Rocket Track - Open Source GPS Tracker for Smartphones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derek - It's been a while since I commented on here but I wanted to let you know how the trackers have worked for me. I built my first transmitter and receiver a little over a year ago. I have since built one additional transmitter (with a wire antenna) and have parts to build another if i ever get around to it. Honestly, this is probably one of the best investments I've made for my high power rockets. The phone software that Kevin has provided had a few bugs at first but all versions have worked very well and reliably since last summer. The GPS tracker has a few weaknesses, such as it loses connection during the rapid ascent at launch, but it always reconnects during the drogue fall. I have yet to exceed 10k flights, but the tracker always reconnects between 5-7k on my higher flights so there's always plenty of time to visually reacquire the rocket as it falls - and the tracker really helps with that since it's pointing in the direction and giving the altitude. I use this tracker in all my HPR flights at our club and used them at URRF two weekends ago. I was able to easily recover all my rockets, even with a few landing almost a mile away behind trees or in other fields.

So, I wanted to say thanks for providing such a wonderful, affordable tool for my hobby. I hope others are enjoying and using it as much as I am. :clap:

-brant

Afterthought: after having been at a large launch event a few weeks ago (URRF) I wish that I had programmed the radios to something other than the default as I think there was someone else there using one of these. Fortunately, they weren't interfering with recover once it came to launch time.

Hi Brant,

I'm glad to hear that your trackers are working well for you!

You bring up an interesting point about operating these at bigger launches. It should be pretty easy to do now with the updated x-ctu software.

Derek

Derek, A question on the android ap. Don't know if doc exists but what are the required GPS sentences (I assume it processes NMEA text) that need to be sent to the app?

Derek, A question on the android ap. Don't know if doc exists but what are the required GPS sentences (I assume it processes NMEA text) that need to be sent to the app?

I *believe* it only requires the "GxGGA" sentence, but don't take that as fact..

I have not looked at the latest x-ctu software. I have V1.0 boards and thought I had to remove the radios from the boards to reprogram. If that's not the case, then i will certainly look into that.

Hi Brant,

I'm glad to hear that your trackers are working well for you!

You bring up an interesting point about operating these at bigger launches. It should be pretty easy to do now with the updated x-ctu software.

Derek

Jim is correct. The app only uses the gpgga string.

I have not looked at the latest x-ctu software. I have V1.0 boards and thought I had to remove the radios from the boards to reprogram. If that's not the case, then i will certainly look into that.

not anymore. the new xctu allows changes over the air. you'll need to be running the point to multipoint or digimesh fw on the xbees though, which you probably are.

not anymore. the new xctu allows changes over the air. you'll need to be running the point to multipoint or digimesh fw on the xbees though, which you probably are.

This is great news. I'll get a new copy of that tonight when I'm home and look it over. As for firmware - I have whatever was on the xbee's when I got them. Also, I'm guessing I'll need my xbee dongle and a free xbee unit to communicate with the xbees that are in my transmitters and receivers.

you should be able to use the rx as long as you have a bt adapter in your computer.

This is great news. I'll get a new copy of that tonight when I'm home and look it over. As for firmware - I have whatever was on the xbee's when I got them. Also, I'm guessing I'll need my xbee dongle and a free xbee unit to communicate with the xbees that are in my transmitters and receivers.

A quick note as I'll be soon releasing an "RRC3-Telematics" system that's going to utilize the XBee-Pro radio modules. I understand there were some potential "collisions" with "Rocket Track" systems @ URRF... understandable if everyone slaps in vanilla "off-the-shelf" XBee modules w/default configuration.

My strategy is to pre-configure all the XBee modules that I package to utilize the MAC:pHY capabilities of the module, and each set of modules will be specifically paired to each other via the unique SNH/SNL's of each radio. Even with this step, there will inevitably be potential packet collisions when multiple "Xbee-Backbone" systems are in play at a launch. Those conditions are detectable at module level, so I'll be strategizing how to deal with those instances using back-off randomization, etc... Hop table tweaks are also an option, but at this time I don't anticipate going there.

