Radio Controlled Upscale "JET-Freak"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I was curious as to whether Scott ever got to fly this thing. I finally flew my regular sized model (used a 13mm motor adapter with a streamer and ejected it) - it flew great on an A3-4T. I'm thinking of doing a BT-50 upscale to fly with 18mm motors (I want to use the motor pod so it is NAR contest legal) - I can't wait to see what the 135% upscale does under a C6. If it flies well, I may consider adapting it to RC using a Vapor as a donor for receiver and servos.

One other question, Scott - does your model retain the motor or eject it like the original version?

*sigh* No... It has not flown under rocket power yet. I even built an RC launch control for it so I can do it alone. It is the next one to be test flown when I make it out to do a non-public launch. If it flies well I want to do a BT-80 version like Afterburners suggested. All of my free time seems to be in the evening which is better for building than flying!

*Oh, and it ejects the motor mount with a small chute*

Last edited:
SHE FLEW!!! Went out today with kjohnson and finally subjected the Jet Freak to a D12-3 launch. The full up weight less the motor was 8.1 oz. I had added a .5 oz. of nose weight to the pod just to be on the safe side. We were trying to guess which way it would pitch during launch and we decided on downwards. I set up my RC ignition box, Kevin got his aerial and hand held cameras ready then gave me the "go ahead". Ignition! PERFECTLY straight up, hands off boost to about 500-600 ft, pod ejected and it settled in to a nice flat and fast glide. I am happy :grin:... Now I can't wait to upscale the upscale!

Scott that looks really neat! You bringing it to Mt Airy anytime ?

Here is the video. Higher resolutions will be up as YT gets them processed.

kj

[video=youtube_share;y8ItfgLSlGo]https://youtu.be/y8ItfgLSlGo[/video]

Couple of quick questions, I saw this rocket at hobbyworks recently, very impressed and want to make a kit for my son to build. The wings look to be solid balsa? Did you reinforce them? I had thought that you said in the store that it flew on 18mm motors, but the version here is 24. I was going to use some electronics from a champ, but if it's 24 mm I think I'll go up to micro servos, I like them better anyways. I found the original plans, going to upscale them soon, my son would love to combine his rocketry and airplanes together. Course, then he's gonna want to put rocket motors into boats and helis............. ah the dreams of youth.

I just watched the video " again ". The detail and building skills are just impressive. Scott, Have you flown this beauty again lately?

KZ, I think it is better you stop buy and personally talk to Scott about this "Freak". Make sure you take notes.

- R_R

Hey KZ, no, I said I WANTED to build a smaller version for 18mm motors :). The wings ARE solid 3/16" balsa, laminated with finishing epoxy and silkspan. Raul, yes, it has flown several more times... You are just never there to see it :p.

Yup, that sounds exactly like something I would mess up! I've never built a rcbg before, so if you were going to make it 18mm, what size would you recommend? I have a copy of the plans, but I am not sure if they are scaled accurately, it seems really small.
Thanks!

Yup, that sounds exactly like something I would mess up! I've never built a rcbg before, so if you were going to make it 18mm, what size would you recommend? I have a copy of the plans, but I am not sure if they are scaled accurately, it seems really small.
Thanks!

If you plan to use one of the Vapor or Champ bricks I would say make the motor pod a BT-50, roughly a 1.4x upscale. If you have some servos with a little more "umph", make the pod a BT-55 which would be about a 2x upscale.

I have plenty of smaller servos with more "umph". I'll scale it up to a bt 55 tube then, I'm going to make a kit for my son for Christmas. He will be very excited.

I have plenty of smaller servos with more "umph". I'll scale it up to a bt 55 tube then, I'm going to make a kit for my son for Christmas. He will be very excited.

Oh, when you set up the radio, you may want to set the expo on the ailerons kinda low... Otherwise he might be very excited in a bad way! :D

Thanks Raul! I TRY to bring rocketry to the next level :). Sadly, the "What Nose Cone Should I Put On My 3/4 FNC Rocket" type posts are what get the most attention on the forums.
Scott, that looks really awesome!

But seriously, what nose cones should I put on my 3/6/8/12 FNC rockets? So far it's mostly been the pointy ones that Estes sells 2 of in the package with 2 Big Bertha nose cones.

And seriously too, you *do* bring rocketry to the next level. (Which is about 17 levels above anything I could even consider doing.)

Back