What was your First Composite Motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWmarlow

Reaction score
IIRC My First Attempt (Near the end of my first visit to the hobby) we attempted to launch An Enerjet F52...having no ignitor available we tried firing an estes 13mm motor up into the nozzle....it failed in a very exciting event....the second one was a USR F20 (Brown casing) using the supplied ignitor chuffed horribly rose from the pad and weather adjusted it's trajectory mostly to horizontal, passing over a row house with a couple of fellows enjoying adult sodas...we asked if they had "seen a missile fly over"....and as if it was something they see everyday they replied...."yeah it went behind the house"... oh here are pics of some things off the internet....thanks to the owners USR.SU.24-F.3pack.jpg andEnerjetStory031357646313_thumb_medium300_0.gif

Last edited:
From here

IMG_8436 by beerorkid, on Flickr
My first AT RMS E18-4W

FlatDaddyRMS1 by beerorkid, on Flickr

FlatDaddyRMS2 by beerorkid, on Flickr

FlatDaddyRMS3 by beerorkid, on Flickr

8524133343_f5c55e0ef4_o.gif

[video=youtube;mTo7-BvQ38s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTo7-BvQ38s[/video]

WARNING: very annoying laugh.

Aerotech SU F25. I was amazed at the amount of power and the color of the flame.

This year I launch my first K, a CTi K360. I suppose that I will have the same reaction as I did to that AT SU way back when....

My first was an AT G77R. Good motor. I was used to flying Cs and Ds!

[YOUTUBE]MHNgRbmhbeI[/YOUTUBE]

Alex

Around 1996 or 1997 I stopped in a local (now long gone) hobby store, saw the Estes Silver Comet and had to have it. Thus began my BAR journey. Then I found out about Aerotech motors and reloads. Put a E18-4 in my Silver Comet and I was HOOKED!

Adrian

An Enerjet F67...I think it was for F Eggloft at some midwest contest. Never seen again. Pretty darned awesome though.

An unmarked single use 29mm purchased from the back of a yellow van. Those from the early days in So. Cal might know of whom I speak. I believe it was referred to as a 'Firestarter'. Can't really tell you the date because that is lost in the mists of time, but pretty much pre-everything.

An unmarked single use 29mm purchased from the back of a yellow van. Those from the early days in So. Cal might know of whom I speak. I believe it was referred to as a 'Firestarter'. Can't really tell you the date because that is lost in the mists of time, but pretty much pre-everything.

artists conception of what this motor may or may not have looked like su-29-G45fs.jpg

Aerotech E15-4W. July 4, 1995, in my Estes Saturn V. Maiden flight for the rocket, too. The motor didn't light well and took forever to come up to pressure - which, given the model, was rather appropriate. :grin:

AT G40-7W, in a 29mm minimm diamiter... in my backyard... on a windy day... on a 1/8 inch rod... with super glued balsa fins. Needless to say, it shredded, raining parts onto my, and my neighbors houses. Oops.

I believe mine was a AT F25 SU in a scratch build out of a 3" mailing tube back in 1999. Only had flown A-C's years before in my youth. Graduated to L1 the year after and then L2 the following year. Now looking to get my L3 after all these years.

Last edited:
Aerotech G80 in an Apogee Aspire with some cub scouts I was leader of in 2005ish. The nosecone separated some point in the flight but we managed to find both parts. Repaired a popped fin and went to fly it again on another G80. The motor catoed; I still have the parts around for a rebuild. :D

My Estes Mercury Redstone, was too heavy for a standard BP "C" motor, so it forced me to look at other options.

The option I chose was the AeroTech RMS 18/20 using a D13 reload.

Great motor, and a successful flight. What a rush it was!

Greg

I started with composites in the early 80's and I flew the SSRS E30-8 and the F67-12 in the LASOR-134 sounding rocket. My first orders with Small Sounding Rocket Systems included these motors and the and LASOR-114 kit. Awesome low-smoke composites. EnerJet, Composite Dynamics ect. were not available here in the south although I wished I could have gotten my hands on those motors as well!

:)

Back