Babylon 5- fasten than zip or zip than fasten

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
Hearing about Jonathan Winters made me think of this. Jonathan would think of this. I spent an afternoon with Micheal O'Hare and Richard Biggs playing pinball. The next year I did the same thing with Jason and Richard. I miss that show and Richard. R.I.P. Richard, Michael and Jonathan, all gentlemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTZ4hkFDRmE

If you go to Za'Ha'Dum you will die. I too miss the show. I should break out the disks and show my 10 year son...I think he is finally old enough to appreciate it.

If you go to Za'Ha'Dum you will die. I too miss the show. I should break out the disks and show my 10 year son...I think he is finally old enough to appreciate it.

My 9 y.o. son has started watching Dr. Who with me, voluntarily. Not the new ones- Patrick Troughton era. B-5 would be perfect for him. I'm gonna have to see if I can still get the disks through netflix.

And I'm still looking for a way to show him the unmodified, original Star Wars. You can't get them on dvd anymore, and I don't want to mess with pseudo legal online sources.

I'd love to remember how this thead lead me to this video...

[video=youtube;c034jVT8bHA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c034jVT8bHA[/video]

A scene in "War Without End", from the middle of the magical season 3:

Babylon-5-3x17-War-Without-End-Sinclair-departs.jpg

The last minute or so of that episode..... OMG, OMG, OMG. Didn't see anything as powerful with such impact until the last minute or so of Doctor Who's "A Good Man Goes to War", where something important is revealed about River Song.

And in both cases, years of setting the foundation for that payoff. Note I'm being careful not to give away spoilers, but those who have not seen it but may eventually, may not want to read the next paragraphs as there are some clues and one distinctive event that occurred later.

Although, if Michael O'Hare had not left the show after season 1 (JMS revealed after his death that O'Hare had psychological health issues, until then it was thought for years that the studio forced him out), and had stayed on thru the series, the last episode of Babylon-5 might have been very different. Pretty much, the basic ending shown in War Without End would have been the end of the show, after B-5 had been destroyed, which would have been even more mind-blowing if it had played out that way.

One thing that supports that is how the Centauri seer's vision (her visions always came true) of B-5 being destroyed, ends up in the last episode as a very weak excuse of destroying an empty decomissioned B-5 on purpose so as "not to be a danger to ship navigation" (yeah, blow up a 5 mile long space station in a predictable orbit, to create a few million pieces of space junk to create a doughnut-shaped debris cloud around Epsilon-3, a ship navigation nightmare). JMS would not have planted such a powerful impending seed of destruction so early, only to have such a wimpy almost totally unimportant and frankly stupid result at the end (but he was obligated to show B-5 being destroyed to prove the vision as being true). There had to have been something way better that he had intended.

Below, a 1:45 clip from "Severed Dreams". Awesome scene with the line : "If you value your lives, be somewhere else"

- George Gassaway

[video=youtube;UYloWBP79ro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYloWBP79ro[/video]

Last edited:
I've never seen Babylon 5. Is it something I should see? I liked Farscape, most versions of Star Trek, and I'm a huge Dr Who fan... So is this worth the time?
Also, any of you got an opinion on Red Dwarf?

Adrian

B5 is likely where Paramount got the idea for DS-9. "Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski indicated that Paramount Televisionwas aware of his concept as early as 1989,[88] when he attempted to sell the show to the studio, and provided them with the series bible, pilot script, artwork, lengthy character background histories, and plot synopses for 22 "or so planned episodes taken from the overall course of the planned series".[89][90]".

It is very well done, and definitely worth watching.

Last edited:
It had a 5-year-arc storyline that built upon itself *. It was sort of slow in season 1, but by the end of season 1 things began to pick up. Then things began paying off in following seasons. Stuff that rarely or never happens in other shows since most are not arc-based, and even those that are arc-based only look ahead one season at a time. This show, the creator of it knew what the last episode for the end of season 5 (final season) was going to be before he shot the pilot movie, and most of the stories in between, he spent 7 years outlining it IIRC.

An exception that comes to mind was Doctor Who with River Song in "Silence in the Library". Steven Moffat knew what HE had in mind for her character years down the road, with a different Doctor and all.

Anyway, B-5 is in many ways the best sci-fi show ever. I will never understand surveys that claim Firefly was one of the best ever. It was nice, but B-5 blew it away. And I say this as a big Star Trek Fan, but no episode of Star Trek grabbed me as much as several of the B-5 episodes did.

Part of it BTW was not as much the sci-fi part but the character development. Things evolved you would never have expected. And a number of "character actors" who played a lot of the regulars gave incredible performances, just superb. A lot of stories that got to you on a more personal level than most sci-fi ever does. Including the "humanity" of some of the aliens, and inhumanity of some of the humans. And, again, character development. If you ever get into it, you will understand what I mean by that.

