What is your opinion on this Avro Lancaster?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your opinion on this Avro Lancaster?

• It is just a Baby Bertha with some mods, an 8 motor park flyer for the kids.

• It just looks too funny to be a flyable model rocket.

• Given that all motors light with no wind it just might work.

• Flying this one is a bit too dodgy!

• Take her out to the high power pads and press the button!

• The Crazy Train has just left the station and Daddy is riding!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
HA! it is true though, the damned Allied bombing campaign has taken its toll...your efforts have allowed skilled Reich airman like Hauptmann Kitty to continue their efforts against the allied devils...

Thanks. Popsicle sticks and epoxy do wonders to reattach the front end of these rockets where added weight and strength is actually a plus. You might take some comfort in the fact that the bits of body tube salvaged from the mid-section of the AR 234 were used to repair the DO 217. Any bit of scrap is valuable to the Luftwaffe in these late stages of the war.

HA! it is true though, the damned Allied bombing campaign has taken its toll...your efforts have allowed skilled Reich airman like Hauptmann Kitty to continue their efforts against the allied devils...

If the high command (OKW) keeps blaming the fighter pilots for the bombing then Hauptman Kitty might lead the Fighter Pilots Conspiracy, getting him in trouble with the fat man, a chicken farmer and maybe even that wall paper hanger! He might even have to test fly a ME 262 using two Blue Thunder motors lit with copperheads!

a ME 262 sounds pretty sweet!! is that your next build?

If the high command (OKW) keeps blaming the fighter pilots for the bombing then Hauptman Kitty might lead the Fighter Pilots Conspiracy, getting him in trouble with the fat man, a chicken farmer and maybe even that wall paper hanger! He might even have to test fly a ME 262 using two Blue Thunder motors lit with copperheads!

Here are some snapshots of professional snapshots of eight motor Lanc flying at NSL. Hopefully you can see that all the motors did light and the clip whip falling away. The Photos are by Nadine Kinney 2013. You can see by the smoke trail it was not calm and just a slight breeze made it go airplane real quick after motor burn out, but at least it flew like a rocket should while it had power. The canted C's provided some stabilizing flame fin action out of the top and belly of this little beastie.

P6260254.jpgP6260255.jpg

These are awesome pics Daddy.....and I am sure that the Luftwaffe is cursing the return of the Lancaster to the skies!

Here are some snapshots of professional snapshots of eight motor Lanc flying at NSL. Hopefully you can see that all the motors did light and the clip whip falling away. The Photos are by Nadine Kinney 2013. You can see by the smoke trail it was not calm and just a slight breeze made it go airplane real quick after motor burn out, but at least it flew like a rocket should while it had power. The canted C's provided some stabilizing flame fin action out of the top and belly of this little beastie.

View attachment 136092View attachment 136093

Thanks! They are all motored up with no place to fly because of the burn bans:(

Tell me about it Daddy - Since we got back from NSL I am starting to go through withdrawls.. I Need to launch that DFR Delta IV!!!. I will post pics soon.

Tell me about it Daddy - Since we got back from NSL I am starting to go through withdrawls.. I Need to launch that DFR Delta IV!!!. I will post pics soon.

Looking forward to that big Delta going up. There will be lots of black powder motors going off all at once. Hopefully it will be before Chilli Baster at the end of the month!

Looking forward to that big Delta going up. There will be lots of black powder motors going off all at once. Hopefully it will be before Chilli Baster at the end of the month!

OH Rats! I forgot about that event... I am supposed to work that weekend :( I will have to see if I can switch with someone and try to go..Is there a ban on down there?

The Lancaster had its forth flight at NARAM last week and thanks to Scott Pennington for the video. Three chutes deployed and the kevlar I thought could last another flight burned away on one. It was slow enough on three chutes to avoid major damage as it landed in a cactus. Both rudders popped off, easy fix, and the nose tube sperated just behind the forward cant. I had to completely reglue it, but it is fine, leaving just another nasty battle scar. Also a big thanks to George Shaffer for the use of his new cluster box. It was the first time it was used on a real rocket and it worked flawlessly. All eight motors lit in a slight breeze. The up part is good, the down part not so good, darn lack of recovery room. The next one will have to have a bigger chute ejecting from the bomb bay off the rear canted motors.

[video=youtube;EaVkGgi6FT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaVkGgi6FT0[/video]

Dave.. what a great plane.. a great build.. and a great rocket. Thanks for sharing, very inspirational.

Thanks. Hopefully it will inspire more craziness like a B-17. You inspired me to get them off the shelf for a dusting! One of the Merlin nose cones is still lost on the NARAM flying field, so I stuck on a DO 217N replacement because one of its lost nose cones was found.

Warbird 2.jpg

Please elaborate on the reasoning for canted engines.. I'm assuming that addresses stability issues?

More tractor motor power! Thrust in thrust! Weight up front helps CG, and canted motors are hidden in fuselage so they look good and do not too badly burn up the rest of the rocket trailing behind. Keeps a nice portion of the thrust going through the center line of the rocket to offset asymmetric drag or possible minor asymmetric thrust from the out boards. More motors as forward as possible helps to "spread out the sin" in thrust variances, and the canted ones can help out by providing what I call "flame fin action at 90 degrees from the wing plain." Please note that all of this has been aptly termed by my colleges as "Pseudo Rocket Science" and mere "Necromancy." Coupled with Voodoo of Mindsim it can be seen as moving one towards the Dark Side, creating oddrocs that can be considered unnatural, things you would not learn from the Jedi. Sometimes you have to dwell outside the box or just throw the darn box away. As long as you follow the basic rules you will be fine as long as all of your motors light roughly at the same time. The going up part is easier than the coming down portion. Canted tractor motors and out board motors do not automatically make it a bad design, but that can be debated. It is all about having fun and enjoying the nice long walks out to the Far Far Away pads where you can see top men hooking up the big motors.

Check out the Chesapeake Sea Monster over at the Rocket Dungeon, a real EKRANOPLAN! Eleven motor clustered FUN! Eight outboard tractor and three mid cant. It did not skim the Sea, it skimmed the Sky!
https://rocketdungeon.blogspot.com/2016/07/launch-report-2016-7-mdra.html
https://rocketdungeon.blogspot.com/search/label/My Projects: Ekranoplan!

And some more information here:https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...mer-Build-Off-quot-Jack-in-the-Box-quot/page4

Back