Camera Mounting Positions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was experimenting with where to mount a couple cameras on my rocket (3" 3x24mm) and this is what I came up with. I have one camera positioned to view upward and the other downward.

IMG_1853.jpgIMG_1854.jpgIMG_1855.jpg

As far as distance from the top to bottom I like the view. One you can see the fins and airframe and the other a nice view of the upper body and nose cone. I was going to mount them opposite of one another, but the launch lug would get in the way and I really wouldn't have room to tape them down. Also if I went a little high I would be concerned with the shock cord getting tangled and too low you lose the view of the fins and barely get the airframe.

Do you guys think where they are mounted it would work ok?

Looks fine to me but I would suggest taping off the card slot,buttons,mic and camera hole then paint them with the neon pink ya have in case the Velcro doesn't hold.

IMHO I'd think you'd want something a little "firmer" than Velcro... the camera will be free to move around some, and buffeting may make the video nearly unwatchable... plus it doesn't seem a particularly "secure" way of mounting the camera... if the wind and gee forces start working together on it, if the wind (slipstream) gets under it in flight and starts pushing on it from underneath, it might well rip the thing off the side of the rocket...

It'll be interesting to see the results...

Later! OL JR :)

IMHO I'd think you'd want something a little "firmer" than Velcro... the camera will be free to move around some, and buffeting may make the video nearly unwatchable... plus it doesn't seem a particularly "secure" way of mounting the camera... if the wind and gee forces start working together on it, if the wind (slipstream) gets under it in flight and starts pushing on it from underneath, it might well rip the thing off the side of the rocket...

It'll be interesting to see the results...

Later! OL JR :)

The last time I tried this it work well. I had a few wraps of tape to secure it. A neon streamer would be nice though.

Back