- George Gassaway

* - When it seemed like Season 4 might be the last, renewal for a 5th season uncertain, the planned storylines for season 4 and 5 were condensed together for season 4, which made that even more nuts (in a good way). Turned out that it did get a 5th season, which was weakened in part due to using up a lot of the long-planned season 5 storylines in season 4. But by the middle of the 5th season they hit their stride again and went out on a good note (interestingly, the final episode shown at the end of Season 5, was shot for the end of Season 4, in case it had been cancelled at the end of season 4. It worked due to it being set as a years later wrap-up that would work with either the end of season 4 or whatever happened in Season 5)

One thing that supports that is how the Centauri seer's vision (her visions always came true) of B-5 being destroyed, ends up in the last episode as a very weak excuse of destroying an empty decomissioned B-5 on purpose so as "not to be a danger to ship navigation" (yeah, blow up a 5 mile long space station in a predictable orbit, to create a few million pieces of space junk to create a doughnut-shaped debris cloud around Epsilon-3, a ship navigation nightmare).
I always took that as being another part of the then current Earth government's campaign against the legend of Babylon 5, tying in with "Deconstruction of Falling Stars", particularly the TV show where they're trying to play down Sheridan's role. A very old Delenn then appears to say that Sheridan was a good man, someone says "You came all this way just to say that?" and she replies "You came just as far to say less". So this was basically the government playing down Babylon 5, it was never all that important anyway so now we're getting rid of it for the most trivial reason we can think of.

And now I'm going to make you green with envy.

babylon0_5.jpg ef2.jpg

On the left, a rocket signed by, among others, Michael O'Hare, Jerry Doyle, Walter Koenig and Claudia Christian. On the right, a rocket signed by most of the rest of the cast that didn't sign the first one.

The first one was signed by various actors whom I met at specific events hosted by a fan club, or at book signings. The second was when I went to a big convention in 1997, where most of the cast was present, as was JMS (he signed it too). It was known that JMS was a fan of Blake's 7, which is why Gareth Thomas was there, and his autograph is on the rocket as well.

Yes, both rockets have flown. I've still got them both. :D

I was shopping at Wal Mart one day and found all five seasons of “B5” at $5.00 each. That’s right I picked up the entire series for $25.00 plus tax.

For a whole host of reasons I didn’t get to watch much of the show when it actually aired so I was thrilled to get the chance.

JMS mentions in some of the episode commentaries and additional “Babblings” just how long he fought to get the show on the air, but I do have to wonder just how good the show would have been had he succeeded back in the early ‘80s since the technology of CGI was pretty primitive back then.

He also mentions that “B5” had a yearly special effects budget that wouldn’t do justice to a single episode of “STTNG” or “DS9” nonetheless “B5” was in some respects a superior show to either of those “Star Trek” franchises.

He also tells how each character had a “Trap Door” back-story that would allow for them to depart the show without screwing up the shows overall story arch.

FWIW: I have the first season of B5 on DVD. One evening a few years ago my {now ex-}wife and I were eating dinner together, and watching the episode BABYLON SQUARED. Although she knew about the show, she did not watch it the way I did when it was first broadcast.

When we got to the end of that ep, and you finally see the identity of the person wearing the "blue spacesuit", well, even SHE was STUNNED....

Last edited:
And now I'm going to make you green with envy.

View attachment 265029 View attachment 265030

On the left, a rocket signed by, among others, Michael O'Hare, Jerry Doyle, Walter Koenig and Claudia Christian. On the right, a rocket signed by most of the rest of the cast that didn't sign the first one.

The first one was signed by various actors whom I met at specific events hosted by a fan club, or at book signings. The second was when I went to a big convention in 1997, where most of the cast was present, as was JMS (he signed it too). It was known that JMS was a fan of Blake's 7, which is why Gareth Thomas was there, and his autograph is on the rocket as well.

Yes, both rockets have flown. I've still got them both. :D

I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

:surprised:

I've never seen Babylon 5. Is it something I should see? I liked Farscape, most versions of Star Trek, and I'm a huge Dr Who fan... So is this worth the time?
Also, any of you got an opinion on Red Dwarf?

Adrian

Babylon 5 is one of the greatest achievements in science fiction. The first season was a little bumpy at points, but man, the payoff is so worth it.

[video=youtube;1j-76eLz1hc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j-76eLz1hc[/video]

I met Michael O'Hare at 'Big E Con' many years ago. His mother came over and chewed us out for smoking, then chewed me out for giving him the smoke.

Hearing about Jonathan Winters made me think of this. Jonathan would think of this. I spent an afternoon with Micheal O'Hare and Richard Biggs playing pinball. The next year I did the same thing with Jason and Richard. I miss that show and Richard. R.I.P. Richard, Michael and Jonathan, all gentlemen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTZ4hkFDRmE

Dan,
You just wasted an hour and a half of my time...

FWIW, here's a panel at the 2013 Phoenix Comicon. It was a B-5 20th anniversary re-union of just about all the surviving actors except for Bruce Boxleitner (he was going to be there but filming for a TV show came up). JMS is also on the panel. Lots of fun stuff. But not to be seen unless you already saw the show, way too many spoilers.

[video=youtube;0w2pK_uBpXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2pK_uBpXQ[/video]

I heard a statistic a few years ago that students in the USA scored 13th in mathmatics, compared to other students worldwide.

What's wrong with THAT? At least WE'RE IN THE TOP TEN!!!

:facepalm:

:lol:

I read somewhere that seven out of five students don’t understand statistics along with the fact that 86.375% of all statistics are made up.

Back