Rocket Track - Open Source GPS Tracker for Smartphones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.k., I kicked off the gps-provider an enabled the Nexus GPS. Now it has taken round about ten attempt to be connected, but all at once I could have seen also the distance between nexus and tx.:) After round about half a minute the rocket locator closed himself.:( I restarted it and tried about two dozen times to get it connected again but it still not works. I can see only the position of the internal gps an the rx is beeping. Any idea ?

Joerg

EDIT
With "rocket track" instead of "rocket locator" it runs perfect and stabil.:)

Last edited:
Usually wi-fi/wlan devices are using rpsma. Also the xbees need a rpsma male jack antenna. Derek told that in his second post and showed a link.

I've got just an other problem. I'm not able to use the rocket track app offline and there is no radio network on our launch filed. Kevin told me, that google changed their terms of use for maps.
Is anybody here who could help, please ?

Joerg

Your choices are either tether your tablet via wifi to a phone for internet access, or don't use the map. The compass view still works without a data connection.

Another alternative is if an android tracking program could be had to use Open Source Maps a' la APRSDroid. https://aprsdroid.org/osm/

Some major problems with APRSDroid:

1. It's for APRS. 2. It won't operate without a connection to the internet either via WiFi/or Cell network OR a Bluetooth TNC for ham radio APRS tracking.

I did connect my Nexus 7 2013 (FLO) (FLO means no cell phone inside) to WiFi and then got an external B/T GPS to connect to the Nexus and use the OSM maps with APRSDroid. The Nexus also used the external B/T GPS for the position reporting instead of the internal one. One can find a couple of apps to do this on the google android store. Looks good except the above problem of connections. We need an app that one can have portable maps (ie. stored inside the device) to use instead of relying on an internet link.

I believe if one's tracking device is sending out the same NMEA words like is seen from a USB GPS: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PKX2KA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 then a device like an Egg Finder would be compatible with the tracking software.
I mentioned about Xastir in another post here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...st-GPS-RF-Tracking-System&p=682603#post682603 It will not work on an Android device. I bought my Nexus 7 2013 32Gb for that intention but I figure I can use it for other stuff anyways.
Who know's maybe something else will come up.

If a person has a GPS tracking program in a Nexus/phone/Android device and get get a B/T receiver like the one for th EggFinder to connect, they could get a icon on a map but it wouldn't be as nice as the Rocket Finder app.

Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to use an aerial that's for 868MHz not a 2.4GHz

Plus note, boards have arrived!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Solution sorted, be here in a few days

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271431689102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I got problems now trying to get TI TPS3839 Voltage Supervisor & TI TPS73632 3.2V 400mA LDO Regulator in the UK, costs from USA are like $90

You have a couple of options:
1) Order free samples directly from the TI homepage.
2) Order from Digikey or Mouser (both US). The shipping costs will significantly exceed parts value, but will still be way below of $90. If you need more than £50 worth of parts, shipping will be free.
3) Check with Derek if it is okay to substitute the 3.2V LDO with it's 3.3V variant (TPS73633) and order the parts from Farnell (UK).

Reinhard

Last edited:
I'd try the sample route first. The 3.3 v part will work OK you just might lose a little run time depending on how the ldo behaves with a lower input voltage.

You'll still need to find the supervisor though.

I added the build files and link to purchase the mini tx pcb from oshpark to post 5.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...S-Tracker-for-Smartphones&p=522569#post522569

Enjoy!
Derek

edit:

Here is the finished PCB (courtesy of oshpark.com):

Top:

i.png

Bottom:

i.png

Last edited:
I've added the "official" Rocket Track app to post #4 in this thread. You'll need to unzip it first to install it.

Big thanks to Kevin for making this happen.

Thanks Kevin! :)

I've added the "official" Rocket Track app to post #4 in this thread. You'll need to unzip it first to install it.

Big thanks to Kevin for making this happen.

Thanks Kevin! :)

Thanks for posting the link. I'll see if how it works in a Nexus 7 2013 flo (no cell phone inside). Can one use portable maps and not be connected to the network? Will compare with Rocket GPS Locator. I likes choices! :clap:

Kurt

I tested offline compass mode with the TX in a quadcopter two days ago and it works very fine.
You'll only have to take care not to change between the modes after the rx/tx connection breaks-
than maybe you will loose the last position.

Last edited:
You have a couple of options:
1) Order free samples directly from the TI homepage.
2) Order from Digikey or Mouser (both US). The shipping costs will significantly exceed parts value, but will still be way below of $90. If you need more than £50 worth of parts, shipping will be free.
3) Check with Derek if it is okay to substitute the 3.2V LDO with it's 3.3V variant (TPS73633) and order the parts from Farnell (UK).

Reinhard[/QUOTE

Trying the TI free smaple route

There is new XCTU software available for programming the xbee radios:

yeah! I'll have to try it out this weekend. I hope they allow over the air config of the 900hp radios now.

edit:

I just installed it and read through the release notes. It looks like this new software has been available for a while now (since december). one thing they specifically state is it allows for over the air update of firmware for 900hp devices. yeah!

I don't have a tracker with me at work so I can't try this out until the weekend.

Last edited:
I was able to test the new xctu software and it does allow you to manage remote devices over the air! I was able to update the firmware on a transmitter connected to a xbee plugged into my computer via a usb xbee adapter. Yeah!

I had to do two things in order to talk to the xbees.

1. I had to configure the gps to prevent it from sending data. If xtcu receives the gps data, it gets confused. You can temporarily disable the gps from sending data by sending it the following command:

Code:
$PMTK314,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0*28

Make sure you send a cr/lf after the command otherwise it won't work. This command shuts off all the gps strings. Power cycling the tx will return it to the defaults.

2. You need to put the local xbee (the one connected to the computer) in api mode. Make sure you put it back in transparent when you are done otherwise the gps strings won't come out!

I solder 2 x 2mm 10 pins sockets on the board, so I can remove the Xbee for programing or use another one .

You might want to test that on the field. Perhaps turn off the transmitter and walk away, or walk away from the bt receiver. I think I coded it so the app would remember the last known position until it got a more recent one.

Kevin

I tested offline compass mode with the TX in a quadcopter two days ago and it works very fine.
You'll only have to take care not to change between the modes after the rx/tx connection breaks-
than maybe you will loose the last position.

I turned off the tx and the app shows me further last position. Than I switched from compass to map mode ( that still doesn't work offline;-) ) After I immediately returned to compass mode the green arrow has gone.

You might want to test that on the field. Perhaps turn off the transmitter and walk away, or walk away from the bt receiver. I think I coded it so the app would remember the last known position until it got a more recent one.

Kevin

So my boss mails me saying he has the TI parts, sweet result.

So when i use this via the USB on the laptop what program should i look at using?

Got all my part today. All ready to go. Is there a list of how to go about building this, testing/setting it all up

Just taken delivery of my built unit. I just need to work out the route for power cable and then fit the 1'' clear heat shrink.

Have tested it and it's solid green led flashing red. I need to test the base unit and make sure they are talking to each other. I am using a USB adapter as will run it from a ultra book. So how do i do it?

Sorry photo taken on iPhone in the office

Looks like you did a nice job. Good work!

You'll need to put solder blobs on the two jumpers on the bottom of the board (sj1 and sj2) if you want it to work, though.

What are those circles on the top and bottom?

Back