Here's where I'm drawing the line in the sand at the moment for Missile Works Telematics systems:

Preamble : 5
Network ID : 5A5A
Destination SNH/SNL : Paired "per system"

I'd suggest the Rocket Track users consider moving in this direction... your collective comments are welcome.
And as an aside, great job on doing an entire open project.

Hi Jim,

You didn't happen to be testing any of your new telematics stuff at urrf, were you? :)

I agree that the default settings won't work at busy launches. I know I've had to coordinate with another rocket track user at our small club launches to prevent collisions. Unfortunately with the "dumb" nature of my system where the xbee just transmits whatever the gps sends it is inevitable. With a mcu in the tx you can delay the transmission by some unique time to avoid txs simultaneously transmitting every second.

I also agree that we should work together to avoid interference. This is in everyone's best interest. It has been awhile since I read the xbee datasheet so I'd like to study it again before I suggest some settings for rocket track users.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you are bringing to market!

Derek

The Radiotronix modules I used in the "MarsaNet" system have listen before transmit and other collision avoidance logic. I am sure XBee has something similar. Use them in network mode not broadcast is best practice I think. I was at URRF btw, never had a problem on 900 mhz.

Yeah, I had signal dropouts on Friday around 3:00. I wasn't sure what was going on... at the time thought I was having TX/RX problem with my setup, but I think it was interference. I only had 1 Hz transmissions with only the GGA stiing being sent I had the destination addresses paired on my units. Didn't mess with the other settings. Saturday I had no problems.
I've read of at least 5 others using Digi Xbee modules, BRB 900 or others, at URRF II in TRF posts.

Regarding Android app. The UCenter software for the Ublox modules kicks butt, though I used the standard windows version. The android version would be my recommendation. I think it would still work in displaying the NMEA data for the UP 501 even though it wouldn't be able to configure, since they are fastrax based.

Hi Jim,

You didn't happen to be testing any of your new telematics stuff at urrf, were you? :)

Derek

No sir, has only flown in CO... we'll be expanding the testing very soon, however.

My tracker also worked fine at RJD 2014 in May. But I've had unnecessarily some problems, cause I mounted it together with my altimeter in a small ebay. With its 200mW power the x-bee antenna forced the atmega on the altimeter to go nuts. Afterwards nothing extraordinary but it took some time to find out why the chute triggered on the pad before launch ;-)
So take care to keep a little bit distance to your other electronics.

Joerg

My tracker also worked fine at RJD 2014 in May. But I've had unnecessarily some problems, cause I mounted it together with my altimeter in a small ebay. With its 200mW power the x-bee antenna forced the atmega on the altimeter to go nuts. Afterwards nothing extraordinary but it took some time to find out why the chute triggered on the pad before launch ;-)
So take care to keep a little bit distance to your other electronics.

Joerg

Had a similar experience last year with this tracker that I built. I started a thread about it here with some useful discussion:https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?58883-RRC2-mini-malfunction-mystery Really embarrassing to have your rocket shoot its laundry on the pad.

that is interesting. I missed this thread. so it looks like the rrc2 doesn't like to coexist with trackers. good to know.

At least not in close proximity to the charge leads or the altimeter. Keep it away from the leads and at least 6" from the altimeter and it should be ok - at least it's been ok for me.

On a different note, I still haven't tried change the radios on my GPS trackers with the new xctu program. Maybe I'll do it this coming weekend.

Derek (or anyone with antenna knowledge)
I have a 2" antenna and a 7 1/2" antenna. What kind of range increase should I expect going with the bigger one?
Also, if the 7 1/2" inch installed with a whip extension (see pic), can I have the antenna run along "side" of the GPS with out issues? (I still don't understand where that grounding "plane" is)
antenna.jpg

You'll need to compare the gain of the two antennas to get an idea if range will change. However with all those extra connections and short length of wire, you may end up with less gain than the shorter, directly connected antenna.

the placement of the larger antenna next to the gps antenna should be fine.

the ground plane is exactly that - the plane is a surface perpendicular to the antenna tied to ground, or our case the negative terminal of the battery. I quickly looked to mind a nice diagram online, but failed. sorry.

