OpenRocket 13.04 public beta

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
Hi all,

After many long dark months, OpenRocket hatches forth with a new version 13.04 (beta 2). Thanks to Troj for giving us a little bit of space to serve up the beta version here https://www.rocketryforum.com/openroc/OpenRocket-13-04beta2.jar

There are a number of bug fixes and new features.

1) Realistic rocket images - see the 3d views of the Example rockets
2) Simulation improvements
- tumble recovery
- boosted darts (unpowered sustainer stages)
- recovery of multiple components - boosters with active recovery, payloads, etc
3) More advanced configuration of various elements for each simulation - motor ignition (airstarts), staging, recovery deployment.
4) Ability to copy flight configurations.

Please play around with it. If you get the "bug exception" dialog, don't be afraid to click on the send button. If you put in your email address or TRF handle, we're more likely to work on the issue since we can get more details. If something weird happens, and you want to discuss it, feel free to post on this thread, start a new one, or otherwise reach out.

We hope that 3d is working for more people, unfortunately, we are certain that it does not work for everyone even in this release.

If you're interested, I hadn't cracked open the Android code for quite some time. Files generated with this version should work with the android program but you won't have access to any of these new advanced features.

Kevin

is there a place i can look for a tutorial or instruction manual to learn OR. there tons of posts everywhere here for little things, but looking for some more organised list. my son and i are starting to want to start hacking kits and want them to be safe.

did not fix the fins, or fin template, not following the shape of the tailcone.
Mini-bdr-fin-or .jpg

Attachments

• Mini BDR2a.rkt
    19.9 KB · Views: 106
er so what is the 'export decal' supposed to do? the 3-d view is looking nice.
rex

is there a place i can look for a tutorial or instruction manual to learn OR. there tons of posts everywhere here for little things, but looking for some more organised list. my son and i are starting to want to start hacking kits and want them to be safe.

There's a few things on the intertubes. I cannot attest to quality since I haven't looked or produced any of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-zVywvizsg
https://www.hobbitsandhobos.com/2012/04/open-rocket-how-to-model-a-simple-rocket/

found something you might want to look at see pic(notice the cg/cp location), and the file that generated the pic.
rex

Rex, I've seen that behavior before during this last round of development. I guess it's back. Thankfully it's just a display annoyance and doesn't affect the quality of the simulation. Lets see how easy it is to fix (again, sigh).

did not fix the fins, or fin template, not following the shape of the tailcone.
View attachment 127268

Sorry, that's not really a "bug" but a major missing feature. I thought about trying to tackle it (since I want it too), but it was just a little too much this time around. Maybe in the next release.

I would like to see a streamer option.

I don't understand this? You mean simulate streamer recovery (which it does already) or something else.

Kevin

I have found an issue...

Other above say they can view in 3D, but when I change the view to any type of 3D, Open Rocket simply closes. It also does it in the other version I have installed... Is there anything I can do about this? If others can do it, I should be able as well. It must be a problem on my end...

EDIT:

Re-read your first post... I see that others have this too... Is there anything that can fix this? Would re-installing Java help?

Last edited:
Orion14ed,

I understand your frustration with the 3d views. I can assure you the examples are quite pretty. Unfortunately, 3d is very complex and requires all pieces - hardware, driver, and program - to work correctly together. We use a support library called jogl which helps interface with the drivers & hardware. Another big problem is every machine is different - different gpu, different memory, different OS and installed patches, etc. There are literally too many combinations to test.

I don't think installing Java will help. Reinstalling the display drivers might help (under Windows). It might be helpful if you started the application then immediate went to Help->Bug Report and sent in a report. Please state in the text box that the application closes when entering 3d and give us either your trf handle or an email address to follow up. Then see if you can run it by hand with java -Dopenrocket.debug=true -jar OpenRocket-13.04beta2.jar (or whatever it's called). It should spew out a bunch of messages which are not all that interesting. Then enter 3d mode and let the application crash. Finally, copy as many log messages as you can from the bottom and email or pm them to me or the openrocket-devel mailing list.

Kevin

I have found an issue...

Other above say they can view in 3D, but when I change the view to any type of 3D, Open Rocket simply closes. It also does it in the other version I have installed... Is there anything I can do about this? If others can do it, I should be able as well. It must be a problem on my end...

EDIT:

Re-read your first post... I see that others have this too... Is there anything that can fix this? Would re-installing Java help?

Kevin, sorry not trying to nitpick on the fins. I think what you guys have done with this is great! I think those who have contributed to it have done a great service for the hobby!

Will do! I used to be pretty handy with a computer, got interviewed by MIT for some of my programs, then moved to C#, never worked with Java though... On that note, I have noticed that when this happens, a bug report is sent to my desktop.

I looked through it, none of it was really readable for me.. other than the fact that it mentioned mini-dumps. I enabled these on my PC, and after some testing it still did crash. Found some threads discussing this issue on other things, they are suggesting a memory test... I would be willing to try this, but I need to back up my PC first to ensure its fine. Attached is the file Java keeps throwing at me when I try it. I can't figure out how to get a Java line up for Open Rocket to give it that command... Much easier in C# :p

If you need any testing on my end, I will be happy to be your lab rat ;D

https://tny.cz/9c215806

Last edited:
Awesome work so far! Like the new texturing options.

Also, wanted to let you know the Android versions works great on the Kindle Fire HD...much more convenient to use at a launch.

Bugs so far:

Black Brant and SRAM files show the fins as transparent (except for the edges) in all the 3D views. Did not have this problem in version 12.09.

Saturn 1B file crashes (with sent Error Report) on any attempt of the 3D view...did not crash and worked properly in version 12.09.

Did not encounter problems in any of the other files I have tried. Included the ORK files for reference.

