Fin alignment jig?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many, in many different styles. Check out Apogee. Also do a search for the Guillotine jig and some recent offerings by ?? Qualman or something like that in the vendors forum.

I mostly use guides I built myself. See thread in Techniques about "perfect fin gluing guide."

GOOD LUCK.

I hate when I dont get fins on visually perfectly to my standard. Some folks can do it by eye. Not me!

Last edited:
Other than the one from Estes, is there any guide available to help make sure my fins go on straight?
Check out payloadbay.com for their offerings. You can make a template of any size, just put in your measurements, generate your template and print it out. Spray or tape these to flat stock and carefully cut out your body tube dia and the fin thickness. Take your time.You need to make 2 alignment jigs ( I use foamboard) and use them front and rear. Draw a line on your body tube with a piece of angle aluminium (or door jamb-Estes-style) and line things up. I've got a wetsaw I cut a slot in at the apex of angle stock and taped to shim down to small G-10 thicknesses for comp or MD birds that works pretty well but you need to watch it isn't canted and then tape it to the body tube. Fins slide or drop in thru the slot and tacked into place, the angle removed and the fins filleted. Ted Macklin also has a great fin alignment jig (see 'Guillotine Fin Jig' on the web) and he will send you plans to make your own or you can buy a prefabricated unit from Apogee. Tell him Dave sent you. This will do a lot of different body sizes all the way up to 4". Good flights, sir!

Ted Macklin also has a great fin alignment jig (see 'Guillotine Fin Jig' on the web) and he will send you plans to make your own or you can buy a prefabricated unit from Apogee. Tell him Dave sent you. This will do a lot of different body sizes all the way up to 4". Good flights, sir!

Hmmm. Ted's sounds better because I think Apogee's only goes to 3".

I use the Estes jig. Just get a used "T" motor casing to put in the base. They are a nice snug fit, put them in from the bottom. :2:

krusty said:
+1 for Ted's Fin Jig
I agree with that. My brother has one that he bought from Apogee, which he uses for building his larger rockets. It's definitely a great tool for the larger rockets.

Back