How would I go about comparing the gain?
I found a diagram. Is the ground plane everything perpendicular to the entire PCB board? (Z direction in the diagram)
would make sense why you don't want to fold a wire antenna back across the PCB board.

groundplane.png

the gain will be specified in the antenna's data sheet. it may just have a single number (i.e. 3.5 dbi) but since the gain is highly dependent on the radiation direction there should be a few diagrams with patterns that look like the infinity sign with the antenna in the center. you can find the gain for a given angle on those.

in your diagram, the ground plane is parallel to the board (the yellow line going left to right). it even says so in the diagram. folding the antenna along the board will block radiation in that direction which is why we recommend not to. Ideally the antenna would be point up in the z direction. in your picture, while the bigger antenna isn't ideal, the antenna isn't directly over the ground plane so it won't block the signal. you might get a slight obstruction if the rx is off to the right, but it would be minimal.

Derek,

I've been meaning to respond here for awhile - but one thing and another... however, I've used the time to put together a checklist of items I wanted to cover, so the delay isn't exactly wasted.

It has been brought to my attention that the ebay seller who sold the UP501 gps module is currently out of stock. I don't know if this is a temporary issue or not.

<snip>

If you find any other vendors selling the UP501, please share here.

Thanks!

Item 1)
As to the lost availability on the 501, it went away on 28 April - as I was watching this listing practically every day - watching the quantities and figured once they got below 500, I'd go ahead and jump in -- then, the next morning, "Listed ended". Caused a slight panic, but I searched around and found this other listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-perfo...GPS-Antenna-Module-For-Arduino-/151289895145?

... and jumped in that morning (4/28) and bought the two you see listed as 'sold'. I'm actually rather incredulous that they have'nt sold a single one since then (well, I'm getting both available and no longer available, depending on two different links) - except that this listing doesn't show up in a search (don't ask me how I found it - too long ago), so maybe no one knows about it. At any rate, there still seems to be a little availability (at the $22 price). Arrived something like 10 days after ordering. Maybe the link will work for those interested.

Item 2) - testing for shorts:
I think common sense could probably help here and, while I'm moderately capable in electronics assembly, I might would respectfully ask for a few pointers on this - just to make sure I wouldn't leave some 'bomb' ready to go off once I install the major components. I assume metering the connection points for the major components (Vcc, etc) to verify correct voltages would be smart - and checking the LEDs etc (as you've already noted). Mainly, just a pointer or two on things to NEVER let happen in the passive component assembly might allay some of the fears.

Item 3) - Breadboarding the GPS unit:
I've got a few breadboards and have picked up a USB-to-UART module or two - one based on the FTDI chip:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Bluet...ter-Compatible-Xbee-for-Arduino-/141303235098

... and another based on the CP2102 chip:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=141238861134

(this board has both 3.3v and 5v outputs whereas the FTDI board is just 5v (not useful unless I put a voltage regulator/limiter in-line with it, I understand))

Having never really ventured into this 'part of the woods', I was thinking of rigging them up and grabbing the GPS workbench and simply tinkering with it thru my laptop a little before mounting on the boards. Do you see any problems with this? Any cautions about those boards (or those chips) (other than making sure we're on 3.3v for the supplies)?

I was also thinking of doing the same thing with the Bluetooth board, but we'll get to that another day.

Item 4) - Mounting the active components:
I'm really leaning towards mounting the active components (on the transmitter, at least) on sockets rather than soldering directly to the PCB. There may not be any real advantages to it, but I'm trying to think ahead to a time (hopefully never to arrive) when I might have to salvage things in the aftermath of a crash. I'm aware that the RX is rather tight, spacewise, and probably can't accommodate socketed mounting, but the TX isn't so constrained (my initial plans are for a 3" vehicle, so we've got space to spare). Thoughts? Also, is it possible to do this on the RX? (low profile sockets - I've seen some, but don't know how low)?

