jacked the thread...

Yeah I wish I could find a pic of Erin in "Plot to Kill a City" from Buck Rogers, where she was sent in "question" one of the assassins, Quince, played by John Quaide... where she was in the purple dress slit up to her waist... geez louise and holy hannah!!!

"Pure Denebian silk-- absolutely NOTHING gets my attention faster than pure Denebian silk..." o_O

Mine too, Quince, mine too... (course pure Denebian silk looked a lot like purple rhinestones, but I digress)

Gotta funny feeling, OL jR, despite a our differences, we'd have a grand afternoon sippin' a little sip and watch the Sun cross the sky.

Now again... back to the thread... what was them thar parts?

Yeah I wish I could find a pic of Erin in "Plot to Kill a City" from Buck Rogers, where she was sent in "question" one of the assassins, Quince, played by John Quaide... where she was in the purple dress slit up to her waist... geez louise and holy hannah!!!

"Pure Denebian silk-- absolutely NOTHING gets my attention faster than pure Denebian silk..." o_O

Mine too, Quince, mine too... (course pure Denebian silk looked a lot like purple rhinestones, but I digress)

Available from Netflix. Rent the disc and grab a screen image ! Oh, Erin was a hottie in late 70's interpretation of future fashion. Wow.

Available from Netflix. Rent the disc and grab a screen image ! Oh, Erin was a hottie in late 70's interpretation of future fashion. Wow.

I've got the DVD set... I absolutely LOVE BRIT25C...

They just don't make good sci-fi like that anymore...

How does "Netflix" work?? I've heard about it but I don't know anything about it... bought a new blu-ray player and it had "Netflix" and "Vudu" and some other stuff on the box, but I don't have a clue how it works...

PS... it's been 25 years, 5 months, and 11 days since the nuclear war on November 22, 1987... which means poor Buck has been drifting in space in the lost Ranger 3 now for about 26 years...

Gotta funny feeling, OL jR, despite a our differences, we'd have a grand afternoon sippin' a little sip and watch the Sun cross the sky.

Now again... back to the thread... what was them thar parts?

Oh, that's true for sure... though I don't really drink much, but I'm always up for spinning a yarn...

Differences is what makes life interesting doncha know...

"I don't expect you to know everything, but have you ever heard of sticking a bomb up the tailpipe of a rocket ship??" LOL:) "Bottoms up!" (which they cut on the TV versions, where after kicking Tiger-man in the walnuts, he sticks a bomb under his belt above his butt and activates it, and kicks him in the pants, sending him into a bomber loading pit, copping the "bottoms up!" line as he turned and ran out the hatchway just before the bomb went off...

Oh, Erin was a hottie in late 70's interpretation of future fashion. Wow.

Yep... this is true...

What's bad is that so much of the "disco" stuff made it into BRITXXVC.... that BADLY dates it now... kinda like Starbuck and Captain Apollo's moppish haircuts on the original (and only decent IMHO) BSG...

Still, gotta love it when men were men and women LOOKED like women, and most folks (except ugly chicks screaming about women's lib) liked it that way... not like now when you can barely tell the chicks from the guys on most TV shows and movies... and if you can't, someone screams "sexism" or "objectifying" women...

Oh well... life was better back then...

OL JR :)

I got a few kits too! Started building one awhile age. I should get back at it.

What color paint are you gonna use Sigs?

Here we go again...didn't I just see all these same photos on a watering hole thread a few month's ago?

That's ok. A) there are new people joining TRF everyday B) I can not read every post on TRF, C) in general I make it a point to avoid the watering hole most of the time as my outlook on Politics, Religion, and such rarely seem to match the average TRF poster and I prefer to simply avoid looking there altogether.

Now ontopic, are the parts balsa or fiberboard? And how ya gonna sand the primer without breaking most of it? :wink:

How does "Netflix" work?...

Select what kind of subscription you want as in DVD / BluRay/ streaming.

For discs, just search for something you want and add it to your queue. They mail it to you. Usually most folks get it next day. Watch the disc. Return it using the provided return envelope by mail. They then send the next disc in your queue to you. I mostly do it this way, ripping the content to my HTPC to create a local queue of ready to go mostly bluray quality content. I delete everything after watching ( no pirate, me ).

For Netflix streaming, any computer or other network enabled device that has a Netflix app allows you to access the ~10% of the Netflix library that they have enabled for streaming. To be clear, they have much more available by disc than for streaming. Also, if you are an AV snob like me, streaming is nowhere near bluray quality. But I still stream stuff where quality doesn't matter.

Select what kind of subscription you want as in DVD / BluRay/ streaming.

For discs, just search for something you want and add it to your queue. They mail it to you. Usually most folks get it next day. Watch the disc. Return it using the provided return envelope by mail. They then send the next disc in your queue to you. I mostly do it this way, ripping the content to my HTPC to create a local queue of ready to go mostly bluray quality content. I delete everything after watching ( no pirate, me ).

For Netflix streaming, any computer or other network enabled device that has a Netflix app allows you to access the ~10% of the Netflix library that they have enabled for streaming. To be clear, they have much more available by disc than for streaming. Also, if you are an AV snob like me, streaming is nowhere near bluray quality. But I still stream stuff where quality doesn't matter.

Interesting... I used to be able to keep up with the video/home entertainment technology... then I got older... Now I guess I'll have to get my nephew to explain it to me....

Thanks for the information...

Quote Originally Posted by luke strawwalker View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing... LOL

Later! OL JR

Not at all, just making an observation, the last thread with these pics got locked..just sayin.

BTW.. I've had Netflix for about a year now and love it, eight buck a month and you pick what you want to watch, when you want to watch it. It's especially good if you like older TV series shows, I've been on a StarTrek marathon for six months, got all the of them, the original ST, STNG, Voyager, and Enterprise. Also watch Bones, Dirty Job's, Myth Busters and many other shows and movies. I recently got to watch that new mini series about the Hatfields and Mc Coys, that was pretty interesting. A lot of documentaries which I watch a lot of. I very rarely watch regular TV any more, I haven't had cable or satellite in ten years.

Back