Rocket Track - Open Source GPS Tracker for Smartphones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those interrested I have converted the rocket track project from Eclipse to Android studio

Here's a question:

I'm looking at rewiring the board to use a different regulator and all thru-hole parts. I'll be happy to post my schematic and PCB, but I have a question. What's the deal with the solder jumpers on the GPS? Are they still needed?

I can include them if they're really necessary- they aren't "true" SMDs. But I'd rather not have them if I don't have to.

What's the deal with the solder jumpers on the GPS? Are they still needed?
They're needed in case you solder the Xbee onto the board and want to reconfigure it through the serial port afterwards, as they allow you to take the GPS out of the circuit.

I believe the newer Xbee modules can be reconfigured over the air, in which case you don't need the jumpers. I have no experience doing this, I've used Xbee sockets for all the boards I've built and I just unplug the Xbee to configure it. So YMMV.

After talking to Kevin Ruland ( the author of rocket track ) he gave me the authorisation to release the modified version of Rocket track that compile with Android studio
you can fin the source code on my github repository
https://github.com/bdureau/RocketTrack

After talking to Kevin Ruland ( the author of rocket track ) he gave me the authorisation to release the modified version of Rocket track that compile with Android studio
you can fin the source code on my github repository
https://github.com/bdureau/RocketTrack

Thanks for keeping this app alive. I still use the earlier version RocketTrack with my RTx and I like it better than the alternatives. I've talked to a few people who have wanted to take it and build on it a little. Hopefully your modified version will make it easier for them.

-brant

If you struggle building it I can release an APK I also have an account on the google play store

I gotta get the Android studio in my Linux box and see if I can build the app. The earlier version was a little squirrely in my hands. Kurt

The only technical issue I had with the last version that Kevin published was there wasn't a clean way to stop the app - I always had to go in and kill it. Other than that, i thought it worked well.

If anyone is planning to poke around in this, my first recommendation for an improvement would be making the direction line between you and the rocket a little heavier (fatter) - it can be hard to see out in the sun.

-brant

Thanks for keeping this app alive. I still use the earlier version RocketTrack with my RTx and I like it better than the alternatives. I've talked to a few people who have wanted to take it and build on it a little. Hopefully your modified version will make it easier for them.

-brant
Is there a different version for Rocket Track that I can download on my android phone? I already read the posts that take me to download some code or zip file. I already have Rocket Locator and don't like it, and I'm currently using Bluetooth GPS and it works well for me. I would like to download Rocket Track to have as a backup but cant find an easy app to download onto my phone.

If anyone's interested, I've designed and built a variant of the Rocket Track Mini board that uses the Ublox SAM-M8Q GPS module. Haven't flown it yet, but it locks up quickly on the ground. Eagle files and PDF schematic in the attached ZIP.

The only problem is that I don't think the SAM-M8Q can be soldered by hand -- I put these together using a toaster oven and solder paste.

Attachments

• rt-sam.zip
    78.3 KB · Views: 75
No, and my efforts to port it to recent Android versions have not been successful so far. Rocket Locator is the only option that's on the Play Store (well, there are probably non-rocket-specific GPS apps that might work.)

Boris,

I don't want to distract you from the work you are doing on the 14.5mm µAltiDuo.

I bet we would all benefit more from the µAltiDuo project.

...if you have the APK, however, it would be nice.

Zeke

Is there a webpage other than this forum chain that goes thru this build with most recent revisions step-by-step?
Weeding thru 19 pages on this forum makes it difficult. It seems I have to go back and forth between pages.
I want to try it, but only if I can review it step-by-step easily.

Back