Astron Sprint XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I flew mine last weekend using an Estes C6-5 with a 18/24mm motor adapter made from the Estes D/E motor spacer. Very nice flight. Might even give it a try on a B6-2 at the next launch.

John

This rocket really goes like heck.

I flew mine on a C11-5 back in September. Went quite a bit higher than I expected and the 5 second delay was right on the money.

Sim'd to about 2200'...

I had no altimeter installed because I did not trust the old Ellis E12-10 (its got to be 5 or 6 years old) to work. Period. And the day had cost me an Estes Altimeter already! :yawn::y::facepalm:

It went straight!!!!
E12-Sprint-XL.jpg

I had several other flights that day with Altimeters. And a TARC team nearby, and an SLI team...
Ok... Maybe I did not get all of that 2200'.... however IMO I got MOST of it!!:lol:

I trekked 1/2mile down the desert to find it. Great flight!f
IMG_1790.jpg

I love mine....it's one of my favorites in the fleet and a frequent flier...fly it at least once every time I go to a launch. I built mine with a nicer shock cord, 12" nylon chute, and used the Testors spray enamel paint instead of the usual Krylon that everything else gets. Looks like yours, but I did my boattail in flat black. I usually fly on a D12-5, but I'm going to start playing with 24/40 and 24/60 RMS kits. Last time I flew on a D12, the JLA-3 recorded 882'.....

IMG_1363.JPG

Looking forward to building this...several times, as a matter of fact, I picked up a bunch before the holiday during the Estes sale, when it seemed like they were almost giving them away.

I'm starting on mine this weekend while at work, making sure to check the threads for any mods to consider before I get too far along. I brought with me my Kevlar cord and 1/8" elastic to replace the Estes shock cord... Something I've been doing lately on all of my Estes builds. :wink:

not a build tip but...if you want to fly it more than once, stick with C11/D12 motors.
Rex

the original was designed as an altitude competition model (Estes said 1700' on a C6-7), it doesn't take much to push the XL version over 2k. figured you might want to know that before you launched yours.:)
Rex

Luckily I've got a large field I can fly from - a closed landfill that is also home to our R/C flying field - so I've got plenty of room for recovery.

I added a Semroc baffle and kevlar cord to mine. Works well with no need for wadding.

the original was designed as an altitude competition model (Estes said 1700' on a C6-7), it doesn't take much to push the XL version over 2k. figured you might want to know that before you launched yours.:)
Rex
Are you suggesting my F15 flight was ill-advised? :eek:

only ill advised if you were not planning to have it drift away :), the original used a streamer for recovery. Tango: becarefull when installing the motor mount, the placement of the engine hook can goof up the tailcone.
Rex

I flew mine on an Ellis E12 maybe 2 months ago in the desert. Estimate was 2200. Landed about 1/2 mile away. The report is above.

It does not go that high. 2k or 2500 on decent E. an F? Depends. Most 24mm Fs are no where near a full 80ns

Last edited:
Did y'all use the two squares of clay in the NC, or just one, or none at all?

if you want to fly it on anything other than a D12...use both pats of clay.
Rex

Just finished mine and looking forward to flying it...someday...lol

tried a C11-5 (and 12" chute) in mine last weekend, nice flight.
Rex

I think I should add an adapter to mine (real and sims), and see what results I can get. I've got a pair of smaller B motors here in China (and an extra nosecone)... hmmm...

Mine flies very well on BP Cs and D's - if I had a bigger launch area it'd be time for some composite Fs for sure!

A D13W is a great motor for the XL. JL2 showed 1115 feet. A 7 second delay is a little long. Next time I will drill to 5 seconds.

Back