Estes Mini Fat Boy Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I am doing a remodel around the house so my rocket time and space has been diminished and my Estes Long John Silver is on hold. I still want to build so I decided to build this little rocket since it does not take up much space... This is a new kit from Estes and like always everything appears to be high quality. The decals are waterslide even though they look like peel and stick. The construction is straight forward with no modifications. In a matter of a couple hours she was built and off for 3 to 4 coats of balsa sealer.

DSC_1088.JPG

DSC_1091.JPG

DSC_1093.JPG

DSC_1097.JPG

Neat little kits! I also have one done up to primer. Also built a big brother BT-80 size upscale also done up to primer. Little one is stock 13 mm power, big brother is 24 mm. Haven't decided on 24 mm engines yet so no engine block in motor tube.

Trying to get them painted by Kloudburst event. Might wait until the event and see if I can get a wrap to do them both with.

Fun to build a simple kit that is a classic and will be a great flyer.

See ya,
Rod

I built a scratch rocket this winter that happened to have almost the same dimensions as this one. Does the stock build call for any nose weight? I added some to mine and it just doesn't feel right.

Mini Fat Boy Estes #2442

Got mine at a local hobby shop. Date stamped 11/29/12

Once you have one, it is easy to build to any other size you want. No mention of nose weight in the mini kit. Doesn't weigh much so it should scoot off the pad pretty quick. Launches on A10-3T engines.

I would think that if one were to try to put 18 mm engines in it, you would need to be cautious about the cg and nose weight. But my BT-80 version, same nose cone as mega mosquito, three balsa fins and ply rings darn near balance the same. No engines or recovery installed yet.

Both should be nice flyers.

See ya,
Rod

The Mini Fat Boy is done and it was a fun build. I brushed on 4 coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer and shot with Plastikote Primer. The red and blue are Testors spray cans.

DSC_1233.JPG

DSC_1237.JPG

DSC_1247.JPG

DSC_1257.jpg

Very nice, have you gotten a chance to launch it yet?

Mine are still in primer. Currently on wheat break for our launches. Gives me time to get ready for my motorcycle riding this summer. But will get right back into rockets after wheat harvest.

Got several projects trying to get ready for the next launches at the pasture. And the Mini Fat Boy and his big brother will be great fun.

See ya,
Rod

No, I have been stuck at work and unable to make it out during the day.

The Mini Fat Boy is done and it was a fun build. I brushed on 4 coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer and shot with Plastikote Primer. The red and blue are Testors spray cans.

View attachment 125248

View attachment 125249

View attachment 125250

View attachment 125251

Looks grea! I currently have mine primed and ready for paint. I want to keep this one stock since I love the designed color scheme and decals. You mentioned that you used Testors paints on your Mini Fat Boy. Do you mind sharing the names of the colors specifically? I’m having trouble finding that exact red and light blue locally for some reason. And I don’t trust picking colors via the web without having seen the color in person first. Thanks in advance buddy! Looks great!

Back