Orbital Transport BT-60 (1.68x) Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Jello

Reaction score
After toying around with the idea of making a glider launching rocket and doing an upscale project for a while, I decided to bite the bullet and do both in one. I really liked the old Estes Orbital Transport that Semroc makes a retro kit of:

Orbital%20Transport-sm.jpg

https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-66

It certainly isn't the easiest thing to do your first upscale of, but what the heck.

IMG_3704.jpg
Here are the BT-60, BT-55 and BT-50 tubes in candy cane mode. I got them from BMS since they sell tubes in 34" length and I wouldn't need a coupler for the main booster body tube.

IMG_3732.jpg
Since the balsa sheet layouts were available, it was easy to upscale them with my Photoshop skills and print them on large paper at work. Here are all the pieces. I did 1/8" basswood for the main booster wings and 1/8" balsa for the other pieces. Then I used 3/32" balsa for the glider wings. Since 4" thick stock is as wide as I could get, the wings had to be glued together in parts.

The engine mount will be made to take up to E engines. I got the stuff for that and the nose cones from SEMROC.

Nice! Are the nose cones custom turnings or are they standard Semroc cones?

Subscribed , I have the semroc kit if you need any measurements , upscale is on my bucket list :)

:pop:

Did some work today on the scramjet engines...

IMG_3734.jpgIMG_3736.jpg

Obviously, the wings and engines housings need sanding.

Back