This for the XBEE (Digi's recommended model):
https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=153931614&uq=635420112306685323

... and this for the GPS:
https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=153931604&uq=635420112306841333

... which mates to...

https://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=153931605&uq=635420112306685323

I am aware that the two 'feet' on the GPS are meant to solder down to the PCB to better anchor the unit -- but figure I might could fab some 'standoffs' out of brass rod (on my little lathe) to act as spacers (silver solder (higher temp) to the PCB such that it wouldn't come loose when soldering (regular solder) the GPS to the standoffs). Not sure, tho, if that higher temp silver solder could lift the pads on the PCB. Should I contact OSHpark on that? (the boards are already in)

Item 5) - XBEE radios:
From what I understand (which may not be much), the 200Kbps radios support the Digi-Mesh protocols and the 10Kbps supports the P2MP (point to multi-point). It would seem (thinking down the road) that the Digi-Mesh would be a decent capability to have - set up some repeaters out at the fringes of the (rocket) range (say, at 4 points on the compass) and this would enhance the range of all devices in use. I can understand getting the increased range with the 10Kbps radios - especially since that data rate would have plenty of headroom for this present application. Is Digi-Mesh a possibility with these "-001" radios? (I just may not fully understand the differences).

Item 6) - offline maps:
Can you (or some of the other readers here) review what is necessary to utilize offline maps. I've been doing a little digging over on Google Earth, but am new to this (it appears this is just maps only - satellite imagery isn't available, as I read it - but my knowledge of this is very preliminary).

Item 7) - Hammond case:
Looks like there's 2 sizes of cases for the RX - you're wanting the small one, correct?

Item 8) - Batteries and ground support:
I went a little larger on the batteries - a 950mah for the TX and 750mah for the RX - just thinking increased operating time (mainly for the TX). I was also wondering if some 'GSE' (ground support equipment) to keep the electronics 'topped off' until actual first motion - maybe utilizing something like a mini stereo plug from some larger battery on/under the pad - feeding a 'power bus' throughout the rocket - and pulling the plug upon lift off. Is the assumption of feeding the power in parallel like this a valid one? I was thinking of just soldering two of the JST connectors to the power inputs to the TX - and utilizing one to feed normally from the battery and the other to plug in to the 'power bus'. Is this workable?

Also (which this seems similar), can the RX be charged while also being in use? They make several of the 'power modules' utilizing the 18650 LiIon cells (for your cell phone, etc) that outputs 5v thru a normal USB jack - just a normal USB charging cable to the RX would be all one would need (if this approach would work). May not be necessary, but on a long 'hunt', knowing one could simply plug in this aux power would be nice to know (beforehand).

Item 9) - SMD soldering practice:
As to those needing a little practice (or exposure) to SMD work (me), I found this rather decent little 'practice plate' that is quite economical and gives enough items to practice on that one should be rather expert by the time you get to the actual boards (it's actually about 50c cheaper than when I bought it):

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281134843051

Item 10) - Good deal on LiPo charger:
Stumbling around out there in cyberspace, I found this rather decent deal on a 1S LiPo charger:

https://www.allerc.com/thunder-power-tp103cq-acdc-1s-lipo-quad-4-port-12v-ac-dc-charger-p-5913.html

... a 4 port, AC-DC charger at a clearance price (I verified that Amazon sells these at the higher price). I called them and they explained they are discontinuing the Thunder-Power line - and had 3 of these in stock (2 now, I guess, since that was before I ordered). Shipping from these folks is about $5. The only issue here is that the charging port connector is this 'Ultra-Micro' connector - not the JST-RCY that the standard batteries use (why they can't call these connectors by the Mfr's name, I don't know) - but the bottom line is the *actual* name of the connector is the Molex 'Pico-Blade' (Digi-Key has them). If you are not interested in making your own adapter cables, some are here:

https://www.rc-connectors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=350

... but, for $6 ea, I'd rather buy a crimper and make my own.

