OpenRocket 13.04 public beta

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we now attach pods at fin's end? Would love to design my Kramer X4 with OpenRocket finally....the better SW ;-)

I guess the answer's no.

I'm sure if you volunteer to do some experimentation (lots of flights of various tube fin numbers and lengths and sizes and thicknesses) the team might be able to work out some heuristics which would be close enough...

Thanks, not sure how I missed that.

I'm sure if you volunteer to do some experimentation (lots of flights of various tube fin numbers and lengths and sizes and thicknesses) the team might be able to work out some heuristics which would be close enough...
Excellant. A starting point. I had no idea what was required on the business end of this. I thought it was just something no one was interested in.

Leo,

Thanks for confirming this. I didn't see anybody take a look at it. I'll give it a try.

Kevin

Any news on the issue? I've given up trying to solve it. I also have the problem with the official release version.

Any news on the issue? I've given up trying to solve it. I also have the problem with the official release version.

Leo,

The problem appears to be with the way the graphic is set up and the use of scaling. Basically, with the graphic scaled, it over laps itself, so the text gets occluded. Try reworking the graphic so the the letters are the correct proportion. What I mean to say is, if the rocket has a 4" circumference and you want letters 1" tall, work the graphics so the letters take 1/4 the height of the graphic.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin but that's not the problem as far as I can tell.

I spent over an hour yesterday using all different kind of images.

Did you take a look at my .ork file?

Thanks Kevin but that's not the problem as far as I can tell.

I spent over an hour yesterday using all different kind of images.

Did you take a look at my .ork file?

Yes I did. Unfortunately, I'm not a graphics kind of guy - so I couldn't do much with it. I played around with the scaling of some (in the Appearance menu) and got it to work, though I didn't really figure out a pattern.

I'll spend a little more time playing with it to see if I can find some magic settings.

Kevin

Kevin,

I don't think you understand the problem.

Let me try to make a video to show you what is happening.

Kevin,

I don't think you understand the problem.

Let me try to make a video to show you what is happening.

Leo,

This is what I think is happening. The texture is being translated by a certain amount (-0.1 in your case). But this translation essentially pushes the top (or bottom) of the letters out of the texture so when it gets applied, those are missing. I think the correct fix is to translate the geometry before applying the texture, but I don't know exactly how to do this. I'm trying to find some settings of the offset to allow your rocket to display mostly correct.

Kevin

I have a decal sheet for the 220 Swift scanned and saved.

Now how do I apply the texture to the rocket?

The 3D views are great. Really adds to the finished look of a project. Figured out how to get the colors right, just need to figure out the textures.

Thanks
Rod

No complaints from me, the software just keeps getting better and better. Yes there are a few bugs here and there and some limitations but overall it is a great tool and all the efforts put into it are much appreciated.

Keep up the good work guys and thank you very much!

Rod, sorry to say this, but I'm not that good at getting the decals to work correctly in OR. I do have some hints which you will need to follow.

1) you have to use a graphics program to "cut" the decals into different files. Each decal needs to be in its own file.

2) Try the body decal first. It should be much easier.

3) Not certain about the fin decal - with the fin canted like it is

4) Have the decals' background be "transparent". This is a special color you'll find in some graphics editors. If you can't find out how to do this in your graphics editor, then I suggest you start another thread here - certainly there's somebody who can help out.

The general process to apply a decal is:

Select the component (body tube, fin, etc) to which you want to apply the decal, and open the config dialog (double clicking on the component will open this thing).

Go to the "appearances" tab. Uncheck the "use default appearance" to enable the other options. Now you can set the base color, and try to apply the decal. You browse to find the file you want to use, then you have to play with the different sliders to get it to look right. Sometimes you'll have to rotate the decal by 90-degrees because they aren't oriented correctly.

If you do finally figure it out - I think the forum (and myself) would benefit from a little build thread.

Kevin

I have a decal sheet for the 220 Swift scanned and saved.

Now how do I apply the texture to the rocket?

The 3D views are great. Really adds to the finished look of a project. Figured out how to get the colors right, just need to figure out the textures.

Thanks
Rod

Ok, I give up. VCP is just too old and awaited updates are still in the works. But I go to download from the link and get a 404 error.

Now what?

Back