mega der red max pic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genzod

Reaction score
here is my mega der red max on a cti G-80 sk and on an estes pro series G-80

red 2.jpg

Attachments

• der red g 80.jpg
    der red g 80.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 18
Ooooo, very nice shots. I like the show of sparks the skidmarks put out.

Any chance you tracked the altitude of these motors? I just built mine but it might be a bit before I get out to fly it. I'm getting second thoughts on how accurate Open Rocket is on max altitude for this rocket.

Thanks
Ken

We've been flying our Mega Max's at the monthly MDRA launches since November. My nephew(8) and niece(6) each have
a Mega Max(built 'mostly' by their father) and they like to place a little wager with their uncle-that would be me- on our Mega
Max drag races !! In fact my nephew showed up at yesterday's launch with "all his money" in a shoe box and he threw
down the gauntlet, and threw the box of his life savings, at my feet. Well, ....we raced, I won with my Copper Mega Max, but just barely(!!!) but alas,....the box with the money mysteriously had disappeared...hmmmm... :) Smart kid.

About an hour later we had a rematch with a different motor and he smoked me. You never know...

Anyway, we're planning for another 'drag race'(for show of course) next month at Red Glare.... maybe we can grow the field
a bit... and it is all for fun and to put on a little show.There are only winners, no losers.

Ok... altitudes,delays..etc......
We fly with 'Altimeter 2's' when we drag race(so we can declare a winner), but usually not when we just throw them up randomly for fun so I only have the following data-sorry the sample size isnt larger but this is what I have written down from the last few 'races' via
the Altimeter 2's.....

-We've used CTI 29mm only. No Estes/aerotech motors.

-We dont(!) build real light...ha. I dont care if the rocket goes X feet, or X + 25 feet if I go 'lighter'. My Max weighs just under 35 OZ
and thats ready to fly except for motor and barf. The MDRA club scale usually has us at 2.6 pounds with a 2-grain motor and 2.8
pounds with a 3-grain. We've yet to try a 4 grain, maybe at Red Glare.

-These flight were launched using 1/4" by 60" steel rods(probably about 55" of the rod sticks up above the thrust plate)

-We've only used barf-no nomex, and have had no melted chutes at all.

-We built stock except we substituted vinyl from Mark, and added eyebolts to the top CR's which will make swapping out for new elastic
shock cords(they've held up great so far!) easier down the road. I wasnt sure how well the kit elastic would do when we built the kits.

CTI 29 mm 2 grain...

G-88's(smokey sams).... 505 and 534 feet.(and top speed of 143mph)
----------

CTI 3 grains....

G-125(red lightnings)... 1034,917,965,and 979 feet(speeds 284mph,250 mph,233 mph,and 244mph respectively)

G-106(skidmarks)... 878 and 833 feet(speeds 224mph and 218)

We also have used 2 grain white thunders(G-126's) but I dont have any data for those flights,sorry.

-Delays: we have used 5 second delays for all 2-grain flights and 7 second delays for all 3-grain flights.
Results.....Good ! Delay of course depends on build weight, weather, motor choice,etc etc..... But we plan to continue
to use these delay times with future 2 and 3-grain flights. In each flight our Max's have deployed their chutes .5-1.5 seconds
after arcing over and the elastic in the kit has proven forgiving enough that the rockets remain undamaged-no zipper action etc.

...also,,,,even with the variety of motors, the stock plastic motor retainers that Estes supplies with the kits have no signs
of damage or wear yet. And the launch lugs(applied w/ JB weld) from the kit are working just fine as well.

YMMV of course.

Glenn, These numbers help alot, Thankyou. :cheers:
Your actual real data altitudes aren't even close to the Open Rocket altitudes when I input these motors into the program. My Mega Max is about the same weight as yours which tells me that Open Rocket is not working out properly with this kit. I had to add about 12 oz of weight on top of the 35oz to the rocket simulation to get it close to your altitudes. I think I might have to use the rocket weight + 12 oz in the sim when choosing different motors to get close to a realistic altitude.
Glen, If its ok I'd like to add your post into my thread where we have been discussing this concern with the Mega Max and Open Rocket simulation.

glenzod, sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Thanks
Ken

Last edited:
g dog,i think we met yesterday at mdra,i flew the der red there,i was talking with you when i took these pics, i also flew the super batray and minie magg

Ken,
Feel free to add any part of my post to the other thread that you like, no problem ! I dont know whats
up with the OR discrepancy but I am curious to know ! Using a rail as opposed to a rod might explain
a small part, but 12 extra ounces.... no weigh !! (pun intended).

