RockSim9 - Transition Templates?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcotcher

Reaction score
I'm having some difficulties getting the transition templates to work in rocksim9 - but it may just be rookie mistakes.

When I try to print the templates, since the ones that I'm trying to build are large (one is a 9.75" long ST18 - ST11 size) - the transition template prints across a couple of pages.

Are there any controls to view the template and arrange it prior to printing? So far the only way I've found to get to that feature is through

File > Print > Parts List > Templates - but there's no controls beyond that, nor is there a "designer" tool where you can just work on the templates, just adding them as part of building a rocket.

What am I missing?

The next problem I'm having is that when I print at least one of the templates, it will only generate a side profile of the part, as if it were already assembled and part of the rocket, not the template of itself. The other templates print fine, and via the same method.

Is this just a bug, because I'm trying to do larger transitions, or again, what am I missing?

Couple more questions: Since I am building these templates using the upper and lower diameters and the length, I'm not overtly plugging in the angle of the transition. Is there a way to back into this value? I haven't found that in the controls yet - and it's pretty important as I have a couple of sets of fins that are dependent on the transition angles since they mount to the transitions.

Also what format is the SVG that is the export for the templates? I'd like to be able to export these for CAD purposes so that my local shop can laser cut the patterns for me - and not have to re-do the CAD work, upping my expense.

Any help on this front appreciated.

Last edited:
Do you own Adobe Acrobat? If so, then you can choose a custom page size that would be large enough to fit your entire template on one page, then create a PDF document of it. Then, use the printing options in Acrobat to control the placement of your template on multiple pages that your printer supports. The idea is to get the template out of Rocksim into a program with more robust printer support.

"The next problem I'm having is that when I print at least one of the templates, it will only generate a side profile of the part, as if it were already assembled and part of the rocket, not the template of itself. The other templates print fine, and via the same method."

I was having the same problem. You have to set your transition properties to hollow not solid, and clear all shoulder values to 0.

Last edited:
Back