Altimeter connecting question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSamurai

Reaction score
What is the best way to attach the Altimeter 1 to my Ventris MPR? Want to make sure it doesn't come off...

just stick it in the payload bay.

I was told that the ring it comes with isn't very reliable. I am going to attach it to the eyelet on the nose cone and I want to make sure it doesn't come off.

So it will be attached to the cone and inside the payload section? I'd say you're good.

So it will be attached to the cone and inside the payload section? I'd say you're good.

This is gonna sound dumb but what is the difference between the payload section on the AV bay?

The payload section is where the parachute is at right?

Then the AV section would be an area above that, closed off on the top and the bottom?

My Altimeter will be attached to the nose cone eyelet and will basically be resting on top of the parachute once I get it all int he body tube.

And I think Kevlar cord is what someone said I should use if I remember now. Can you buy such stuff at Lowe's or Home Depot?

well, in the ventris I was referring to the small space between the nosecone and transition as the payload bay. this is the short, fatter section of body tube. the parachute is attached to the transition and is stuffed into the lower body tube (where the motor is). if you go this route, you'll need three vent holes in the middle of the payload tube.

if you want to be safe, you can positively secure the altimeter to one of the loops on the nose cone or transition (or both) with line, cable tie, fishing clip, etc. I've seen references to the altimeter 2 hook as the cause of lost altimeters, but mine looks pretty stout. the ring is even beefier, which is all I used to secure it in the ventris.

well, in the ventris I was referring to the small space between the nosecone and transition as the payload bay. this is the short, fatter section of body tube. the parachute is attached to the transition and is stuffed into the lower body tube (where the motor is). if you go this route, you'll need three vent holes in the middle of the payload tube.

if you want to be safe, you can positively secure the altimeter to one of the loops on the nose cone or transition (or both) with line, cable tie, fishing clip, etc. I've seen references to the altimeter 2 hook as the cause of lost altimeters, but mine looks pretty stout. the ring is even beefier, which is all I used to secure it in the ventris.

Yeah the space in between is what I thought you were referring to. Unfortunately the directions called for them to be glued in there and that's what I did. : (

I have the Alt. 1 and from what I understand the vent holes aren't necessary for it. I'm launching tomorrow so I may do some afterwards. Thanks for the advice.

without the vent holes, the altimeter will measure the altitude at which ejection occurs, not appogee. if you choose the correct delay, then the difference between the two should be minimal.

attach the alt 1 to the nose section with the clip, then tape it to the shock cord.
rex

Back