And genzod.. HA! yeah, when I read your above post I thought.. "Wait, a guy with a Magg, a Max, and a
Batray..... I just met him yesterday !!! We shook hands..."

Hope to see you next month at Red Glare.
Hey, how did that 7 second delay work for you...? :)

It was perfect, thanks, will definitely be at red glare

Guys, I have been reading this thread with much enthusiasm as I am about to get out and launch my MDRM soon. In reading the specs for the available 29mms, without having my L1 cert yet, I am looking at a liftoff weight of around 37-38oz. I'll have an exact weight in a day or two when my new scale arrives, but I can weigh the components this evening seperately. (yeah its overbuilt, Fix-it fillets, eyebolt on forward CR, quick links, and nomex chute and shock cord protectors, tubular nylon cord) as far as I can find out which seems kind of high the Estes G80-7T has a max lift-off weight of 52oz where the AT G80T-7 is only 32oz. (hobbylinc website) Now, I can remove the quick links, change out the nomex for dog barf and save a few ounces if I need to. I just dont want the thing sitting there on the pad cuz its too heavy. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Between my nephew, nieces, wife and myself, we have 5 Mega's 'in the family'. However, we've only used 29mm CTI motors for them so I cannot
speak to the specifics of the estes/aerotech motors in this particular rocket. We dont fly ours with 2 grain CTI's anymore, its 3 grains+ or
bust !!

Have you considered putting an 'H' in it and getting your level-1 ??? Seriously, the Mega should be able to handle it.

Last edited:
our Max's have deployed their chutes .5-1.5 seconds after arcing over and the elastic in the kit has proven forgiving enough that the rockets remain undamaged-no zipper action etc.
YMMV of course.

I flew my MDRM last Saturday on an ANCIENT G80-4. The "-4" turned out to be more like "-8". She was heading in for a lawn dart and then, not more than 20 feet off the ground, popped her chute. No zipper, no nose dent - not a single bit of damage.

Our Mega Maxes were built by my kids--5 and 9 at the time of build--and came in at 1115g and 1190g. --while I can't say about the Estesaerotech motors (never flew one), they do quite well on CTI G-106's. If I had a G-80 on-hand, I'd give it a go, if the delay worked out to be right.

Next run, they'll be on H-123's.

Later!

--Coop

Between my nephew, nieces, wife and myself, we have 5 Mega's 'in the family'. However, we've only used 29mm CTI motors for them so I cannot
speak to the specifics of the estes/aerotech motors in this particular rocket. We dont fly ours with 2 grain CTI's anymore, its 3 grains+ or
bust !!

Have you considered putting an 'H' in it and getting your level-1 ??? Seriously, the Mega should be able to handle it.

G-Dog, I pretty much built it to get my L1 with but since never having flown G power, Id like to get a few flights under my belt on them first, but Im not entirely against jumping right to it. Heck, if theres a vendor there this weekend that has an H I might be easily swayed!

Our Mega Maxes were built by my kids--5 and 9 at the time of build--and came in at 1115g and 1190g. --while I can't say about the Estesaerotech motors (never flew one), they do quite well on CTI G-106's. If I had a G-80 on-hand, I'd give it a go, if the delay worked out to be right.

Next run, they'll be on H-123's.

Later!

--Coop

Coop, I have a G80 that'll probably be the first flight, see how it does, then like above might jump to L1

Ok, just got home from work and set the beast on the scale. The Pig weighs in at 40oz!! 43.3 with an Estes F50-6T. That includes all the recovery gear.
33oz empty.

I've flown my MDRM on AT H165R and H210R so far, both great flights. Stock build, no nose weight.

I launched mine on a AT H128, the delay was way too short popping the nose cone after motor burn out causing the cone to hit a fin, no damage to the fin, but can't say the same for the nose cone, the cone suffered two cracks which I'll have to fix:facepalm:

Back