Radio Controlled Upscale "JET-Freak"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Cow! I am sooo in love with this! Words, man, we need words! What size motors, what system, when launching? I'm drooling over here-this is too cool!!

Holy Cow! I am sooo in love with this! Words, man, we need words! What size motors, what system, when launching? I'm drooling over here-this is too cool!!

Thanks Fyrwrxz, I'm hoping for good flights on D12-3s, it weighs 7 oz without motor. System? I hope to launch it EVENTUALLY... I now have 4 unflown R/C models to try out... *And I'm about to start another one*

Is a very pretty model. Nice and impressive in person. Mine is still in parts. :(

kj

Thanks guys! The model is currently belly up on the dining room table getting solder and hot glue surgery to attach the on/off switch and route the wiring.

Very nice looking glider. I can't wait to see some launch pics and video.

OMG!!! What a blast from the past!!

I was the editor of the "Tarheel Rocketeer" and was at the launch where the designer (a 10 yr old kid whose name is long ago forgotten) flew it. It put in such a great performance that I traced the patterns right there on the spot.

It's cool to see stuff like that still being pertinent today.

Love this "Freak"!!! You never go for "easy" when it comes to your builds. The finish is absolutely gorgeous. And it is not one of those boring NC-3-4-fin designs! Kevin, go finish yours now!

I worked a little on it during the last club meeting. Have to start getting busy on a scale model, so this will be my project to work on when I feel like throwing that in the trash.

kj

Love this "Freak"!!! You never go for "easy" when it comes to your builds. The finish is absolutely gorgeous. And it is not one of those boring NC-3-4-fin designs! Kevin, go finish yours now!

Thanks Raul! I TRY to bring rocketry to the next level :). Sadly, the "What Nose Cone Should I Put On My 3/4 FNC Rocket" type posts are what get the most attention on the forums.

OMG!!! What a blast from the past!!

I was the editor of the "Tarheel Rocketeer" and was at the launch where the designer (a 10 yr old kid whose name is long ago forgotten) flew it. It put in such a great performance that I traced the patterns right there on the spot.

It's cool to see stuff like that still being pertinent today.

I'd love to meet the 40+ year old guy now and thank him! I love the simple sharp lines. If this flies halfway decently I'd like to upscale it yet again for an "F" motor. Thanks for posting the plans (a million years ago) Lawrence!!! Owner of Cookie dog! Don't fear RC!!! It is very cheap to get into and it makes rocketry more interactive! If you get something that boosts and glides hands off, just add some steering so you will always get it back!!!

Took Scott's Jet Freak up under my Radian for some test glides to check the trims. Great weather for it, and we got in about 3-4 flights to check things out without risking a rocket boost on an untried model.

kj

Here is the Freak loaded into the drop rig:
8677405129_a6f54471a1_b.jpg

8677405471_a8de9704c9_b.jpg

Climbing out to altitude:
8678511860_789553c418_b.jpg

Ready for drop:
8678512390_22dcfd5240_h.jpg

The blue tape on the rudder is holding a nickel and a penny that I added for weight. Here are a couple of pics I took of the drop mechanism I built for the plane.

DSC00987s.jpg

DSC00988s.jpg

DSC00989s.jpg

wow.
I flew a few jet freaks several years ago, but this just looks awesome. tempted to go build an upscale.

wow.
I flew a few jet freaks several years ago, but this just looks awesome. tempted to go build an upscale.

Well, if you do, I'll be happy to give you what I found to be the best location for the CG (hence the drop tests). I am hoping for a launch video here soon :).

Yeah, I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I was curious as to whether Scott ever got to fly this thing. I finally flew my regular sized model (used a 13mm motor adapter with a streamer and ejected it) - it flew great on an A3-4T. I'm thinking of doing a BT-50 upscale to fly with 18mm motors (I want to use the motor pod so it is NAR contest legal) - I can't wait to see what the 135% upscale does under a C6. If it flies well, I may consider adapting it to RC using a Vapor as a donor for receiver and servos.

One other question, Scott - does your model retain the motor or eject it like the original version?

Back