==============

That's enough for now - thanks again for this nifty little project, Derek. Haven't even started soldering yet - just gearing up and getting the parts together.

Hope this wasn't too long with too many questions.

-- john.

Last edited:
Hi John,

I'm not sure I understand what questions you are asking in a couple of your points so I'll try to answer the more obvious ones first. I'm glad you were able to locate a couple of gps modules for yourself. The lose of the ebay seller was a bummer.

For shorts, I always install all the little components (both passives and ics) and test for shorts and proper voltage at pins 1 (3.2v) and 10 (ground) on the xbee module. I've found these are the two easiest points to locate. Once I have verified the voltage is correct (3.2v) then I'll install the xbee and gps modules and test again. If you wanted to be extra cautious, you could check for shorts after installing every part. Note you will read some resistance between pins 1 and 10, but it should be greater than 1k ohms. If you are reading something like under 10 ohms, then you have a problem.

Your xbee adapters should be ok. I didn't see a current spec for them, but as long as they can deliver at least 150 ma you should be fine. I did a lot of testing with something like that before I built the rx and they work great.

You can socket the tx xbee. just be sure to secure the module with tape/zip tie/heat shrink/etc. to keep it from popping off. Your link for the gps sockets doesn't work. I'd just install the gps on the board as it is pretty easy to remove (much easier then the xbee). if you want to socket the rx xbee modules, you can buy the taller version of the case. the part number is 1553CBKBAT for a black one or 1553CGYBAT for gray.

The 900hp xbee pro modules support either the digimesh or p2mp firmware so you can change it at anytime.

Offline maps don't work with the rocket track app. That is a limitation of google maps. Sorry.

There quite a few different rx case sizes and variations. The part number in the bom is the one that the board was designed for.

A 950mah tx battery will run for a few hours. How much time do you need? I'd avoid adding any extra connectors into the equation. You can use the rx while it is being charged. In fact, you don't need a battery in the rx at all. it can run off of usb.

Please let me know if I missed any of you questions.

Have fun!

Derek

Derek,

I flew my rocket tracker to 7K+ feet. Everything was working well until the ejection charge went off.
It must have been very violent, because it opened the eyelet for chute connection. (which was connected to the EBay)

Now when I try to connect the tracker, it locates my position on the map, but will not give any GPS coordinates. (it even "follows" me on the map)
the GPS coordinates page only says "connected to RX" then nothing after that.
Bluetooth GPS provider app does not show any coordinates and does not show any satellite fixes.

any idea?

Scott

It sounds like either the gps or tx xbee radio is dead. Do the lights on the tx still light up and flash? Is there any obvious damage to the tx?

If the lights come on and flash, I'd suggest trying to connect to the tx xbee radio using the latest x-ctu program. That will tell you if the xbee is ok. Also, check your solder joints again. It is possible you had a cold solder joint and the extreme ejection charge opened it up.

Derek

My problems with damaged components has been more insidious. I have one Tx unit that flat spin fell in a nose cone from 3,500' that still seems to work. The lights blink, but compared to my other units, it takes much longer to GPS lock and the RF range is extremely short. At one point the regulator failed and had to be replaced, so something is amiss; and it is still very flaky. Not sure if the problem is the GPS, XBee, both GPS and XBee or something else. Another unit got the duck antenna connector on the XBee bent when I pushed too hard into a nose cone. That one has less range as well compared to my third Tx. Has anyone else seen variations in range among units? I have verified all Tx are operating at the same transmit settings. I am thinking to try replacing the XBee to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Sounds like the shock may have broken the connection to the GPS' antenna.

I'm not convinced that is the failure. I have a tx with a broken gps antenna and it still sends the strings but never gets a lock. From reading the description of the problem, it seems to me that the rx isn't receiving any data. That indicates to me that either the gps or tx xbee is completely dead.

But either way, if the gps is dead or the antenna is broken it still requires a replacement. We need more data to pinpoint the failure.

Back