AGM-57X Heatseeker 4in Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodRocket

Reaction score
I have been playing with OpenRocket once again and decided to see if I could upscale one of the Estes AGM-57X Heatseeker E2X kits.

I put in the general dimensions of the kit and then scaled up to a 4in body tube. Then adjusted parts from there. Figuring out how to add some details while others are still tough to add. Used the coupler parts to build the engine retainer. I think I can use the mass object tab to add the rail guides. Also would like to add the details and a fin tab forward towards tip of fin much like the Estes kit. Could a fourth centering ring be added next to these forward tabs to be used as a cord mount? Might add one to see how it could work.

Seems to sim just fine. This is my largest rocket idea so far. Tried to copy the coupler idea from the kit. This would allow dual deploy.

Going to e-mail the guy who made my Mega Max wrap and see about either copying the kit decals and upscale those or go for a full wrap.

This project is only in planning, not going to do any building any time soon. Just want to get feedback on the design and methods.

So what do you think? A good project to try? Possibly Level 2 project? First dual deploy project? Sim altitude seems good to keep in sight. Still need to adjust mass of some parts like the cord mount hardware. Never truly know until the part is in hand.

Thanks for any feedback.

See ya,
Rod

Last edited:
If you want accurate rail buttons in OR, add a single fin the width and height of your buttons, then set the material to plastic or override the mass :)

I added the rail guides and changed things around for easier construction. The extra ring would have been a bear to get into position, it was removed. And tried to add the forward fin tabs by using a second set of fins, but it wouldn't work when I tried to run the sim.

This is getting really close. What is an acceptable decent rate for a rocket this size? This one seems to float down easy. Maybe it could be a bit faster, or go dual deploy. Can do dual deploy with this sim. Just pick deployment altitude for each chute. Learn something every time I use Open Rocket.

*****new file OR file below*****

Last edited:
Body tubing, check

Nose cone, check

Coupler section, check

Looks like I am going in. Any advice is welcome.

Thought about grabbing some centering rings, but decided those can wait. Still planning 38 mm engines, but may bump it up if needed.

Should be able to cut a fin pattern, body tube segments and get a feel for the size of this project this weekend.

Already planning to use one of the K&S bay kits. Like how they are so complete with parts, hardware and switches. The Stratologger will most likely be chosen for this project. Got the manual saved to my IPod and have been reading through it.

Got to shop chutes and hardware to get idea on sizes needed and weights to plug into sim.

Will try and post build pics as I get into construction. Not going to be in a hurry, finishing the Level 1 Mega Max and my other hobby, motorcycles, is quickly approaching riding season.

Thanks to the great folks and info here at Rocketyforums, Never dreamed I would be attempting a project like this when I started just barely over a year ago. It is the wealth of info here and the kind members that have given me the confidence to give a project like this a try.

See ya,
Rod

I always loved that rocket. Great project idea.

A long time ago I snapped the following pictures of an immaculate AGM-57X upscale project. I believe it was a 6 inch. I filed the pics on my computer in a folder that only said "Fall 2003" :facepalm:. I believe it was at Three Oaks.

Unfortunately I do not have pictures of it in flight and I do not remember what motor(s) it flew on. On the other hand I still remember the rocket very well :).

Enjoy.

DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0002.JPGDSCF0008.jpgDSCF0009.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Very nice. Those will come in handy come either for painting or wrapping.

Planning to have mine separate at the color change line, with main chute stored in the white section.

See ya,
Rod

Rod,

I few questions after looking at your OR file.

1. Why is the coupler so short? I don't think a Stratologger will fit in that. I'm not sure whose parts you are going to use but LOC 4" couplers are 6" long.
2. What is the shock cord for between the nose cone and the coupler? Is this going to be dual deploy? If so I would make the payload bay longer and the booster shorter. Less room for drogue and more room for main.
3. IMHO I don't think you need the middle centering ring. I would move the top CR up almost flush with MMT and make the fin tabs easier. I don't think you gain any strength with the middle CR it just makes the internal fillets hard to do.

Good luck. Awesome project and should be fun to fly.

That is what the coupler upscaled to from the small kit. I just haven't adjusted that yet until I get the K&S bay. The other issues will get worked out as I get the parts. When I entered the original parts, I just measured and built the sim parts to match as close as possible. Then I scaled the body up to 4 inches and everything else scaled up also.

I have the tube parts cut, but I will need to add about 6 inch section aft of bay so adjusting where the rocket sections separate can be worked out.

I can easily move the bay down and add the extra length for the main chute.

