GIRD-09 -- Korolev's first design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie the Dog's Owner

Reaction score
GIRD (Gruppa Izucheniya Reaktivhogo Dvizheniya, "Group for the Investigation of Reactive Motion") was the USSR's first rocketry program, begun in 1931. The GIRD-09, arguably the first hybrid rocket, flew for the first time on August 17, 1933. Sergei Korolev, who later designed the R-7 (Soyuz) booster, was one of the project engineers.

G_09a.jpg gird-9.jpg

I was futzing around with Open Rocket and came up with a BT-55 sport scale approximation.

View attachment GIRD-9.ork

View attachment GIRD-09.pdf

Comments?

By the time I served in the Army of the Slovak Republic, I managed to steal in the garrison library very old plan of this rocket. It was there as a bookmark in a book about special areas of China in WWII period. It's even very old xerox copy. I do not know who drew it, and I do not know if still aliveand deals with rocket modeling. If so, I apologize to him that I did not consult with him published. But the plan is so good that it would be a shame to leave in the cabinet.
GIRD-9.jpg

By the time I served in the Army of the Slovak Republic, I managed to steal in the garrison library very old plan of this rocket. It was there as a bookmark in a book about special areas of China in WWII period. It's even very old xerox copy. I do not know who drew it, and I do not know if still aliveand deals with rocket modeling. If so, I apologize to him that I did not consult with him published. But the plan is so good that it would be a shame to leave in the cabinet.
View attachment 123425

I'll say it too! Thanks for sharing that.

A part of rocket history is preserved. I had not heard about GRID-9 until this posting. Amazing what was taking place in the 1930's in rocketry, Goddard, von Braun, Korolev were all busy.

Greg

Round, good to see you're still checking in. Nice photos.

Wonderful picture! It seems that from all these photos, could be quite a nice documentation. And on that colour picture is even GIRD-X. Somwhere on net I saw a plan for these rocket. Thanks for sharing Round!

Thank you, Friends, excellent rockets and high flights for all ...

On the net I found some pictures of this rocket. From some of, it seems that the nose cone landed separately, and the rest of the rocket too.

006_022.jpg gird-9 pristatie.jpg

The second photo I will not come as a Gird-9, but in the description it says that it is this rocket at the moment of landing. Also parachute reminds me rather postwar types (in Czechoslovakia PD-47). Now I do not know if make individually landing nose cone and body of the rocket separately (on a square parachute), or to let it go.
By the way, on the first picture is a young Korolev.

Some pictures of the progress of work on my Gird.

06052013399.jpg

06052013402.jpg

06052013403.jpg

First I tried to do it according to the plan of Cookie the Dog's Owner, but some things I have not been able to solve. (The shape of the nose cone did not seem the photos, I even had the impression that these Girds-09 was more then one, and with different heads; tail airframe I also wanted to make from balsa wood and polish) So I went into that in my old plan, even if I know it's going to be only semi-scale model.

GIRD-09 and GRID-X are included in Alway's "Rockets of the World". The GIRD-09's fuel was jellied petroleum placed in the combustion chamber. Liquid oxygen was forced into the combustion chamber by its own evaporation. So, I it was a hybrid motor.

Back