New central coast of California launch site.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sos44

Reaction score
Hello forum, my name is Scott Stanley, and I represent the Central Coast Classic Model Rocket Club.

We launch out of O'Sullivan Field north of San Luis Obispo, CA. It is an active (but rarerly used) heliport landing site for Camp San Luis Obispo. It's commander is Maj. Jim Breedlove, and he is a man who enjoys a good rocket!

I am a fully insured member of the NAR, and we adhere to all safety protocalls. We fly anything up to G engines, on a monthly/ bi- monthly basis.

We are looking for fliers who might like to join us. Kids and pets are welcome, as long as they are well trained.

Our next flight should be in May. Please let me know if anyone is interested in coming.

Last edited:
Hello forum, my name is Scott Stanley, and I represent the Central Coast Classic Model Rocket Club.

We launch out of O'Sullivan Field north of San Luis Obispo, CA. It is an active (but rarerly used) heliport landing site for Camp San Luis Obispo. It's commander is Maj. Jim Breedlove, and he is a man who enjoys a good rocket!

I am a fully insured member of the NAR, and we adhere to all safety protocalls. We fly anything up to G engines, on a monthly/ bi- monthly basis.

We are looking for fliers who might like to join us. Kids and pets are welcome, as long as they are well trained.

Our next flight should be in early May. Please let me know if anyone is interested in coming.

What's you waiver altitude?

Not to far from me.

What's you waiver altitude?

Not to far from me.

No waiver, just limited to a single G motor. I joined them for the first time on Apr 6 and had a good time. Bring your own launch system if you have one or you can use mine if you use rods. Hopefully we can get some Cal Poly students to come out.

They are working on the next date!.

I'm new to this forum so it may take me a while to get up on the lingo.

We have pushed the next launch back to May 11th, but still need to get comformation from the powers that be. I will keep everyone updated.

Scott
NAR-93737

Sorry, how high has the FAA cleared you to fly? What does your recovery area look like?

You've already launched there it sounds like so the waiver question isn't invalid. Anything in California over 1000ft (source?) needs a waiver. They need to clear the airspace of air traffic.

Sounds fun. I know a few of the Cal Poly guys and will let them know, I don't know if they do any small rockets though, their USLI rocket is K and L, but that doesn't mean they can't fly small stuff for fun.

California sux to fly in so I give you all involved a cheers for trying to make it work. Good luck!

Hey everyone! Im also part of the CCCMRC. If youd like to see the launch site we use search this out on google maps.

Camp San Luis Obispo Airfield
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405

Ok. So a few dumb issues in my statement I admit.

At what altitude do you need to let the FAA know about what you are doing? I used the pronoun "they" which incorrectly referred California, and not the unmentioned FAA.

Sorry for my spat of bad info, I meant well.

I found this website with some info regarding rocketry and the FAA
https://www.flyrockets.com/regulations.asp

Good link, assuming everything on there is true, then nothing is needed for 1pound or less, with 4.4 ounces or less propellant.

"Rockets weighing less than one pound and flying on less than 4 ounces of propellant, FAR 101 rockets, do not require notification of the FAA. Large Model Rockets, weighing between 1 and 3.3 lbs and flying on not more than 4.4 ounces of propellant, while not requiring a waiver from the FAA, require a phone call to the nearest FAA tower or airport for notification of the planned activity. Model Rockets are also considered toys by the federal government and as such must meet Consumer Product Safety Commissions safety requirements."

Since the only time I hear about the FAA is when we have to open the High Altitude waiver at ROC, I assumed that it was an altitude thing, not just a rocket size and motor weight issue. (You know what they say to those who assume)

Current FAR 101 is less than 3.3 pounds and less than 125 grams motor propellant. No altitude limit involved.

Dont worry about it folks. This club has been launching here for a year so they have it covered. Also, like we said, it is on a Natl Guard base, so the commanding officer is well aware of all the rules. The recovery area is mostly farm fields along with a huge paved parking area and heli-pad. So come on out on our next launch and enjoy yourselves!

Since the only time I hear about the FAA is when we have to open the High Altitude waiver at ROC, I assumed that it was an altitude thing, not just a rocket size and motor weight issue. (You know what they say to those who assume)

BTW ROC does have a FAA waiver up to I believe 8000 AGL but anything over that requires the call-in for a high altitude window.

We could do 12k here you would just need to spread it out over about 15 separate launches ! :)

Hey, Scott Stanley here, you guys are making way too much out of this! No waivers, no FAA clearence, nothing but a local space to fly rockets up to a G engine. I wasn't expecting to attract people from around the country, I just wanted to invite other local fliers to our events. We have no intention of becoming a NAR section, or any other affiliation. We just have a space on the central coast of California where launching rockets isn't a crime. A rare thing, these days.

At what altitude do you need to let the FAA know about what you are doing?

You're working on your L3. You passed your L2 written exam (looks like one each for TRA and NAR). This was on the test.

Ari.

Got the word today that we are cleared for a May 18th launch. Maj. Breedlove (our generous host) has also asked me to remind new fliers that we are a low altitude area, and G engines are the max. Any and everyone is welcome to join us, as long as you're not looking to fly anything bigger. I look forward to seeing new faces at this launch!

Sos44

Latest posts

Back