Rail Button ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Area66

Reaction score
Do you tight the rail button or you make them loose a little bit so they can turn ?

Do you tight the rail button or you make them loose a little bit so they can turn ?

Either way works fine. If you leave them a little loose the buttons will probably last longer. Personally I tighten mine fully; but that's probably just me.

I agree with rocketgeek101 ,on most of my builds, I drill and tap for the screws and epoxy them in tight.

There are times when on certain rockets,and depending on how I built it ,I use a standoff or backer inside the BT and drill and tap for two sizes of rail buttons, so I may use either a 1010 or 1515 size and simply unscrew one and change over to the other.

If the rail slots are kept clean ,the nylon type buttons will last longer , Delrin longer yet.

Happy flying !

Paul T

I agree with both comments. I tend to have them fairly tight since their job is just to guide the rocket along the rail. There is lots of space round the button so it should never be very tight on the rail itself. It doesn't really need the ability to spin on the screw, but it won't hurt anything if it does.

I've always mounted mine -snug-. Overtightening the 3-piece buttons can cause binding. If the buttons show wear after a flight, I replace them. $.50 for a new pair of buttons is cheap insurance.

Tight; I just don't like the concept of something attached with a screw being able to spin.

Gerald

Back