FC

View attachment AGM-69A - 18mm (Built).ork

View attachment Black Brant II FSI Upscale - 24mm (Built).ork

View attachment Saturn 1B - 13mm.ork

Last edited:
I've encountered a problem with decal placement on a body tube:

ALTDuino_Rocks_Decal_Error.jpg

The decal will only show on one half on the rocket. If I rotate the decal down it will completely disappear and if I rotate upwards it will become completely visible.

At first I was irked, but got over it before posting.

Before anyone asks, no pods, tube fins or ring fins either.

Kevin, sorry not trying to nitpick on the fins. I think what you guys have done with this is great! I think those who have contributed to it have done a great service for the hobby!

So far so good! All the 3D views are working.

The CP/CG error on the views seem to be simply a visual thing. The simulated tests don't appear to be affected.

The finished 3D views are really beautiful. Truly beautiful. Fantastic work guys and gals! +10 kudo points!!

But I do have a question:

How do I put on the decals?

Open Rocket is all I've used. I'll share my reasons for not using rocksim for another thread.

For my purposes Open Rocket has worked without flaw. However I have just one small request, which I'm sure is huge in programming.

I'd really like to do tubular fins. If this capability already exists, I managed to miss it, which is the most likely scenario.

I've encountered a problem with decal placement on a body tube:

ALTDuino_Rocks_Decal_Error.jpg

The decal will only show on one half on the rocket. If I rotate the decal down it will completely disappear and if I rotate upwards it will become completely visible.

Could you share the ORK file with me so I could take a look at it?

Black Brant and SRAM files show the fins as transparent (except for the edges) in all the 3D views. Did not have this problem in version 12.09.
Saturn 1B file crashes (with sent Error Report) on any attempt of the 3D view...did not crash and worked properly in version 12.09.

FC,

Thanks for including those files, I was scratching my head at first, but now that I have the files I've got a handle on it.

-Bill

it would be useful when exporting decals, to be able to click on the decal name and have that name show up as the file name. currently OR will happily save the decal w/o an extension(ex decal1.bmp if saved under the name decal1, will have the file name decal1, this gives irfanview fits as it tries to figure out what format the image is). I have figured out the export function and can export/import decals(after a little help, thank you).
rex

Bill,

I'm having issues with the 3D viewing. The 3D figure works as it did in the first version, with viewpoint functioning correctly. When I try 3D unfinished or finished, it renders everything but the viewport goes to white when I click to adjust POV. If I click on a 2D view and back to 3D, it renders again and behaves as described above.

Stats: OSX 10.7.5
java version "1.7.0_10-ea"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_10-ea-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)

Error codes when run from CLI:

java[47589] <Error>: CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0
java[47589] <Error>: CGContextSetBaseCTM: invalid context 0x0

Thank you to all for your hard work on OR!

Doug

overall, pretty neat. I could not get it to rotate the rocket on a Mac.

Hi Bill -

A little more info in addition to what the other Doug posted. Here's a snippet from the verbose log (running beta 3).

953 9.659 VBOSE (-) GL - init()
954 9.668 VBOSE (-) GL - reshape()
955 9.729 DEBUG (-) Loading texture Texture [offset=(0.000,0.000,0.000), center=(0.000,0.000,0.000), scale=(1.000,1.000,0.000), rotation=0.0, image=/datafiles/textures/wadding.png]
956 9.825 DEBUG (-) Loading texture Texture [offset=(0.000,0.000,0.000), center=(0.000,0.000,0.000), scale=(1.000,1.000,0.000), rotation=0.0, image=/datafiles/textures/spiral-wound-alpha.png]
957 9.910 DEBUG (-) Loading texture Texture [offset=(0.000,0.000,0.000), center=(0.000,0.000,0.000), scale=(1.000,1.000,0.000), rotation=0.0, image=/datafiles/textures/wood.jpg]
958 9.953 DEBUG (-) Loading texture Texture [offset=(0.000,0.000,0.000), center=(0.000,0.000,0.000), scale=(1.000,1.000,0.000), rotation=0.0, image=/datafiles/textures/chute.jpg]
959 9.997 DEBUG (-) Loading texture Texture [offset=(0.000,0.000,0.000), center=(0.000,0.000,0.000), scale=(1.000,1.000,0.000), rotation=0.0, image=/datafiles/textures/balsa.jpg]
960 10.080 DEBUG (-) Loading texture Texture [offset=(0.000,0.000,0.000), center=(0.000,0.000,0.000), scale=(1.000,1.000,0.000), rotation=0.0, image=/datafiles/textures/motors/reusable.png]
961 10.098 DEBUG (-) Redrawing Overlay
962 20.899 DEBUG (-) Redrawing Overlay
963 20.911 DEBUG (-) unselecting
964 65.788 DEBUG (-) Redrawing Overlay
965 65.843 DEBUG (-) Storing size of net.sf.openrocket.gui.main.BasicFrame: java.awt.Dimension[width=2043,height=1338]
966 65.868 VBOSE (-) GL - reshape()
967 65.871 DEBUG (-) Redrawing Overlay

Line 961 is up to the point where the image is first rendered. Everything is fine. Then a click inside the region results in lines 962:963. 964:967 are from resizing the main window, which causes the 3D view to re-render successfully (although I can get it to render in the wrong region of the OR window).

JDK 1.7.0_21

Also Mac 10.7.5

Doug

Open Rocket is all I've used. I'll share my reasons for not using rocksim for another thread.

For my purposes Open Rocket has worked without flaw. However I have just one small request, which I'm sure is huge in programming.

I'd really like to do tubular fins. If this capability already exists, I managed to miss it, which is the most likely scenario.

I guess the answer's no.

Back