Thanks,
Rod

Anyone have a 9v battery that they can get a weight on. I am getting close on the Openrocket file. Added the chutes, cords, updating the weights to the parts I have, swapped around the body tubes a bit, trying to get the weight of the electronics and K&S E-Bay to get weights and layout as close as possible.

Updated file, Still needs weight of actual chutes, fins, recovery gear hardware, electronics. Stratologger weighs .45 oz according to the manual.

I added a coupler and bulkhead aft of the E-Bay to make a drogue chute bay. Talked it over with the hobby shop and thought it would work ok. Would make getting a clean apogee deployment easier by not having to pressure up the entire lower body section.

Discovered that I can indeed do a dual deploy sim with OR. Just select deployment time for each chute.

View attachment AGM-57X Heatseeker 4in upscale.ork

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, we need to meet at the next launch if we haven't already. I am the one who drives the old mail van. Trying to get a few ready for the Kloudburst launch next month.

See ya there,
Rod

An upscale of this one has been on my build list for a long time... I have some pics somewhere of a 4" that a friend of mine build and used to fly. It was a beauty and flew fantastic.

I look forward to watching the build.

Todd

I added the third centering ring back into the model. There will be two rings forward of the tab. Those will center motor tube and allow me to do the internal fillets easier, then just cap off with the aft ring. Which has the brass inserts for the engine retainer installed now. Little time consuming but drill press made the job easier.

Got a mock up pattern for the fin cut out of some foam poster board. The foam is 5 mm thick and I think the fins will look great. The detail bridging the fin gap could be made out of a dowel. Don't want to add any extra cuts into these fins. So I will probably notch the dowel to fit the fin.

K&S bay should get here any time next week. Got the cord anchor done. U-bolt inside the coupler, then coupler will be slid into lower body tube enough to clear E-bay and give enough room for chute.

After a lot of research, I really like the Spherachutes parachutes, so I will order those from Giant Leap when I get that far along. They just have that cool NASA look.

Also building a bench tool to do the fin slots. Sort of a home made router table for rocketry. Planing to have a way to have different 'stations' to do different things like cut tubes to length, slot tubes, bevel fins, those sort of tasks. A MDF stair tread will be the table. Got to visit a tool store to get the templates to make the router opening and make a fence. We have a damaged freight store in Wichita and will see about a bathroom sink base cabinet to use as a base. Still in planning stages. Got plans for fin slotting jigs in the works also.

Project is coming along pretty good so far. But main interest is in my Mega Max Lv1. Busy getting edges of fins nice and smooth for paint. Wrap skins won't go around the edge of the fins so they must get painted..

Also busy getting rockets ready for next months Kloudburst at Argonia.

See ya,
Rod

Thanks Dave, we need to meet at the next launch if we haven't already. I am the one who drives the old mail van. Trying to get a few ready for the Kloudburst launch next month.

See ya there,
Rod

I am planning on being there on Sunday. Can't come on Saturday. That is the first weekend of drag racing. My wife has a '71 Mustang that she races so I support her and she lets me build and launch rockets! I drive a tan Toyota Sienna. I saw your mail truck at AirFest. Look forward to meeting you.

Racecar1.JPG

Anyone have any experience with the composite honeycomb from Giant Leap? I am thinking to try some for the fins, with a hardwood strip around the edge for the taper. Stuff won't be cheap but I think this project is worth it.

Also thinking about how I want to build my work table. Have any of you used one of the new oscillating saws? Not the jig saws, but these newer tools with all the different blades and attachments. Dremel makes one as do many others. The tool uses to cut off plaster casts is the same thing.

This tool might become the center of the tool bench. Could be used for all sorts of rocketry construction.

See ya,
Rod

It was quite the wait for the AV-bay but it arrived and will work great. I got the 8" long version. The unit includes two rotary switches and two battery connectors. Got the bay assembled and test fitting with minor sanding will get it to fit and slide nicely. Bay will be nylon rivet to upper section. All basic rocketry construction. Fins will be ply. Still thinking about having those cut. Need to get a solid pattern first.

Getting other rockets ready for AIRFest so not spending much time on this one.

Rocket stands 66 1/2 inches tall.

Will shop for more parts and bits during AIRFest. All those great vendors makes finding parts easy.

See ya,
Rod

Got side tracked away from this project and recently found a Heatseeker that has already been built. So plans are in the works to buy it. The price is right and I will spend far more in materials to finish this project. I will find something to use the body tubing and e-bay on.

Back