New scratch build, the Jersey Bomber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
What the HECK is wrong with me??? As if I don't already have enough rockets and projects, now I'm planning another one! Sheesh!

Anyway, this will be a 4" Mosquito upscale that I'm calling "The Jersey Bomber". The nickname came up in a Google search, and apparently it's slang for a large mosquito. This one will be 4" diameter, 32" tall (I'm stretching it a bit), have 1/4" plywood fins, a 38mm motor mount, and a fiberglass elliptical nose cone. I think it'll be a fun build, even if I don't need another rocket! I haven't decided on colors or graphics yet.

Cartoon_Mosquito_Carrying_a_Man_Off_110108-130813-199042.jpg

View attachment Mosquito_4in.ork

mosquito_hazard_55954.jpg

royalty-free-mosquito-clipart-illustration-442148.jpg

screenshot1.jpg

That should be a fun build as well as a great flying rocket.How about a candy apple red and blue metal flake?

Hey, metallic blue and red sound good. It'll go with the decal.

JerseyBomber.jpg

That's a winner,Stickershock decal?You should look at Duplicolor's different options,there's a metal flake for both colors.

Cool! I always love your builds and build threads. You just have a way of doing them that makes them that enjoyable to read. I often read through your build threads -- even if I've already read them many times, to just entertain myself. I can't wait to enjoy yet another one of your builds alongside you and the rest of TRF!!

Cool! I always love your builds and build threads. You just have a way of doing them that makes them that enjoyable to read. I often read through your build threads -- even if I've already read them many times, to just entertain myself. I can't wait to enjoy yet another one of your builds alongside you and the rest of TRF!!

Why thank you! That's very kind of you to say!

I had some problems with the fin template in Open Rocket, so I had to get creative.

05_fin_template.jpg

Attachments

• 01_fin_template.jpg
    01_fin_template.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 02_fin_template.jpg
    02_fin_template.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 04_fin_template.jpg
    04_fin_template.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 06_fin_template.jpg
    06_fin_template.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 27
I have a 4" LOC body tube that has some wrinkles in it. I decided to see if I could save it. I sanded the wrinkles a bit, applied some Bondo spot putty, and sanded that off.

07_wrinkles.jpg

08_wrinkles.jpg

09_wrinkles.jpg

10_wrinkles.jpg

11_wrinkles.jpg

I think it'll be okay. That Bondo spot putty sure sands easy, but I still hate sanding.

12_wrinkles.jpg

13_wrinkles.jpg

14_wrinkles.jpg

15_wrinkles.jpg

I used BCC0412 Inferno Red Met,a Chrysler color.I got it at AutoZone.I see that's it made in Cleveland. A 8oz. can a little pricey,but nice finish.They had a lot to chose from.Is the metalSpecks a two part process?

I used BCC0412 Inferno Red Met,a Chrysler color.I got it at AutoZone.I see that's it made in Cleveland. A 8oz. can a little pricey,but nice finish.They had a lot to chose from.Is the metalSpecks a two part process?

What did you use the metallic red on? I can't find any instructions for the Metal Specks paint. I don't know if there's a special undercoat or not.

What did you use the metallic red on? I can't find any instructions for the Metal Specks paint. I don't know if there's a special undercoat or not.
I used Rust-olium primer under the Dupilcolor,but that was a mistake.Make sure you use Duplicolor primer to play it safe.The staff at Autozone should answer any questions.The nose cone on my "Vapors"is painted with that color.Put Future on as a top coat.

I still hate sanding.
NO....REALLY? I thought everybody loved sanding. :wink: :lol:
Whats the span on them legs?
The DP-red is what I used on my "Ball-Buststar".WICKED nice color!
Anywhoo..That bugger will be a head turner.
A scratcher that will give you an itch ,the more you scratch this one the more you itch???????
I dont know, .......to early to be witty .....:yawn:

Got the centering rings cut out with a 4-1/4" hole saw, and sized on the lathe. The center holes were cut with a 1-9/16" hole saw.

16_centering_rings.jpg

17_centering_rings.jpg

18_centering_rings.jpg

19_centering_rings.jpg

20_centering_rings.jpg

I sanded the center holes with the Dremel until they fit snugly. Got the rail button blocks epoxied to the centering rings, and the blocks for the tee-nuts. I was going to use a forged eyebolt, but decided to use a u-bolt instead.

22_centering_rings.jpg

23_blocks.jpg

24_blocks.jpg

25_eyebolt.jpg

26_u-bolt.jpg

Duplicolor Metal Specs paint is a single can, their Metalcast line uses an undercoat - both very nice products.

Another great build in the works! Always enjoy your build threads. Very informative.

Got the rail button blocks sanded. Made a backing plate for the u-bolt out of a piece of 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum bar. And got the tee-nuts put in.

28_blocks.jpg

29_blocks.jpg

30_u-bolt.jpg

31_u-bolt.jpg

32_tee-nuts.jpg

While probably not necessary, I staked the ends of the u-bolt with a center punch. Then coated the u-bolt nuts and tee-nuts with epoxy.

33_u-bolt.jpg

34_u-bolt.jpg

36_u-bolt.jpg

37_tee-nuts.jpg

38_tee-nuts.jpg

Agreed on the DupliColor MetalSpecs. I am a bar and I had no problems with them. I used the DupliColor filler primer (gray) then DupliColor Sandable (white) then MetalSpecs. I am very happy with the results. I have NOT clear coated any of my rockets yet! I don't like taking the risk of destroying my work on the last step.
Cool build, paint scheme & name.

I'm using 1/4" birch plywood for the fins. Ever the frugal (cheap) one, I always try to save as much of the material as possible. So I cut a portion off of the plywood that I didn't need for the fins. As usual, I pinned the blanks together with 1/4" dowels, so I could cut and sand them together.

41_fins.jpg

42_fins.jpg

43_fins.jpg

44_fins.jpg

It was an easy matter to cut the round ends of the fins with the bandsaw.

45_fins.jpg

46_fins.jpg

47_fins.jpg

48_fins.jpg

Nice repair! Will the Bondo reinforce the weakness that the crinkle made in the tube? Are you going to slip a coupler on the inside of this repair to reinforce it?

Using my stationary belt/disc sander, i match sanded the fins, then made the last cuts. I gave the sides an initial sanding with my cordless sander.

49_fins.jpg

50_fins.jpg

51_fins.jpg

52_fins.jpg

I really hope you won't be dissatisfied with your choice of colors. That hard red on that hard blue is something we discouraged people from choosing when I was in the sign business. We had sample signs all over the place showing folks what the right choices were VS the....not so right. The blue & red made reading the text way harder than using text on a more contrasting background. Might check with Mark @ Stickershock for his opinion. Just some graphic food for thought. Love your drippy font!

Back