Heat Shields of the Non-Rocket Kind

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Figured I'd continue to take advantage of the brain trust of the forum.

I have a wooden deck in the backyard that overhangs a patio. The top of the deck is about 10 feet above the patio

I want to put my fire pit underneath the deck without setting it on fire. Plan is to put a 16 foot by 16 foot heat shield out of corrugated steel over the firepit. The steel will be at least 8 feet above the firepit. The heat shield also has a very shallow slope, not enough (I think) to deviate the smoke but enough to shed water away from the firepit. It is a small firepit and I'm not planning on building any big flaming fires.

I will use 8 sheets of 4x8 foot corrugated steel, held in place with nine 2x4s each 16 feet long. The steel will be held on with screws.

Question 1: Do I need to put some kind of insulation between the steel and the 2x4s, or can I just put some aluminum tape over the 2x4s?
Question 2: If I DO need some sort of insulation, what would work?

Deck Heat Shield.jpg

With 8 ft seperation between the pit and overhang your good to go without any kind of insulation. --READ-NO LARGE FLAMES-- Hang the 2x4's every 12 inches instead of 16 so you don't get sag over time. Screws are fine for mounting the steel to the 2x4 framing but the framing should be bolted to the deck.If the deck has 16 or 20 inch centers, run a couple cross beams to stop the sagging-you'll need to rip the lower angle.---H

If you do decide to install an insulator between the steel and the support members, I would recommend Hardi-backer. It is a sheet product made from fiberglass and cement with extreme heat resistance and water resistance. Also, I would shim the edge of the heat shield that is away from the side of the house(not the back of the house which is where I assume your deck is attached, since you will end up directing smoke, and the optimum slope for drainage (away from the house) is the worst slope for smoke direction, and the smoke will tend to follow the up-slope and end up staining your house.

Just my :2:

G.D.

Just a word to the wise, you may want to contact the building inspector or the fire marshal's office about your installation. Numerous fires have been caused by fires spreading from a fire pit to an over hanging deck of a house. Even with 8 to 10 feet of clearance between the fire pit and your deck, the chance of a fire spreading to the main structure is very possible. By having your installation inspected or reviewed, you and your insurance company will be satisfied that you did everthing to code. I would hate to have you awaken to your house on fire, after an evening of enjoying a campfire.

Just a word to the wise, you may want to contact the building inspector or the fire marshal's office about your installation. Numerous fires have been caused by fires spreading from a fire pit to an over hanging deck of a house. Even with 8 to 10 feet of clearance between the fire pit and your deck, the chance of a fire spreading to the main structure is very possible. By having your installation inspected or reviewed, you and your insurance company will be satisfied that you did everthing to code. I would hate to have you awaken to your house on fire, after an evening of enjoying a campfire.

+1 Definately have the building inspector check your plans first, or ask about the clearance code in your area. Here it is at least 10 feet from any structure. Personally I would never have a firepit under a deck shielded or not.

Latest posts

Back