X-15 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the whole article. I almost never do that.

I read the whole article. I almost never do that.

I did too and thought it was a great read. I noticed he had the rocket painted by a professional. I'm sure that would be the wise choice unless you knew how to do it or had access to the equipment, but I bet it wasn't cheap. I really enjoyed how well the article was written and the pictures were pretty well organized. What a beautiful job he did on the build...very impressive!

I did too and thought it was a great read. I noticed he had the rocket painted by a professional. I'm sure that would be the wise choice unless you knew how to do it or had access to the equipment, but I bet it wasn't cheap. I really enjoyed how well the article was written and the pictures were pretty well organized. What a beautiful job he did on the build...very impressive!

It is a very impresive rocket and I was able to drool over all over it last year when he brought it out to a launch. He's also done some writing thats worth reading

https://books.google.com/books/about/Modern_High_Power_Rocketry_2.html?id=VR6HyQqgpGYC

Last edited:
The article stated that it was approximately a 1/3rd scale representation; which would make it around an “H-5”. I’m alone with this one aren’t I?

The problem I’d have with building such a rocket, actually the PROBLEMS I’d have with building a rocket such as this would be legion and most likely lead to my being institutionalized for my and societies best interests. . .But I digress.

Now where was I? Oh yea; my problem with this type of rocket is I COULD NEVER BRING MYSELF TO ACTUALLY LAUNCH IT. Not even on my death bed. Which coincidently would be right there on the flight line should such a rocket, that I had built, go Wile E Coyote and turn itself into itty-bitty pieces buried halfway to the center of the Earth or perhaps a cloud of confetti descending down upon my already cooling body.

But what struck me as amusing is that this project seemingly began with “I have this big piece of tubing; now what do I add to it to make it look like an ‘X-15’?”
Sort of a bass acwards take on the old saw. “Take that block of marble and chip away everything that doesn’t look like. . .”

The article stated that it was approximately a 1/3rd scale representation; which would make it around an “H-5”. I’m alone with this one aren’t I?

The problem I’d have with building such a rocket, actually the PROBLEMS I’d have with building a rocket such as this would be legion and most likely lead to my being institutionalized for my and societies best interests. . .But I digress.

Now where was I? Oh yea; my problem with this type of rocket is I COULD NEVER BRING MYSELF TO ACTUALLY LAUNCH IT. Not even on my death bed. Which coincidently would be right there on the flight line should such a rocket, that I had built, go Wile E Coyote and turn itself into itty-bitty pieces buried halfway to the center of the Earth or perhaps a cloud of confetti descending down upon my already cooling body.

But what struck me as amusing is that this project seemingly began with “I have this big piece of tubing; now what do I add to it to make it look like an ‘X-15’?”
Sort of a bass acwards take on the old saw. “Take that block of marble and chip away everything that doesn’t look like. . .”

yep , been there & done that about never launching my X-15. i have a little over 100.00 in it, thought about it a lot but just havent the nerve to do it.

[video=youtube;Z27FtW2DANE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z27FtW2DANE[/video]

yep , been there & done that about never launching my X-15. i have a little over 100.00 in it, thought about it a lot but just havent the nerve to do it.

For me it isn’t so much the money as it is the blood, sweat and tears, not to mention time, that I have put into the design and build.
Okay, that’s just pure BS and you know it. It is in large part about the money. It’s kind of like using a hundred dollar bill to light another hundred dollar bill.

Rocket Man so you converted a plastic model right?. That looks pretty cool...where do you get the model at? I like to try it

its a Special Hobbies 1/32 scale kit. i found mine on ebay cause Special Hobbies is some low production model maker. ; long story short. look on ebay.

I thought it was a nice article. The X-15 looks like a good museum model if he doesn't want to fly it.

Latest posts

Back