I think I figured out what is different... Then and Now...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think I figured out what is different in my rocketry now vs when I was 14... The cost of my hobby has gone up exponentially, as has my ability to afford some of the kits I wish I had when I was 14. If I could really afford every kit I wanted back then, I'd be sorely lacking in living space. ;)

1) Build a new house. (Post from 4 years ago: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?4008-YACR-(Yet-Another-Crayon-Rocket)-aka-quot-Color-the-Sun-quot&p=34504#post34504)
2) Fill with rockets.
3) When asked by wife why plethora of built rockets aren't flown at upcoming launch and time crunch looms on new builds, just shrug shoulders and say, "just because", or "it's the challenge."

Problem with part 3, Wife... Don't have one of those (nor husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, children, life)

20 + years between being into rockets. The best part about now is I can buy the ones I want within reason. DINK with a sugar mama and I like hobbies. Lost a scratch build rocket with a 24MM case on the first flight a few days ago. I am bummed, but it has my contact info on it with "reward if found" and am setting up my next order right now.

As a teen I saved up for each rocket or pack of motors. There was no way I could of afforded the rocket that took a pic back then. I drooled all over that package many times. Now you can get a camera and SD card for about $20 and get video :)

Problem with part 3, Wife... Don't have one of those (nor husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, children, life)

Then there is no one to apply the brakes, and you are free to become almost weirdly obsessed with your hobby...

Good luck to you, sir.

I remember as a kid staring at the Estes catalog for hours, pining away for the rockets I could never afford. And I think some of that same attitude stuck with me now that I am a BAR. Even now, sometimes I wonder if I should buy a rocket. But then I realize I'm worrying about something that costs about 30 bucks, and I probably spend more than that on lunch for two without even thinking about it. Actually, when I really look at rocketry prices, I'm kind of surprised how LITTLE kits costs now, and how MUCH motors cost. It seems like it used to be the opposite.

Rocketry is extremely cheap compared to some of the other hobbies I have had. I have probably only spent about $2000 since I got back into the hobby 3 years ago, which includes kits, parts, launch equipment, engines, finishing supplies, etc.

Compared to things like cars, photography, computer and technology equipment, rockets are still a relatively cheap investment. I will agree engines seem more expensive, but I always try to build my rockets to accept the engines offered at Hobby Lobby...where I can use that 40% off coupon to get engines to less than $2.00 per engine.

Of course, it helps that I cleaned out all the Boy Scout stores in San Antonio and Houston, plus the website when they were clearing out all their bulk packs. Engines were REALLY cheap with those sales...

FC

Rocketry is extremely cheap compared to some of the other hobbies I have had.

FC

So true. The low cost allowed me to go absolutely insane once I got back into the hobby and I am currently going insaner at a controlled pace paycheck to paycheck when I get play money.

Yea, compared to photography, shooting, motorcycles, smoking meat and my drinking habit..... Rocketry barely breaks the radar.... :) Really love this hobby.

I hear ya! Since the price of raves has gone up along with designer drugs, glo sticks and neon clothing, rocketry is much more affordable. Why, back in the day we didn't need glow sticks- or raves-or music for that matter, but I digress......

Rocketry is extremely cheap compared to some of the other hobbies I have had. I have probably only spent about $2000 since I got back into the hobby 3 years ago, which includes kits, parts, launch equipment, engines, finishing supplies, etc.

Well, I'll admit that I've spent a little more than that .... but the nice thing is that if flying big rockets ever gets too expensive for me, I'll still have fun building and flying the small ones.

-- Roger

Annnnnd... my rocket funds are spent. Order from hobbylinc, rocketarium, and balsa machine will keep me in rockety goodness for a bit.

The wife keeps mentioning my build pile (box) every time I order...... but I am just ordering parts and not kits dear ;)

She said I only get one expensive hobby and if I am going to shoot off $100 motors I will need to sell some pinball machines :(

So I am stuck in my happy area of the hobby. I can usually still see them at apogee and I get to play a bunch. I plan on getting my L1 in a couple months and I think that is as far as I will go. For me it is about the LPR launches I can do whenever the wind is light and I can get a few in that I can get back. I am very excited to launch some bigger motors at events, but I will be completely out of my comfort zone.

So I am stuck in my happy area of the hobby. I can usually still see them at apogee and I get to play a bunch. I plan on getting my L1 in a couple months and I think that is as far as I will go. For me it is about the LPR launches I can do whenever the wind is light and I can get a few in that I can get back. I am very excited to launch some bigger motors at events, but I will be completely out of my comfort zone.

That's where I am too. I like to see them at apogee, and I hate to lose them. And the hard part about losing them is not the money --- it's the heartbreak of losing something you spent time building. I think what I like best is building them bigger but not necessarily to go higher. And I like the noise and smoke and fire more than speed or altitude.

That said, I DEFINITELY need to find some organized launches and watch SOMEONE ELSE send them up over a mile!

For me it is about the LPR launches I can do whenever the wind is light and I can get a few in that I can get back.

This is where I am at, and will probably stay. HPR is interesting, but I can't ever see myself trying for a cert. Keeping it at an LPR level keeps it inexpensive and easily accessible. I like flying them low and slow in my local field. I occasionally hit the local NAR chapter fly days to fly my borderline MPR stuff and boost gliders. But that's it.

FC

This is where I am at, and will probably stay. HPR is interesting, but I can't ever see myself trying for a cert. Keeping it at an LPR level keeps it inexpensive and easily accessible. I like flying them low and slow in my local field. I occasionally hit the local NAR chapter fly days to fly my borderline MPR stuff and boost gliders. But that's it.

FC

Pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter too... I like the fact that LPR is cheap and MPR is exciting without breaking the bank...

NO WAY would I do a "cert"... I have enough gubmint paperwork and BS to deal with on the farm; I *simply refuse* to do paperwork or tests or whatever for what is supposed to be a RECREATIONAL activity-- a HOBBY... plus I'm FAR from convinced that all that "testing" makes a hill of beans in someone's expertise or safety anyway, given some of the things I've seen and experienced FIRSTHAND at HPR launches... I mean REALLY unsafe stuff, but more troubling than that, the "no harm, no foul" attitude that seems to go along with it most of the time...

That's why when the clubs are flying off our land, HPR is simply not allowed. Nor sparkies... those things are wildfires waiting to happen... I understand folks like them and want to fly them, as is their privilege... but they can go to Nevada to fly them or the desert areas of West Texas... because they're simply not allowed on our property, period. Same thing with HPR... folks like it, think it's cool, want to spend a truckload of money on it, more power to them-- just do it somewhere else! Things I've seen personally, and read about on here and elsewhere, would curl your hair... So while I've been to HPR clubs, I'm personally glad they're far, far away from me...

Anyway, there's plenty to keep one occupied in LPR/MPR without spending megabucks on HPR... IMHO...

Later! OL JR :)

Back