wildman mini wildchild build questions, new w wildman kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genzod

Reaction score
just got my first fiberglass kit, i had a couple questions, first if using rail buttons,do i use regular screw in to cr kind ? if not you can use launch lugs,what kind of launch lug material and where can i find them ,lastly when putting mmt tube into air frame,do i use the style of putting epoxy in airframe for first cr, stick the mount in half way then put a circle of it low for second cr ? thanks and sorry for the newb questions,any other tips for this kit would be great,using an aeropak retainer too

Yes

Brass tube from a hardware store

Yes

Put the retainer on first to measure out where to put the rest of the rings.

if using brass tubing you want 5/16", and you want to scratch up the underside with 60-80 grit sandpaper(you'll be wanting that sandpaper to scratch up the epoxy areas on the FG too).
rex

brass tube ,yes good idea ,have them on my public missle kit

rex,directions on his site say 1/4 for ll, should i use that or 5/16

the instructions call for lugs for 1/4" rods...trust me 5/16(they measure outside dia.) k & s brass tube is what you want, anything smaller and it will likely bind up on the rod-not good.
rex

hey rex or peeps, the nose cone is hollow on this kit,im wondering how stable this will be w out nose weight,only plan on flying maybe a 2 grain g 80, wonder if ill need weight in nose, how would i do that its light weight fiber glass that is hoolow ? also when sanding the fiberglass for epoxy use,how sanded does the areas need to be,sorry for the questions,my first fiberglass build , thanks

hey rex or peeps, the nose cone is hollow on this kit,im wondering how stable this will be w out nose weight,only plan on flying maybe a 2 grain g 80, wonder if ill need weight in nose, how would i do that its light weight fiber glass that is hoolow ? also when sanding the fiberglass for epoxy use,how sanded does the areas need to be,sorry for the questions,my first fiberglass build , thanks

No nose weight required!

Give it a solid rough up with 60 or 80 grit. I use my dremel with a sanding drum and give the fiberglass some terrain to it. I know some others use cutting wheels to make notches. The more surface area you can create for your epoxy to bond to the stronger it will be.

i have a dremel, which attachment ? pic, can i use that on all the areas i need to epoxy ? also still use 60-80 grit too ? want to do it right,lol

Anything to rough it up - sanding disk, drum, cutoff wheel, anything really. I score them with a cutoff wheel, then hand sand them with 50 grit. I don't know if scoring them helps, but I like to think it does.
PIC_3312.jpg

you might want to consider foaming it. super simple to build it that way and almost no epoxy needed.

hey couple more quickies, it says epoxy on aero pak retainer ? am i using the normal jb weld or epoxy ? aeropack directions still say jb weld, also it says for top cr only epoxy on top side,im guessing because of the fins fitting,i think i could squeze a fillet on bottom of top ring, is this necasary / thanks

For the retainer, use regular JB Weld.

By the way, I'm having a little difficulty following your question(s) due to the run-on sentence.

Greg

ok ,going well,one issue, the aero pack retainer is definitely not a snug fit at all,pretty losse actually,use a good amount of jb weld ? or is there another answer

Yep, that's the way mine was too. Just gives more room for JB Weld. Slather it on thick and it will be OK. Wipe off any excess carefully. You don't want to get any glue on the threads or inside the tube. I used a good sized bead on the outside of the tube, then a thin smear inside the retainer. You'll be OK. Almost there.........

Adrian

Back