Newb question-sorry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
I had to shorten up my D-Region Tomahawk a while back after a motor failure- took approx 3.5 inches out of the body tube. My issue is I'm having trouble refiguring the correct CP/CG , I honestly dont have the time right now to play with open rocket and somehow always seem to struggle with it on my PC . Anyone willing to help ?

Andy

Last edited:
I am going to bet that as long as you did not go crazy on the fins, you will be fine. If in doubt, put some BB's or clay in the nosecone and all will be fine.

I am going to bet that as long as you did not go crazy on the fins, you will be fine. If in doubt, put some BB's or clay in the nosecone and all will be fine.

All the damage was in the upper end of the tube Mason-see my avatar pic-lol.
I couldnt get the burnt shock cord out of the body tube and adding another wasnt an option.
Granted it was really windy and I motored down/and had the cam on it- since the repair, but it was an out of shape flight. I will fly it again with more motor and no cam and see, thanks.

My response is based on this Rocksim file: https://www.rocketreviews.com/unknown-estes-tomahawk-kit-1944.html

It appears that this rocket originally was very stable at approximately 6.29 calibers of stability with a CG at 20.938" from the tip and a CP at 31.237" from the tip.

If I take 3.5" from the body tube the CG moves to 19.428" from the tip and the CP moves to 28.494" from the tip, which means it is still very stable at 5.54 calibers of stability.

It appears that you don't have to worry about adding weight in the nose cone and that you can just go out and launch that bad boy. (I hope that you have better results than that last launch...)

Enjoy!

Cor

My response is based on this Rocksim file: https://www.rocketreviews.com/unknown-estes-tomahawk-kit-1944.html

It appears that this rocket originally was very stable at approximately 6.29 calibers of stability with a CG at 20.938" from the tip and a CP at 31.237" from the tip.

If I take 3.5" from the body tube the CG moves to 19.428" from the tip and the CP moves to 28.494" from the tip, which means it is still very stable at 5.54 calibers of stability.

It appears that you don't have to worry about adding weight in the nose cone and that you can just go out and launch that bad boy. (I hope that you have better results than that last launch...)

Enjoy!

Cor

Thank you VERY much.

Andy

Never apologize for asking a question here! We love to bring new people in and share our knowledge. Yeah, things like "Whut colour do I paint my rocket?" may be a PITA, but you WILL get an answer. I'm into orange and purple now for a bit, myself..... Welcome to TRF!

Back