Problem with an Open Rocket fin template

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm working on an upscale mosquito, and I just tried to print the fin template. But parts of the fin are missing. Is it something I'm doing wrong? The fin template PDF is attached, as well as the JPEG I put together in Photoshop.

fin_template.jpg

View attachment fin_template.pdf

I tried couple of days ago to change to landscape , open rocket crashes for me , needed fin template for painting frenzy in landscape it looked like all would fit , as it printed the front fins was screwed up on 2 sheets .. so same problem here , I’m no help Openrocket print.jpg

I just got my fin to print right by using legal paper setting , went landscape / legal , confirmed on rocket its correct size .. needed that 2 days ago

frenzy landscape.jpg

I just ran into a similar problem with OR a couple of days ago with a new rocket design that I started to work on.

When I changed the layout to landscape the java process and attempted to print or save as PDF, OR starts to gobble up memory like crazy and basically freezes up. If I attempt to save as PDF the PDF that is generated is hundreds of megabytes in size.

The strange thing is that this same procedure works fine for other .ork design files... It is almost like there is some fin size threshold that OR is able to work with in landscape mode.

Cor

I just got my fin to print right by using legal paper setting , went landscape / legal , confirmed on rocket its correct size .. needed that 2 days ago

Great workaround michigander!!!

I just tried what you did and it now my fin template prints out.

So, it appears that with fins that have to be printed out in landscape orientation due to the size of the fin, you must also make sure that you select legal size paper. However, my results show that fins that can fit on a single letter sized can be printed in landscape mode without having to use legal sized paper...

Hmmm, should this be classified as a bug or an undocumented feature?

Thanks again.

Cor

I had the same problem with the 3" Vega fins. When you go to the "Export" tab, open the setting box. Change the paper size to A3, it is similar to 11x17. I had to go to Kinkos to get it printed, but that is a small price to pay...

Edit: I just looked at your OR file Jim, you will also have to switch to landscape to fit them in.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the 3" Vega fins. When you go to the "Export" tab, open the setting box. Change the paper size to A3, it is similar to 11x17. I had to go to Kinkos to get it printed, but that is a small price to pay...

Does Kinkos have 11x17 card stock?

There's gonna be a lot of drag and weight. A 54mm is just the thing to overcome that.

You've been an L2 for a couple of months already. You know you're gonna make an L3 attempt eventually so you may as well start playing around with those big motors. I hear cleaning them is a lot easier than the smaller hardware. You can just climb down inside and do the old wax on-wax off thing.

There's gonna be a lot of drag and weight. A 54mm is just the thing to overcome that.

You've been an L2 for a couple of months already. You know you're gonna make an L3 attempt eventually so you may as well start playing around with those big motors. I hear cleaning them is a lot easier than the smaller hardware. You can just climb down inside and do the old wax on-wax off thing.

Don't worry, I have some fun 54mm flights coming up.

Back